Clueless about strength training

Options
Hi all. I am new to MFP, happy to report a 9 day streak. Anyhow, I am trying to incorporate daily exercise and am new to it. I have home workout DVDs that I have been doing almost daily (for 9 days) and actually look forward to (comes as a surprise to me because 10 days ago I was pretty sedentary except for yoga that I still do, but don't count because I consider that more for my mind than my body and it's not intense strength - more meditative) I am looking to incorporate strength training but don't know what to do/where to start. I have a small bench press set with dumbbells and various weights. I am hoping to tone and not bulk, I would love definition but I am not interested in maxing out just knowing what to do with repetitions. Today I completed 5 (difficult) sets of 30 reps of 30 lbs. Is this a good place to start? Should I keep with that or change? Should I try to increase my weight or sets or reps, etc...? Any (serious) advice would be greatly appreciated. I am 28 and female (I assume that factors in) also, looking for friends/motivation; would certainly love any friend requests. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    There are free workouts on bodybuilding.com for dumbells. Try it for a few weeks and if you like it get a barbell :D

Haha that's my weapon of choice but there are loads of options. Have a google for bodyweight routines too. As long as you're making whatever you're doing progressively harder you should see some good results.
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I am just starting out myself. I'm currently working myself into a program called Stronglifts 5x5 which I'm enjoying. I would say maybe look into that. From what I understand women won't get bulky by accident. You have to work to get a bulky body and you're not going to do it by just lifting alone.
  • MasterBroshi
    MasterBroshi Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    There is a website called aworkoutroutine that helped me get started. I recommend reading through all of it.
  • jaggerjia
    Options
    Thank you all! Appreciate a direction.