5K goal-setting

Options
What is a reasonable 5K goal time for a beginner runner?
Looking at my runs on runkeeper, I pretty consistently finish the first 3.1 miles in 34-35 minutes. That would be including 1/2 mile or so warm-up at a slow jog, and finishing the rest at a comfortably hard pace. I come in tired, but not exhausted.

With 7 weeks of training, and the additional effort of actually racing, how much faster could I expect to be?

As much as I would like to join the sub-30 minute club, I just don't want to be disappointed by setting a goal that is not really achievable in this time frame.

I would love some advice! Thanks!

Replies

• newhealthykim
    newhealthykim Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    My first goal was to finish. My second goal was to finish in 45 minutes. My final goal is to finish in 30 minutes. I don't think there is any specific goal other than the one you set for yourself. Personally, I think a 11:30 min/mile pace is super fast.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    It depends on the runner. I've never been a good endurance runner in the least...and a 5K for me is an endurance run. Even when I was in the military and ran pretty much everyday for 3-5 miles, I generally finished at the back of the pack and barely passed the running portion of the PT test every time. I was always a tremendous sprinter though...

For me, a 10 minute mile for a 5K would be pretty phenomenal...for my wife, she would be extremely disappointing.

Personally, I'd just train and see where you are...do a run with the goal to finish while running the whole thing or something...from there you have a baseline for improvement and setting new goals. They really are going to vary wildly from individual to individual...even if all of the individuals are beginners.
  • Thanks for the replies!
    I guess what I really wanted to know is if there is speed/pacing equivalent of the "10%" rule (where you should be able to increase your mileage about 10% per week). Because, at least for me, it is much easier to make myself run farther than to run faster and I want to make sure I am not holding myself back.
  • jfeakins
    jfeakins Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I just finished my first race last week (I was sooo nervous, by the way!) and my goal was just to finish without having to stop for walk breaks. I did stop twice- once for water and once to stretch out a side stitch, but otherwise I was happy to finish my first 10k in 68 mins. I'm THRILLED with that!

My point is--you get caught up in the adrenaline of running with a crowd and it makes it easy to keep pace. I think you should set your goal for 11 minute miles- so 33 mins total. But don't be disappointed if you go over. Who knows- you may even go under! :)

Good luck!!
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies!
    I guess what I really wanted to know is if there is speed/pacing equivalent of the "10%" rule (where you should be able to increase your mileage about 10% per week). Because, at least for me, it is much easier to make myself run farther than to run faster and I want to make sure I am not holding myself back.

How much do you run right now?

Just starting out, adding speed work will increase your injury risk. For new runners, the best way to increase speed is to run more miles without worrying about pace.

If you've been running a certain amount of miles/week comfortably for a few months, you can try to incorporate intervals and tempo runs into your workouts to help lower your times. A general rule is that your 'quality' (fast) miles shouldn't be more than 10-20% of your total weekly mileage.

I looked at a previous 5k improvement schedule I was doing, and I had something like 35-40 miles a week, with 2 speed workouts, one that was 6 total miles w/ 6x800m intervals , and one that was 5 total miles w/ 3x1600m (mile repeats). You probably don't want to jump into something that intense (unless you're already consistently running 35 miles/week), but it gives you an idea of the kinds of workouts you could do.
  • gabbo34
    gabbo34 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I started a C25K program back in July and ran my first race on September 20th. I wasn't a runner at all. I hated running. I detested it. I was winded after just a few minutes.

I finished the program and was doing 3.1 in about 31-32 minutes. My goal for the race was to finish at a 10 minute mile pace.

But after training alone, the race was a different environment. You're pumped with adrenaline, running with other people and just find yourself keeping pace with someone (or trying to pass someone) instead of running your face. Despite reading all the warnings, I started out a bit too fast and didn't find my rhythm until about halfway through the race. I finished in 27:38. I was thrilled, but absolutely spent.

With 7 more weeks, I'd shoot for 31 minutes on race day. Then any extra race day boost is just gravy. Good luck!!
  • IsaCaliBel
    IsaCaliBel Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have good speed already. I finished my first 5k in like 40-45 mins.
    I was just excited that I did it!

73529108.png