Calorie estimate of gym cardio machines

Options
I have read that the calorie estimates that gym machines give out such as ellipticals, treadmills, stairmasters, and bikes are largely inaccurate. However, my situation is such that I go to the gym 3 times a week for strength training and cardio 4-6 times a week. I am trying to lose fat. Is there a certain way not to have to worry about how many calories I am burning while I am doing cardio exercise? Perhaps I can exercise enough so that I can put myself into the moderately active or active category for my TDEE. Then I would not need to concern myself with exact calorie burn estimates. What intensity would I need to work at and how times a week to fall into these respective categories?

Replies

• jasveersingh925
    jasveersingh925 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ajnb88
    ajnb88 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I am in moderately active, and as such, MFP usually estimates my TDEE as higher than it actually is. (When I allowed negative calorie adjustments from my pedometer it made me really sad) for this reason I used to take a large chunk off what the cardio machines said I'd burnt, underestimating rather than overestimating basically.

Since I got a HRM though, I've found if anything they were underestimating it - obviously they're programmed with averages, so even with your age/weight, they are no way as accurate as something personally tuned to you.

Take them as a guide, and affirmation that you're putting effort, but don't swear by them if you can help it.