Desk job workouts?

Options
Hi,

I am fairly new to this site even though I joined a year ago. I finally realized that I need to get into shape, especially to set a good example for my son. I currently have a desk job and am looking for any exercise ideas of what I can do while at my desk. Lately I've been doing leg lifts but that's about it.

TIA!

Replies

• hridika
    Options
    Hi,
    I have been wondering about this myself. I actually put a kettle bell in my locker in the bathroom and try to use it 2-3x a day. Just doing swings
    I try to do a mini workout every time I go to the bathroom, squats, kettle swings, stretches, wall pushups (not going on the floor)
    Try to walk at lunch
    I get up often to get water or just wander around.
    I always had physically demanding jobs until this one.
    Gained 40lbs at a this desk job
    I haven't come up with anything really good, mayby I'll use a yoga ball instead of my chair.
  • jambondan1
    Options
    Hi,

I am fairly new to this site even though I joined a year ago. I finally realized that I need to get into shape, especially to set a good example for my son. I currently have a desk job and am looking for any exercise ideas of what I can do while at my desk. Lately I've been doing leg lifts but that's about it.

TIA!

great question to post!
  • thismamarox
    thismamarox Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have a 10 hour day desk job and I do one of 2 things... I stand most of the day by making a makeshift stand up workstation. This help me stay moving all day because I am either marching in place, rocking from one foot to the other, or doing leg lifts. When I want to sit, I use a yoga ball. I am always either bouncing on it, or rolling back and forth on it. It also helps to do those quick abs on your break and you don't even have to get on the floor.
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    I stand for at least two hours a day at my desk job. My employer is good about stuff like that, and those of us that wanted one got a VariDesk unit, which raises and lowers. We can also use the balance ball seats, but I don't use one.

I also take a quick power walk around the building once or twice a day, and always take the stairs. Park in the lot farthest from the door.

It might not be all what folks would consider to be formal exercise, but it still burns more calories that just sitting and staring at the computer for 8 hours.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    As a desk jockey myself, I'd advise just doing things day to day to improve your NEAT. For example, I park as far away from my office building as possible. I work on the third floor and take the stairs daily; if I need the restroom or the break room I use those facilities on the 1st floor. I park further away from the shopping market, etc. I also make sure I get up and just walk around at least once per hour, if for no other reason than to just get off my *kitten*.

Really, you aren't going to make any meaningful fitness improvements with much of anything you would be able to do sitting at a desk. To get fit and in shape I would recommend setting aside some time for actual fitness. It's difficult, but it can be done. I use my lunch break pretty much every day to get in a ride and I hit the weight room two nights per week and take a nice longer ride on either Saturday or Sunday. I also get up early a few days per week and take my dog out for a good 3ish mile walk.

Exercises at your desk are going to be of minimal benefit to your fitness and getting in shape and if you're just looking for calorie burn, that's going to be pretty minimal as well.