How to start lifting at home

Options
mlyn627
mlyn627 Posts: 104 Member
Working on week #2 now and feeling pretty good! I have gone from no exercise whatsoever to doing T-25. The problem is I'm sick of it and my feet hurt from not having the best shoes. I have been thinking about incorporating weights into the mix I don't want to go to a gym yet though. My son has a curl bar and some pretty big dumb bells I can use, I just don't know where to start.

Replies

• jodybo2
    jodybo2 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    stronglifts 5x5
  • tracymayo1
    tracymayo1 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Doesn't stronglifts 5x5 need like gym weights for squats and such? I too would like to do weights at home. My BF has a weight bench I could use but not sure on what exercises to do...
  • mlyn627
    mlyn627 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    stronglifts 5x5

I am going to make myself look like a fool...but what does that even mean? lol
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    A lot of it depends on what equipment you have available to you and how much space you have available. Your routine is going to look a bit different if you have a power rack and barbell setup vs. if you just have some light dumb bells. If the former, you can look at SL5x5, Starting Strength, New Rules of Lifting for Women (haven't read it, but it gets favorable reviews), ICF... etc. If the latter, you might look into a calisthenics program (I've heard good things about convict conditioning, P90x is largely calisthenics, and I'm sure there are others) where your own body is the weight you're lifting.

Just my personal experience, but while adjustable dumb bells are nice (and I still use them all the time), my home setup didn't really come into its own until I picked up a power rack. That said, I now have an entire room devoted to working out. That works for me (as I live alone and my house is essentially a giant man cave anyways) but it's not feasible for everyone.

Just throwing this out there, but have you considered a gym? You can find a 24 hour gym for $20-30 in most areas that will have all the equipment you need to get started.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    stronglifts 5x5

I am going to make myself look like a fool...but what does that even mean? lol

It's just the name of a weight lifting program. You can google it to find the specifics of the program like what exercises you're supposed to do on what days.
  • acollis1
    acollis1 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    If you want a program to follow that is excellent for introducing you to weights, I used Chalean Extreme. I got mine on ebay for like $30, I'm currently doing a hybrid of CLX and T25.... My husband even did this with me and said it's a good program :)
  • jodybo2
    jodybo2 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I bought a weight bench, barbell, and weights to begin the stronglifts program at home. I googled the program after hearing about it on here. I watched the videos many times to try to learn proper form and even made myself notes to remind me how to stand, etc. I also downloaded the stronglifts app which helps you remember how many pounds you should be lifting on each of the exercises. I started out with weights way lower than recommended.