Bad NIght!

Options
:sad: Tonight at work, on top of bad tips from tables that I work my but off for, my last table of the night was a guy sitting by himself and he asked me if I was pregnant! :mad: My uniform while working in the bar is black pants apron and a fitted black shirt. I am sure I do look pregnant because I carry my weight in my midsection, but really who thinks its ok to ask someone that??? Anyway I am sad because I have been working really hard...

Replies

• ranibauer
    ranibauer Posts: 73
    Options
    :sad: Tonight at work, on top of bad tips from tables that I work my but off for, my last table of the night was a guy sitting by himself and he asked me if I was pregnant! :mad: My uniform while working in the bar is black pants apron and a fitted black shirt. I am sure I do look pregnant because I carry my weight in my midsection, but really who thinks its ok to ask someone that??? Anyway I am sad because I have been working really hard...
  • melli
    melli Posts: 14
    Options
    i can so rely on how you feel girl!!
    I've had a terrible night,too. People are just taking advantage of me at work, and I am so fed up wit it.
    I am so ready to quit......but we can't let people like that get us down :)
    What a jerk for him to ask you that........
    Don't be sad, it will all work out and your hard work will be rewarded......keep up the good work I see you've lost 12lbs.....good for you..I'm jelouse..lol...
    I hope the rest of you r night goes better
  • fynendandi1
    fynendandi1 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Oh my that is so awful. I have had that happen to me and it really does make you feel bad. But just think soon you will be at your goal and you won't ever have to go through that again. :smile:
  • GonnaDoIt
    GonnaDoIt Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have been asked that too. It does hurt so bad. One night I was feeling really bad about myself and I decided to go get a mani/pedi. The "not so good with her English" lady doing my nails asked me when I was due!!!! I could have died. Just made my day worst! Just let it make you work that much harder and show them how good you can look. Keep up the good work! I wish I was down 12 lbs! I have only lost 4 so far......have a great weekend!
  • ranibauer
    Options
    Thanks everyone! You stopped my crying...
  • ahipke
    ahipke Posts: 6
    Options
    :mad: Oh that makes me so mad. I've been asked that once and it's the most embarrassing moment of my life. I even admit i look 9 mths pg. But I don't know where people get that idea you can ask that esp a man. Only they would ask that. I'm really sorry that happened to you and it's a man thing so I wouldn't get to embarrassed. I hope you made him feel bad.
  • Olympia
    Olympia Posts: 10
    Options
    I used to get asked if I was pregnant at least twice a year... friend, family, stranger.... The problem is that I'm thin in most places except my belly, just like my mom. When I was young, I used to think she was pregnant all the time. It never felt good when someone asked me that. But, when I told them that I wasn't pregnant, they were so embarassed, that ultimately they felt worse than I did. I also worked as a waitress throughout college and graduate school, so I know what you're talking about. That feeling when you give so much, and there are those who are just jerks, and then you feel so used at the end of the night. But, you need to do your best to remember that people are people. There are a lot of not so nice, and not so bright people out there. Don't let their garbage ruin your mood. I know it's hard. But you can take the high road, and feel good about yourself: what you are trying to achieve at this site, as well as taking the high road. You're not the clueless dumb a** who asked such an insensitive thing of a stranger, or the selfish one who cannot appreciate it when someone serves them. In the end, the karma of your high road will bring you wonderful things. As for the bad karma of those people...
  • ranibauer
    Options
    Actually he ending up giving me a 20 dollar tip on a 6 dollar drink, probably because he felt bad. You should have seen his face when I looked him in the eye and told him that I wasn't pregnant. I think he learned his lesson lol... At least I am finding humor in it now!
  • Olympia
    Olympia Posts: 10
    Options
    Definately, he learned his lesson and maybe earned a bit of that karma back. And he'll be a better person for the lesson.

60697.png
  • fit_amy
    fit_amy Posts: 41
    Options
    oh man!! I guess we can assume he learned his lesson to never ask when a woman is due unless it's his wife!! I'm really glad he tipped you well--that means he was just thoughtless person and not an ***hole! I also serve and sometimes I wonder what is wrong with people when I know I gave them excellent service and they give me like 12% when I know I gave them 20% service.

I ALSO had someone ask me that, and it was ALSO while having a pedicure last summer! It was a man... There he was down at my feet scouring away, which of course makes the entire body jiggle--particularly my belly. I'm sure from that angle I did look pregnant! I was mortified! It happened at the beginning of the treatment too, so the the entire experience was ruined. I was so mad on so many levels. I wanted to just dry off my feet and leave, but I just sat there stunned. The amazing thing was he didn't think it was awkward (or so it seemed). His questions continued: do you have any kids? did you just have a baby? etc. Basically he was trying to get to the root of why I had a jiggly belly. Meanwhile the teeny tiny asian woman who ran the shop were working away and I became more and more aware of my size. I felt like king kong. I was SO MAD I wrote a letter to the owner of the shop explaining that is not polite and told them I would never return. People are idiots sometimes. I'm amazed at how many other woman have had this happen to them too!
  • Katy009
    Katy009 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    That is HORRIBLE. I can relate because I carry all my weight in my belly, too. Last summer I was asked that at least once or twice per week over a period of several months. Not only did they ask...they proceeded to TOUCH my belly at the same time. I went home several times crying to my husband about it, so I know how you feel. You have to just chalk it up to ignorant / rude / stupid people!
  • ehorner1976
    ehorner1976 Posts: 147
    Options
    I too have gad this expierence, I was at work and a guy actually asked if I was having twins or triplet. I tsaid I am ot pregnant. I was almost in tears while he was standing in front of me. He said oh that is weird I just asked a lady if she was pregnant the other day and she said she should slap me, I guess I should stop asking that question. I said yes you should!! He still comes into the bank I work at, I just close mt window and I don't wait on him at all. I think he likes to be mean to tellers anyway he can!!!!
  • SunnyInBuffalo
    Options
    Not to be too much of a feminist...but I hate that men can ask us that and it is an insult. Our shape is part of our feminism. The shapes that models hold..their weights are often too low for them to even menstruate ..is that feminine? To be attractive, we must lose the ability to have female biological functions and our ability to reproduce becomes an insult.

I know we all want to be in shape and healthy. I do too. And when they ask if we are pregnant...it feels like they are saying we are not where we need to be. But I wish that we could celebrate our ability to hold and develop children in our bellies and not be sad if we have that shape.

There doesn't seem to be an equivalent way to insult a man...."you look like you might inseminate someone soon...????" I bet they'd like that.

Wishing for more respect of the female body.
  • fatsis
    fatsis Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options

Reading your post is the very reason I would not ask a woman even if she was in the stirrups breathing funny. Chin up.
  • thalli1
    thalli1 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    People can be stupid. Be glad you are here with people who understand, and that you are doing what you can to be healthy. I looked at your profile and I think you look beautiful. Don't let somebody's thoughtlessness ruin your day or your motivation. Keep working hard.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Lavendersunday
    Lavendersunday Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Too bad he didn't ask you if you were expecting. Then you could have said, "Yes...I am... a really nice tip and an apology. If he doesn't tip you well than you can say..."Actually Austin, I admired your teeth."

~Namaste
  • gabi_ele
    gabi_ele Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    It seems to me a lot of us had that experience... the other day someone made a stupid remark to me and I told my husband... he said well honey you can loose the weight but he will be stupid all his life. My daughter in law is a plus size and she always complains in front of her children how fat she is.:sick: .. and they have picked that up and every once in a while I will get a comment about me being fat ( I think theyre just trying to get a reaction out of me) but I tell them that yes I know I am overweight but I give great hugs and make the bestest food around :happy:
    I wonder sometimes why men find these skinny women attractive ( ok I'm talking about super models and starlets) .. I think it woudl hurt making love to a skeleton?:blushing: but then I don't know...most men find Marylin Monroe attractive, even now... and she is plus size...
    ok I better get some dusting done or the dustbunnies will overtake my house...
    I hope everyone has a great day remember TGIF