Options

Replies

• trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Same thread...same reply...

Eeuuuw, shakes. :sick:
    not just ewwww shakes...

but EWWWW OP that won't listen about how 20lbs in a month is ridiculous, shakes or no.

also EWwwwww white knights that just support whatever, regardless.

and then Eeeuuuw.... sales pitch morons that send PM's about some majestic bucket of crap that they're trying to sell.

Sales pitch lady just hit another thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1461122-building-diet-plans-where-to-start
    of course it is. that's all she does.

it's a shell account. been here since 2009 and every post is selling something.
    I wonder what she was selling when she first started here... and what it's changed to now.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Same thread...same reply...

Eeuuuw, shakes. :sick:
    not just ewwww shakes...

but EWWWW OP that won't listen about how 20lbs in a month is ridiculous, shakes or no.

also EWwwwww white knights that just support whatever, regardless.

and then Eeeuuuw.... sales pitch morons that send PM's about some majestic bucket of crap that they're trying to sell.

Sales pitch lady just hit another thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1461122-building-diet-plans-where-to-start
    of course it is. that's all she does.

it's a shell account. been here since 2009 and every post is selling something.
    I wonder what she was selling when she first started here... and what it's changed to now.

:laugh:
  • jke78
    jke78 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Everyone's different, so if it is something you want to do then go for it...

Be prepared though, I did the Cambridge weight plan (twice), although I lost shed loads of weight I put every single pound and then some back on.
    It's tough to do a complete meal replacement as well, you do feel quite isolated so clear your calendar because the socials go out the window :smile:

SlimFast have the highest sugar content of all of them so you may be best going for a more reputable balanced plan.

So if I said I want to lose 20lbs by this weekend, I'm going to cut off my arm .. would you say just go for it???

I am not on here to debate with someone whio is going to take what you say, exaggerate it to a ridiculous level and then try to challenge you on it. I am just trying to add something a little bit more productive to the conversation.

Bad advice is bad advice. Trying to lose 20 lbs in a month is ridiculous, encouraging it is even more ridiculous.

And you follow it with I tried something similar and gained everything back when I stopped. Recommending to people to just go for it now matter what the plan, is bad advice.

Unproductive advice is unproductive advice. People are going to do whatever they want to do - as if me writing "No that's insane" on a forum is going to stop someone making up their own mind?
    There were good and bad points to doing the plan, such as I felt healthier, my stomach problems disappeared, my skin cleared up, nails looked better than ever etc. Was it good long term - No, was it drastic - Yes...
    What you want is to chastise someone for trying something different and quite frankly I’m not that way inclined.
    So at the end of the day, opinions are like ars*holes - everyone has one

Ok so the problem I have with your "people are going to do whatever they want to do" comes from personal experience. I used to maintain my "ideal" weight by eating one meal, every other day. That's right, ONE freaking meal ever OTHER day. In between I kept myself full of coffee and nicotine to manage. I'm 4ft 10in, any type of weight shows up quickly on my body, I actually thought 75lbs was good!!! Not once did anyone tell me to stop, no one said that I would have future heart problems, bone/joint issues, that I was sitting myself up for an early grave. Instead everyone raved about how thin and good I looked, how they wished they looked like me. Maybe if someone had told me to stop it would have helped, maybe not, the point is that NO ONE did! I loved it when I was pregnant with my kids, I could eat!!! But once the babies were born and the breastfeeding done I was back to my old regimen.

I quit smoking a few months ago and subsequently gained some weight, but I didn't let it stop me from quitting. I'm here on My Fitness Pal because I am not happy with my body and I am so tired of starving myself literally to death. I'm ready to take charge of my life and do what is right for my body, so to hear someone actually encouraging someone to "go for it" for something so drastic really agitates me.
  • PRMinx
    Options

Be prepared though, I did the Cambridge weight plan (twice), although I lost shed loads of weight I put every single pound and then some back on.
    It's tough to do a complete meal replacement as well, you do feel quite isolated so clear your calendar because the socials go out the window :smile:

SlimFast have the highest sugar content of all of them so you may be best going for a more reputable balanced plan.

So if I said I want to lose 20lbs by this weekend, I'm going to cut off my arm .. would you say just go for it???

I am not on here to debate with someone whio is going to take what you say, exaggerate it to a ridiculous level and then try to challenge you on it. I am just trying to add something a little bit more productive to the conversation.

Bad advice is bad advice. Trying to lose 20 lbs in a month is ridiculous, encouraging it is even more ridiculous.

And you follow it with I tried something similar and gained everything back when I stopped. Recommending to people to just go for it now matter what the plan, is bad advice.

Unproductive advice is unproductive advice. People are going to do whatever they want to do - as if me writing "No that's insane" on a forum is going to stop someone making up their own mind?
    There were good and bad points to doing the plan, such as I felt healthier, my stomach problems disappeared, my skin cleared up, nails looked better than ever etc. Was it good long term - No, was it drastic - Yes...
    What you want is to chastise someone for trying something different and quite frankly I’m not that way inclined.

Ok so the problem I have with your "people are going to do whatever they want to do" comes from personal experience. I used to maintain my "ideal" weight by eating one meal, every other day. That's right, ONE freaking meal ever OTHER day. In between I kept myself full of coffee and nicotine to manage. I'm 4ft 10in, any type of weight shows up quickly on my body, I actually thought 75lbs was good!!! Not once did anyone tell me to stop, no one said that I would have future heart problems, bone/joint issues, that I was sitting myself up for an early grave. Instead everyone raved about how thin and good I looked, how they wished they looked like me. Maybe if someone had told me to stop it would have helped, maybe not, the point is that NO ONE did! I loved it when I was pregnant with my kids, I could eat!!! But once the babies were born and the breastfeeding done I was back to my old regimen.

I quit smoking a few months ago and subsequently gained some weight, but I didn't let it stop me from quitting. I'm here on My Fitness Pal because I am not happy with my body and I am so tired of starving myself literally to death. I'm ready to take charge of my life and do what is right for my body, so to hear someone actually encouraging someone to "go for it" for something so drastic really agitates me.

Thank you for sharing your story. Good luck on your journey towards recovery. :flowerforyou:
  • TheKingsChampion
    Options

I think we can only do so much to help someone. Even if they do ask, it doesn't mean they will take your advice. they might just brush it off and follow their own head anyway, in which case there's not much more you can do to stop them.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I like slim fast shakes for nutritional purposes but doing this to drop 20 pounds in 1 month seems like an unrealistic goal.
  • PRMinx
    Options
    I like slim fast shakes for nutritional purposes but doing this to drop 20 pounds in 1 month seems like an unrealistic goal.

There's nothing in a Slim Fast shake that you can't get from eating a well-rounded diet of real foods.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options

There's nothing in a Slim Fast shake that you can't get from eating a well-rounded diet of real foods.

Bingo.
  • 20yearsyounger
    Options

Bingo.

True, but you are under estimating lack of time. Better to get something than nothing.
  • PRMinx
    Options

Bingo.

True, but you are under estimating lack of time. Better to get something than nothing.

Meh. With a little preparation, there are a lot of things that you can eat that take no time and are much better for you.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

Bingo.

So what you're saying is that eating a well-rounded diet of real foods gets you nothing?

*looks at ticker* I guess all the weight I've lost and that my friends have lost much be nothing.
  • jasonmh630
    Options

Bingo.

I see your point, but lack of time was not brought up (best I can remember reading). I was just reiterating the points that were made. Being that, 1) Slimfast isn't some magic weight loss tool and that 2) losing 20 pounds in one month is not sustainable in the slightest and is quite possibly unsafe.
  • 20yearsyounger
    Options

Bingo.

I see your point, but lack of time was not brought up (best I can remember reading). I was just reiterating the points that were made. Being that, 1) Slimfast isn't some magic weight loss tool and that 2) losing 20 pounds in one month is not sustainable in the slightest and is quite possibly unsafe.

Understand. What I was trying to say is that the slimfast isn't dangerous. The weight loss goal is.
  • PRMinx
    Options

Bingo.

Understand. What I was trying to say is that the slimfast isn't dangerous. The weight loss goal is.

Slimfast itself isn't dangerous - but, the concept behind it can be. And it certainly isn't a nutritional powerhouse.
  • jasonmh630
    Options

Bingo.

You're absolutely right, and I don't think anyone here was saying the slimfast was unsafe. Their point is if you can eat real food and achieve the same endgame, then why would you not do that?
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

Thank you for sharing your story! You're awesome. :flowerforyou:
  • 20yearsyounger
    Options
    There are many ways to accomplish a goal...Maybe I don't want to prepare. Slimfast didn't put me at starting weight. A stagnant lifestyle and the ability to eat out at will did. If I use it every now and then to fit my macros, then so be it. There is always something better available no matter what you do. The point is, the goal the OP is aiming for is not healthy.
  • Niff314
    Niff314 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I find that some whey protein (Optimum Nutrition is my favorite) with some frozen strawberries and a banana is the perfect meal replacement - plenty of calories, protein, nutrients, and it tastes amazing. I use them in the morning when I'm running low on time and after lifting to aid in recovery. Awesome stuff.
  • BoutThatBass
    Options
    Okay OP, here's the deal, from someone who used to consume Slim Fast shakes:

#1 - They don't taste that great.
    #2 - They're not nearly as filling (or as nutritional) as a shake you could make yourself, at home, for the same or possibly fewer calories.
    #3 - You will be STARVING if you try to follow their silly "meal plan" nonsense, and you will fail at sticking to it.

You're not going to lose 20 lbs. in a month in a way that's safe and healthy (unless you have 100+ lbs. to lose, then you might be able to see that kind of loss, but if you were in the 100+ lbs. to lose camp, I don't think you'd be trying to lose 20 lbs. in a rush for an event, so I'm assuming this doesn't apply to you).

Here's what you can do to look better in time for your event:
    1 - Eat a healthy diet - cut out all the processed junk, cut out all the fast food, and definitely cut the soda (yes, even diet, it's basically a can full of chemicals and studies have shown that diet soda can trigger some people to overeat). Go for fruits and veggies, lean meats (if you're not a vegetarian), and complex carbs like sweet potatoes, quinoa, brown rice, multigrain bread, etc.
    2 - Stick to your MFP-recommended calorie goal.
    3 - Drink lots of water.
    4 - Aim for a low-sodium diet - sodium can cause water retention, which is what gives people that bloated, spongy look.
    3 - Start doing some form of cardio - walking is a great option if you've never worked out before.
    4 - Start strength training - get a set of light dumbbells (3 or 5 lbs. to start would work) and go on YouTube and search for 10 or 20 minute "total body" dumbbell workouts.

Will you lose 20 lbs. in a month doing this? Nope, probably not. But you could lose 8 lbs. in a month, and by combining a healthy diet with exercise you'll improve your body composition, which is more important than the number on the scale anyway, as far as looking good for an event is concerned. (And if you want to work Slim Fast or other shakes into your day as part of an overall healthy eating plan, there's nothing wrong with that - the problems with Slim Fast are from trying to follow the whole "just have shakes all day, every day" plan, which is nutritionally and calorically incomplete, not to mention likely to leave you feeling really, really hungry.)
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    20 pounds in 1 month is absolutely crazy. Keep in mind you'll be messing with your body and nutrition just to look good for one day. Do the best you can with healthy eating. Even if you only lose 5 pounds your body will thank you.

Second all of the bolded. And you'll probably be hangry for the next month.