How to measure ice cream accurately?

I'm curious how everyone here measures ice cream when they eat it. Honestly, its not that big of a deal, I've been eating low calorie ice cream or frozen yogurt almost every day for the past several months and my weight loss has been pretty accurate with MFP's projections so I figure I'm doing something right. Its just curiosity.

If you measure it in a measuring cup, do you pack it or not?

Do you measure it on a scale? The ice cream in the fridge right now is in ML and since my scale is in oz and grams I was just curious about what others do. I guess I could melt it down and try that approach haha.

Replies

• Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    weigh it. Whatever the serving weight size is what you should go by. Use your kitchen scale. google what it should be in grams. What kind of ice cream is it?
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Right next to servings mine has 1/2 cup (65g) where the nutrition facts are. I always put a bowl on a scale and scoop out my portions into that, always.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    I weigh mine. It's the most accurate way, IMO. Really hard to judge how much ice cream you are scooping out, and hard to pack it in to measuring cups.

I am loving my food scale. It makes calorie counting so much easier. :smile:
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    water displacement test
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    I'm curious how everyone here measures ice cream when they eat it. Honestly, its not that big of a deal, I've been eating low calorie ice cream or frozen yogurt almost every day for the past several months and my weight loss has been pretty accurate with MFP's projections so I figure I'm doing something right. Its just curiosity.

Do you measure it on a scale? The ice cream in the fridge right now is in ML and since my scale is in oz and grams I was just curious about what others do. I guess I could melt it down and try that approach haha.

Do not measure it. Notoriously unreliable for calorie counting.

Get a digital scale, put the bowl on the scale, zero the scale with the bowl on it, then add the ice cream. Most commercial ice creams will give you calories in grams per serving.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    I have this little scoop that takes about 1/4 cup so I go by that. 2 of these scoops is 1/2 cup. That said, I almost never eat ice cream because it's so many calories for such a tiny amount. Frozen fruit lets me eat more.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Also for 15 bucks you can get a scale that will offer measurements in ml, oz, grams, etc.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    I just eat the entire pint and then I know how many calories it was. :indifferent:
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    I weigh it.

IMAG0693_zpszyf4wxdw.jpg
  • pepperpat64
    pepperpat64 Posts: 423 Member
    I just eat the entire pint and then I know how many calories it was. :indifferent:

That really simplifies things! Thanks for the tip. :bigsmile:
  • D_squareG
    D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
    Aqua-calc.com does a ml to grams conversion for different substances. I just looked and they have frozen yogurt. I would guess it would be similar for ice cream. 50 ml was 57 grams.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Right next to servings mine has 1/2 cup (65g) where the nutrition facts are. I always put a bowl on a scale and scoop out my portions into that, always.

This, exactly.
  • NotShena
    NotShena Posts: 172 Member
    I just eat the whole pint and log it.
  • When I buy a (paper) pint like Ben & Jerry's, I LITERALLY cut the carton into four equal parts. I enjoy one in a bowl, and put the other quarters into a gallon-sized Ziploc bag into the freezer.

Otherwise, I measure with a mental 1/2 cup measuring cup and I do pack the ice cream.

Or, I buy pre-portioned single servings; fudge bars, etc.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member

Always a food scale. Trying to use measuring cup is honestly harder, prone to error due to how it is packed, and food scales are cheap.

All foods I have seen give the measurement in grams in parenthesis, at least in the US. I have heard that is not the same case in Canada. If a weight is not given but the net weight is on the package, you can figure it out from the net weight and number of servings per container.
  • GGDaddy
    GGDaddy Posts: 289 Member
    I measure it using inches not cm because then it's a lower number.

Okay, seriously, best move is to weigh it.

Pro tip:
    - Put the container on a food scale, press "tare" to zero it
    - Scoop out your ice cream and put in the bowl
    - Now the amount showing on the scale is how much to log, and you can safely lick the spoon
  • colibri23
    colibri23 Posts: 223 Member
    water displacement test

lolz
  • boredlimodriver
    boredlimodriver Posts: 264 Member
    kitchen scale and a bowl. Weight not volume
  • alyssareyans
    alyssareyans Posts: 88 Member

^^this is what I do too. :blushing:
  • kbeyer23
    kbeyer23 Posts: 88 Member
    Before I got my food scale I was packing it into a 1/2 Cup measuring cup and then transfering it to an ice cream cone (my preferred way of enjoying this small of an amount of ice cream. It looks so pathetic in a bowl, haha). Anyhow, now that I have a scale with a grams setting, I use that instead. Guess what? I think in comparing the two methods- I actually get MORE now that I use the scale.

(P.S. Edy's churned Double Fudge Brownie ice cream is really, really good for a lower fat/calorie option. Just a tip!) :happy: