A question about weight loss comments and weight gain

Options
I have seen threads about some people getting offended that no one commented on their weight loss or asking when will people notice that they lost weight..So for those who are overly fond of weight loss comments, what about weight gain comments? Would you be also okay with people commenting if you were to pack on the pounds?

Replies

• ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    No, I wouldn't like that. :(
    When I gained back weight after losing it in the past... no one said words like that specifically, but they did ask things like "So, are you still eating healthy" or "are you still following that fitness program you were into?" Which was obvious they noticed the weight gain but weren't going to say it out loud.

I don't like my weight being brought up... I just don't like being the center of attention.
    But sometimes I enjoy compliments, they encourage. Just kind of depends who gives the compliments.
  • gurlygirlrcr80
    gurlygirlrcr80 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I don't mind being held responsible for my weight. But anyone who dishes it out better be prepared to take it back and better be the example of a perfect dieter themselves. Otherwise...game on.
  • Tanie98
    Tanie98 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    No, I wouldn't like that. :(
    When I gained back weight after losing it in the past... no one said words like that specifically, but they did ask things like "So, are you still eating healthy" or "are you still following that fitness program you were into?" Which was obvious they noticed the weight gain but weren't going to say it out loud.

I don't like my weight being brought up... I just don't like being the center of attention.
    But sometimes I enjoy compliments, they encourage. Just kind of depends who gives the compliments.

Same here, I don't mind the weight loss comments but I am not overly fond of them :) I have also had people comment on my weight gain and I didn't appriaciate it
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Probably the worst thing anyone has ever said to me was my great uncles wife, who commented when I returned home for thanksgiving I regained some lost weight my last year of grad school after moving 3000 miles away from home (where I live now) "the food in Los Angeles must be good, Cara".
    She had never commented on my weight loss. I simply prefer people keep their comments to something vague like " you look nice" with no mention of weight.
  • TheCrawlingChaos
    TheCrawlingChaos Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    i would have loved it if more people commented about my weight gain as it was happening. It might have motivated me to get in shape a lot sooner.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    my grandmother passed a photo of me which was hanging on the wall in my parents house. she said, "wow you were heavy in that picture!"
    (photo taken about 4 years ago)
    i was upset, but trying to keep in mind she is 91 years old. LOL :laugh:

i would rather not hear any comments either way. even when i lose weight, i don't care if anyone notices or says anything. i'm doing it for myself, not others. i would much rather get a nice compliment on my hair or a new outfit, etc.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    Options
    Probably the worst thing anyone has ever said to me was my great uncles wife, who commented when I returned home for thanksgiving I regained some lost weight my last year of grad school after moving 3000 miles away from home (where I live now) "the food in Los Angeles must be good, Cara".

OWCH!!! :grumble:
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why people think weight is an appropriate topic of discussion. Don't comment on it either way to me. It's awkward, embarrassing and completely uncomfortable.
  • forkofpower
    forkofpower Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I actually find it rude to bring up a person's weight loss, unless they bring it up to me first, unambiguously. I don't know if this person wants their weightloss to be called to attention, or if they were suffering from an illness or something. Similarly, I will never ask anyone about their pregnancy, unless I know for a fact they are actually pregnant.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    Options
    I actually find it rude to bring up a person's weight loss, unless they bring it up to me first, unambiguously. I don't know if this person wants their weightloss to be called to attention, or if they were suffering from an illness or something. Similarly, I will never ask anyone about their pregnancy, unless I know for a fact they are actually pregnant.

yes, someone asked me when i was due after my baby was born. it was so humiliating. i had to say, "i already had her." and she wasn't with me, so it was hard to explain, and i probably sounded like i was lying. i cried that night. people need to mind their own business.:sad:
  • alliecat523
    alliecat523 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    A store clerk asked me when my baby is due last week. Mid 20's and never been pregnant. I cried when I was alone (was shopping with friends) and then forced myself to eat the next day. Usually this would have caused me to go the next without eating anything so at least that's a step forward for me. It's NEVER okay to discuss someone's weight unless you are already discussing dieting and weight loss.
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    In my experience, alot of people who are "on a diet" can't wait to tell you in the lunch room all about how much weight they've lost, and why their diet is the only diet in the world that works. Or how their workout was that morning.

I personally don't need validation from work colleagues. Couldn't care less. Flirty comments from my OH on the other hand are most welcome. Especially when I know he loved me just as much when I was 40lb heavier.