How do you keep track of your calories?

kendradl
kendradl Posts: 595 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
When you are the gym and use 2 or more different machines, how do you keep track of your calories until you are done and get home to log them? Short of carrying a piece of paper and a pen I have no options anything that can be suggested would be awesome.

Thanx

Replies

• BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Heart rate monitor that logs calories?
  • Steph_Anie
    Steph_Anie Posts: 82 Member
    alot of people wear heart rate monitors and just go by that, I just log mine as one thing for that set time- for example- I work out for 45 minutes doing a variety of things, but I just log it as general aerobics and go by what mfp says it burns
  • i just scribble mine down on my hand...not much better lol :embarassed:
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    When I first started I did carry a pencil and paper with me. There are usually cup holders on the machines, so it's not a big deal. Now I just use one or two machines and I can usually remember the time spent and calories burned.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    I keep track of the minutes/times doing weights and also of what ever calories the trademill shows at the end of my workout. I write all the information down in a piece of paper and then I log it in the database.

When I take pilates, yoga, dance or Curves, I just enter the exercise name and time expent doing it in the database. I don't use a HRM so I just take what ever then MFP database shows in my exercise diary.

So far, so good. I lost the extra weight and I am now in maintenance.
  • biosciencegal
    biosciencegal Posts: 16 Member
    Heart rate monitors are way more accurate than the machines. I have a Polar F6 and love it. When I see how many calories I'm actually burning, it motivates me to burn even more!
  • I would say a heart rate monitor too. It keeps track of your heart so it's more on point anyway with the calories you've burned. I want one really bad i just haven't gotten around to buy it yet.
  • RachM
    RachM Posts: 113 Member
    I use a HRM, but before that I would bring my phone to the gym - I know, I know drives people nuts, but I only texted I swear! Anyways my phone and my ipod touch have a memo app that I used to jot down my calories!

Good luck!
  • kendradl
    Thanx everyone for all the suggestions, I would love to take my phone with me and use it for my music and associated apps as well but have to figure out how to take it and not have to hold it in my hand the whole time. I am sure I will figure something out :smile:
  • Bubs05
    Bubs05 Posts: 179 Member
    Thanx everyone for all the suggestions, I would love to take my phone with me and use it for my music and associated apps as well but have to figure out how to take it and not have to hold it in my hand the whole time. I am sure I will figure something out :smile:

I use my phone as a replacement for an ipod and I just bought a generic music player arm band for $7.00 at Wal-Mart. It isn't made specifically for my phone but it works fine.
  • kendradl

I use my phone as a replacement for an ipod and I just bought a generic music player arm band for $7.00 at Wal-Mart. It isn't made specifically for my phone but it works fine.

I tried doing that and the armband I bought I can't get my phone into it, I may have to go look again and see if they have something else there and maybe try it before I buy it. Thanx
  • 20carrots
    20carrots Posts: 279 Member
    You could also use your phone to take a picture of the workout screen as you finish.
  • kendradl
    You could also use your phone to take a picture of the workout screen as you finish.

Another great idea that I never thought of - Thanx!
This discussion has been closed.