~6lbs of bloat and water weight retained in 1 day

Options
Sunday and Monday were high sodium days for me. I weighed in Monday morning at 151.4, Monday night I weighed in at 156.8.
I realize a lot of the weight is due to my sodium intake, how do you battle the bloat and what are some of the resources you count on for general advice in health and fitness?
I had someone ask if it was my scale on my page, no, I weighed my kids at the same time both times to make sure it wasn't playing tricks on me, my kids weighed the same. I weigh in in the buff so there is nothing that I was wearing that would have altered the data.

TYIA, I appreciate your responses and help

Replies

• socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Hi:

Reducing my added sodium has worked for me.

I minimize processed foods (usually have tons of sodium)
    I do not use salt in my food. I use cheese , herbs and spices to provide taste.

I drink a lot of water, either green tea without sugar nor sugar substitutes or plain water with some lemon and cucumber slices.
    If I can not avoid sodium (i.e. soy sauce in asian food) . I try to use to "reduce sodium" version and I use the minimum amount possible.

Good luck in your healthy journey
  • thismamarox
    thismamarox Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I am fighting the same issue. I gained 6 pounds over the weekend. TOM does not help to the bloat either. I have been drinking a ton of water (which i do anyways) and just watching my salt intake. I heard that Magnesium and potassium help with maintaining water weight as well. Most of the time it is out of our control and our body will do what it wants to do :(
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    its called the food and water sitting in your intestines and stomach nourishing you, and keeping you alive\.
    Weigh yourself in the morning only that is a more accurate for watching your weight.
  • aplhabetacheesecake
    Options
    it really just depends on the individual- my weight can fluctuate 8lbs in one day up or down, its insane.I just finished writing a paper for school and i snack when I write- over the week I ate freely and didnt track. I weighed in yesterday and gained 6lbs! I knew it was bloat, I weighed in again this morning, 4 of the 6 lbs are gone.
    Try not to focus on individual weights on specific days, look more at the trend- theres an app called happy scale that looks as the trend and can predict your ups and downs based on your personal entries.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Yeah, weigh in the morning only. And drink lots of water to flush out the sodium, and or work up a good sweat.
  • annangelich
    annangelich Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all of your helpful comments. I will have to check the happy scale app out.
    I drink quite a bit of water, I only log what I drink before I climb into bed, during the night I usually drink an 64oz
    I am watching my sodium today and from now on.
    I will have to look into the magnesium, I have some in my medicine cabinet that I take sometimes to prevent charlie-horses in my calves.
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Totally normal. Weigh in the morning.
  • EmotionalEater84
    EmotionalEater84 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Wait. You weighed in twice in one day? Is that right?

This is why you're told to weigh in at the same time every week (I don't recommend daily weigh-ins or two times a day for that matters, haha)!

You can fluctuate up to 10lbs!! It's common and nothing to worry about. Keep trucking and you'll continue to see losses :)
  • annangelich
    annangelich Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Wait. You weighed in twice in one day? Is that right?

This is why you're told to weigh in at the same time every week (I don't recommend daily weigh-ins or two times a day for that matters, haha)!

You can fluctuate up to 10lbs!! It's common and nothing to worry about. Keep trucking and you'll continue to see losses :)

I did weigh twice, only logged my morning one, but I wanted to see how much I fluctuated. When I weighed I noticed that my toes, hands, and ankles were swollen. That is why I was asking how to get rid of water weight and bloat. I normally weigh in every 10 days.
  • wildskies
    wildskies Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    My sodium intake is always high but a month or so ago I had a day that was extremely high even by my standards. The next day I had a 5 lb gain. I made a point of getting my sodium back down to my normal level and drinking as much water as I could stand (19 glasses that day). I also made a point of eating more protein than normal that next day, not sure if the added protein helped but within 2 days all of the water weight from the sodium was gone.

And if it helps, I weigh multiple times in a day. Always morning and night, sometimes more. I like seeing the fluctuation because it helps me keep closer track of what my body is doing. Doesn't work for everyone though.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Sunday and Monday were high sodium days for me. I weighed in Monday morning at 151.4, Monday night I weighed in at 156.8.
    I realize a lot of the weight is due to my sodium intake, how do you battle the bloat and what are some of the resources you count on for general advice in health and fitness?
    I had someone ask if it was my scale on my page, no, I weighed my kids at the same time both times to make sure it wasn't playing tricks on me, my kids weighed the same. I weigh in in the buff so there is nothing that I was wearing that would have altered the data.

TYIA, I appreciate your responses and help

I'm never, ever the same weight in the AM as I am the PM.

Anyway, if you suspect it's water weight - drink more water. From what I read (and someone correct me if I'm wrong), your body keeps a balance of salt and water in your blood. If the salt goes up, your body will retain water to keep that balance. To stop that, you need to drink more so you can flush the excess salt out of your body.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Drink tons of water and keep processed foods to a minimum.
  • Basilin
    Basilin Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any sources of information about what bloating is and how it occurs, and why it "disappears" overnight? It's all a bit nebulous, and google isn't very helpful.

I have pretty moderate sodium intake and I am well hydrated, but still bloat really bad and it seems unpredictable. I've read somewhere that it can be tied to hormones, as well.
  • Maryam2014mfp
    Options
    I have/had similar problems. Drink lots of water and if it is a day when you had more sodium, drink a couple cups of water before bed so your body will flush out more of the sodium in your sleep. You might need to get up to go use the washroom at night. If you weigh yourself consistently every morning you will see a pattern with your increases in relation to your sodium intake. (That's the benefit of weighing daily). Try to stay away from high sodium food items. As you log you will notice ones that have high counts. Take care :)
  • weight2go
    weight2go Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    If you are the age when "TOM" (time of the month) still visits-it will add another 5-7 pounds.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Why does water weight matter?

You know it's just the normal body fluctuation and that a specific reading on the scale means nothing

I say that as a currently DOMS and excess sodium and TOM bloated woman who knows it ain't fat so it doesn't matter
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Oh gosh. When it's my TOM I can bloat up 10+ pounds! Just IGNORE water weight or it can drive you crazy. Drink TONS of water and watch your sodium intake. Don't weigh more than once a day. That's just the way to madness.
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    First of all, stop weighing yourself multiple times per day/per week.
    Weigh in once per week, on the same day and at the same time (if possible), preferably in the morning before you've eaten and drank anything.
    Yes, sodium will make you retain water, but if you've eaten food all day, of course you are going to weigh more that night than you did in the morning.
    Heck, I've seen my scale go up 10 lbs after a weekend. It comes off at the end of the week.