I'm new 'round here

Options
Pandorian
Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
Hey all, just getting started on here, friend introduced me to the site over the holidays and boy am I glad they did.

I've worked with a nutritionist prior to this but I found it inconvenient tracking the foods, finding the nutritional info to write down what it was I was eating and I'm up 15 lbs beyond what I was when I started working with her. Stresses, lack of attention, just pure access to the junk-food (working in a convenience store) being around it all the time it was hard to skip it, why take lunch when the stuff is there on the shelf to buy, I know it got at times to the point where I was spending an hours wages on nothing but junk at the store... So I am where I am.

But being here, seeing how easy it is to enter the foods you eat, the exercise you do, well its motivating, and it helps me keep track automatically, like today I know I am at my calorie limit, so even if the temptation for something extra comes up I won't have it tonight. Or I can go exercise and free up some more calorie room that way. I want this weight off and it's been so... rough starting.

I'm working on it, have changed to eating more wholesome foods, I don't eat white-bread any more except on the rare occasion it's home-made so its just flour, yeast, and a pinch of salt usually, and even then I usually use whole-wheat flour.
This year I had a garden so still feasting on the yield from that, potatoes, carrots, beets, next year the raspberry canes will have some yield, and we had livestock too so the freezer is full of what I know to be pastured beef and naturally raised pork.

Snacks are my downfall though I always want something sweet, actually usually crave the sweets the most when I'm drinking soft-drinks as well (diet coke, diet pepsi, (whichever is cheaper) diet store-brand if I just want the caffeine... I drink a lot more tea, the occasional coffee, just plain ol' water, haven't had pop around in 4 days now, there for a while it could be 2L container a day, over the holidays when pop was around with 2 of us drinking it it took a couple days for most of them.

Well I think this is long enough for now just wanted to say hey, and I've got a LONG way to go to get where I want to be, so glad this is here to make this so easy.

Replies

• anjharsh
    anjharsh Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    believe me you are not alone, i have tried weight watchers online and this is similar but free, and alot more support i think. what's done is done, we are here b/c we want a new start and want to commit to a healthy lifestyle. i am not gonna give up pizza but i am not gonna eat it like i used to, also fruit can help your craving for sweets, buy the apples pre-sliced in bags in the produce aisle this helps alot! you can grab it and go. start off little changes, like i ate subway today but i left off cheese that just adds more fat, i ate a few potato chips but i looked them up and added them to my calories, hold yourself accountable and think positive you can do it! feel free to add me as a friend if you want i am new to this to, ps. about the sodas start drinking ice cold water i put a bottle in the freezer half full then when i wake up i fill the other half with water i find i get hooked on drinking water more when its ice cold, when i wanna reach for a soda i think drink a little bit of ice water and most times i dont reach for soda. i only buy soda because my husband refuses to stop drinking it. let him have all the calories! good luck!
  • sugarbeans
    sugarbeans Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard!!!!
    Glad you have finally checked the site out like I suggested back in December( just teasing you cause I can).

I am here for you and to help you along with your journey. If you have troubles or questions please feel free to come to me. I look forward to working toward our goals together and relish in the success.

Sugar cravings I get them too however I have been making homemade popsicles with juice/water... at 54 Cal a popsicle can't go wrong and for some reason it seems to help cut the pop craving.

I too believe that you can't deny yourself the foods you love but limit how much or modify them so that they are healthier. =)