Relatively healthy desserts kids can make?

Options
swimmermama
swimmermama Posts: 526 Member
My daughter (4 years old) is having my niece (8 years) over for dinner tonight. I think it would be fun to have them make a little treat for after dinner. Anyone know of an easy treat that young children can help with? I don't want anything that has over 10 minutes of prep time.

My first idea is yogurt covered berries (http://www.familyfreshmeals.com/2013/05/frozen-yogurt-covered-blueberries.html) but my daughter had yogurt for breakfast this morning...

Replies

• DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    What about a smoothie? My 5 and 3 year olds love smoothies with banana and mango. Your daughter could choose the fruit maybe and help put it in the blender. Put it in a nice glass with a colourful straw.
  • S_Murphree
    Options
    One of my friends gave me this idea. She took a caramel rice cake. Then spread a thin layer of peanut butter and sliced bananas. My kids also like it with nutella and bananas.

Also, strawberries dipped in Nutella is good.
  • JCM1969
    JCM1969 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Does it have to be healthy?? A treat is a treat after all esp when kids are involved... rice krispie treats... microwave smores....
    What about some no cook Peanut butter bon bons... ? I know Ive seen many variations... it involves butter, pb, powdered sugar etc...
  • ChildrenCryinNCoffee
    Options
    For about 150 calories: 5 Nilla Wafer Cookies, smear 1/2 tsp of Nutella (or PB) on each, layer with strawberry or Banana slices.

Faux Grilled Cheese: 2 pieces of Whole Wheat Bread, 2 Tbsp of Caramel Sauce, Banana slices. Grill like a grilled cheese or on a panini maker. Cut in half, each kid gets a 1/2 with some milk.

Greek Yogurt mixed with Banana-flavored Pudding mix, Banana slices, a drizzle of Honey or Caramel and a Graham Cracker sheet.

Smores with PB instead of Chocolate.
  • swimmermama
    Options
    Great ideas, everyone! Thank you!
  • farberry
    farberry Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Fruit skewers are fun and colourful. You may want to chop up the fruit yourself or supervise the 8 year old doing that. Then they can have fun threading rainbow colours onto bamboo skewers. You can serve it with a drizzle of melted chocolate, or a pot to dip in, and have dark chocolate yourself/with the adults.
  • msalamun
    msalamun Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Here's one of my favorites: Peanut Butter Protein Balls

-1/3 cup all-natural peanut butter
    -1/4 cup all-natural honey
    -1 scoop chocolate whey protein powder
    -3 Tbsp. ground flaxseed
    -3 Tbsp. dark chocolate chips

Directions:
    1) Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl. Roll into 10 balls (about 1 heaping Tbsp.per serving)
    2) Refrigerate (overnight for best results)

Enjoy!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Here's one of my favorites: Peanut Butter Protein Balls

-1/3 cup all-natural peanut butter
    -1/4 cup all-natural honey
    -1 scoop chocolate whey protein powder
    -3 Tbsp. ground flaxseed
    -3 Tbsp. dark chocolate chips

Directions:
    1) Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl. Roll into 10 balls (about 1 heaping Tbsp.per serving)
    2) Refrigerate (overnight for best results)

Enjoy!

Should you give protein powder to a 4 and 8 year old?
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    my kids love making these muffins.

One can of pumpkin
    one box of cake mix
    a handful of chocolate chips
    maybe a little bit of milk if it looks to thick

cook according to cake package directions.

Have fun! :smile:
  • swimmermama
    Options
    I love all of these ideas!

I might do this, with the options of using peanut butter...

http://www.superhealthykids.com/healthy-kids-recipes/3-minute-apple-pie.php