outdoor running in prose.

Options
i have been running on a treadmill since february and had a pretty good routine going, and i like the methodical nature of it... especially with a good trance playlist. but my goal was to get into outdoor running in october when the weather cooled down and start training for bloomsday in the spring. so i started today. and i just wanted to share a benefit of running outdors as opposed to the treadmill. i still like me a good zoned out thought free treadmill run but this was quite a run! i ran i think 4 miles at hiit.

all was uneventful if not a little cold and tiring at first, as i ran along the busy street past the county line toward the edge of town. the sun was out but the air chilly as any late september morning. past 57th ave where the the city stops and all becomes quiet. i stop at the library for a quick drink and jog past the gated communities toward the elementary school, where children are playing happily at recess. past the school the trees become thick, and the sidewalk stops, a narrow shoulder all that is keeping you from the cars on the road, if there were any. large mansions loom ahead with their manicured lawns and shiny new cars, i veer right, past the old cememtary, with its brick entry and quiet history, like a scene from a western movie or black and white horror flick, toward the bluff. i run on a country road to the edge of a valley down below, where i take in the view. rest a moment and catch my breath, and turn back. it is warming up a little now and the sun is warm on my face, evaporating the sweat . i catch a movement out of the corner of my eye. to my right, just a few feet away i see him. a young buck, only two points on his antlers, golden coat, graceful long legs and big friendly eyes. he stares at me perfectly still. i stop and say hello, tell him he is beautiful. we regard each other as two creatures with a right to be on this earth. neither of us wanting to be the first to run away. but it is i who runs. quickly away. past the SUV with the driver who cant stop texting and watch the road, at a sprint past the school, the world speeding by as i push myself to the limits of my still heavy body. my lungs burning, my face burning. then i slow and walk in the warmth of the sun and feel the pounding beat of my heart.

Replies

• chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    anyway not sure if thats prose or not but feel free to share poetic stories of your run here too :) if you are so inclined.