Weight Loss Muscle Gain?

Options
I maintain at least a 1,000 calorie deficit every day and had initially lost 23 pounds to put me at 277 pounds. I am 6 feet tall and 28 years old. I began lifting weights again about a month ago (I used to lift regularly up until a couple of years ago). I gained about 7 pounds over the past few weeks while my waist and belly measurements have decreased. The muscles in my arms and chest have almost doubled in size. Is it possible I am continuing to lose fat yet building muscle at the same time to account for this gain?

Replies

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Not much help, but can give you a bump above the spam barrage!
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    double post, sorry!
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I think it is possible to gain a small amount of muscle when starting a new lifting program ('newbie gains') but overall the general consensus around here seems to be that you cannot gain any significant muscle while eating a caloric deficit. From experience, however, I know that starting a new exercise regime (especially weights) can cause your body to retain water to repair the muscles, which could explain the 'gain'.
  • ScottDowell
    ScottDowell Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    As per me its better for you that firstly you have to loose weight, to gain muscle you have to eat the foods from which you gain muscle easily like meat, chicken and milk etc.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I maintain at least a 1,000 calorie deficit every day and had initially lost 23 pounds to put me at 277 pounds. I am 6 feet tall and 28 years old. I began lifting weights again about a month ago (I used to lift regularly up until a couple of years ago). I gained about 7 pounds over the past few weeks while my waist and belly measurements have decreased. The muscles in my arms and chest have almost doubled in size. Is it possible I am continuing to lose fat yet building muscle at the same time to account for this gain?

How did you figure out bold?
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    It's doubtful that you have gained any muscle at all with a 1000 calorie daily deficit. Even "newbie" gains would be questionable with your history (and that deficit).

It's more likely that your muscles are getting tighter (the existing fibers), and that as the fat comes off they are becoming more visible. There may also be a bit of water retention, but that would also affect your scale weight. And keep in mind that you can very well become stronger (make gains in your lifting) without adding muscle mass, especially since you've lifted before.

But keep lifting! It will help maintain that muscle as you drop the fat. And, as you've discovered, you look better. It's also a lot of fun :wink: As you get closer to your goal, you will want to decrease your deficit, and when you are near maintenance it is possible to do a slow body recomp (Or your can consider a bulk/cut cycle)
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options

If you gained 7 pounds in the past two weeks, you are not maintaining a 1000 calorie deficit.
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna say the extra size is water in the muscle. This is referred to as "the pump". You did not gain 7 lbs in a 1000cal deficit!
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options

If you gained 7 pounds in the past two weeks, you are not maintaining a 1000 calorie deficit.

I completely missed that ... thought he said he'd lost 7 pounds. Yeah, I agree, you won't gain weight at all with a 1000 calorie deficit!!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

Not necessarily true. Over two weeks a person can have a lot of water retention depending on workout routine, sodium amounts, etc... but its a guarantee that it's not muscle. Muscle does not grow that fast. Since the OP is obese,it's possible for them to gain a few lb do muscle over time, but I don't that is what is occurring. I would suggest it's water retention.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Yes, but not that much at all - more likely it is water retention in your muscles.
  • bokaba
    bokaba Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I don't know how else to rationalize the weight gain when my measurements are decreasing and I appear to be getting visibly thinner. I am going to try shaving off 500 more calories per day and see if that makes a difference.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Shaving off 500 calories won't help you hold off water retention. Just keep doing what you are doing and watch progress over a 4-8 week period. Also, eat foods high in magnesium and potassium. They can help mitigate some water weight. But honestly, if you are lifting, you will retain some water as your much will increase fluid retention to repair muscle.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I don't know how else to rationalize the weight gain when my measurements are decreasing and I appear to be getting visibly thinner. I am going to try shaving off 500 more calories per day and see if that makes a difference.

Why?