My grandpa asked me this yesterday

SafariLara
SafariLara Posts: 172
edited September 22 in Chit-Chat
Yesterday, my grandpa came up to me and said "How many people live in New York City?"

Me: ummm no clue

"about 8.5 million"

Me:...okay

"So if Everyone in New York City lost 10 pounds, would it be enough to change the gravitational pull of the earth?"

Me: ummm good question hahaha

Lol silly 80 year old man. But it got me thinking... How big of an impact would it have on the world if everyone took control of their health and lost a seemingly small amount of weight? Can small changes really make that big of a difference?
:)
I think so.
Have a healthy week everyone! Even your small efforts makes a difference!

Replies

• SoldierDad
    SoldierDad Posts: 1,602
    I am not smart enough to be doing all this math! You burned my brain out! But made me smile!
  • ObviousIndigo
    ObviousIndigo Posts: 382 Member
    Elderly people are so wise!! What a riddle hey? I imagine it would do something. If people are more aware and respectful of themselves then chances are they will be so towards other people and their surroundings. Take a look at this site for example. I have no idea how many people are on this site but everyone is reaching toward one common goal, to lose weight and be healthier. With that comes a number of people that respect themselves enough to make a change and each other not to be rude and callous towards others. I think if it didn't make a huge physical difference on the earth it would make a huge social change:)
    Just my thoughts for the day!
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    aww your grandpa's cute! :wink:

Thanks for sharing this.

Dani :flowerforyou:
  • Haha, a very thought provoking man! What a question, definitely made me think. :)
  • ChuckgM3
    ChuckgM3 Posts: 302 Member
    Probably not since those 10 lbs per person would still likely be in the same relative geographic location just as other things. Waste, compost, uneaten food etc. At least for the immediate future for the purposes of your grandfathers question assuming it were somewhat rapid and concentrated weight loss. Matter is matter it doesn't just evaporate.
  • Probably not since those 10 lbs per person would still likely be in the same relative geographic location just as other things. Waste, compost, uneaten food etc. At least for the immediate future for the purposes of your grandfathers question assuming it were somewhat rapid and concentrated weight loss. Matter is matter it doesn't just evaporate.

HAHA if matter doesnt just evaporate then where did all those pounds you lost go??? TOTALLY KIDDING. Don't answer that.

I think my grampy was just trying to make a cute point, but if weight did just evaporate wouldnt that be so convenient! ;)
This discussion has been closed.