Hey everyone

koonshi9
koonshi9 Posts: 30
edited September 18 in Introduce Yourself
Yea so im 18 years old and many of my friends say im insane for doing this but i use this website to track everything i eat. I run almost everyday, medically im extremely healthy, but i felt as an 18 year old that i was unhealthy. I had to much of a body fat content, my body for some odd reason has the metabolism of a 55 year old compared to everyone else. I would consume about 2200 calories a day and still gain weight. Now however i keep track of everything such as fat and protein intake and i love it. My body is almost only 8% body fat and i look great thanks to this website!

Replies

• koonshi9
    Yea so im 18 years old and many of my friends say im insane for doing this but i use this website to track everything i eat. I run almost everyday, medically im extremely healthy, but i felt as an 18 year old that i was unhealthy. I had to much of a body fat content, my body for some odd reason has the metabolism of a 55 year old compared to everyone else. I would consume about 2200 calories a day and still gain weight. Now however i keep track of everything such as fat and protein intake and i love it. My body is almost only 8% body fat and i look great thanks to this website!
  • magdalune
    magdalune Posts: 80 Member
    8% is way too low. For the sake of your body, gain some fat weight.

Fat =/= bad

Too much fat = bad

What you have is too little, and that's also bad. Someone else give me a hand - healthy fat percentage is 17-24%? The thing to go for is not as little fat as possible, but a healthy amount of fat. Your body needs it!

I suggest talking with your doctor about this, going to a nutritionist, or perhaps conversing with a counselor about your perception of your body and fat. From your post, it sounds like you have a distorted body image, especially since you were "medically healthy" and a frequent exerciser before starting to log your calories.
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    I don't know if it's different for men than for women. I remember Brady Anderson, outfielder for the Baltimore Orioles, having a body fat of something like 4%. That man was in shape. He was 6'1" and 185 lb at his peak. But he probably also had a nutritionist and someone helping him to do it healthy in order for him to have all that energy.

So, although I don't know if 7% is healthy or not, I do agree that it should be medically cleared by a doctor or nutritionist to make sure that in the long run you're going to continue to have your health as the years progress. It's amazing what damage we can do to our bodies at 18 (thinking we're invincible) that may not show up until our 30s (i.e., me having to have my gallbladder removed last year because of my not so healthy eating habits as a teenager).

Anyway, no lectures. Just concerns. But keeping track of what you eat and how you eat is always a good thing, along with balanced exercise, so keep up the good work!!!
  • koonshi9
    well what i learned from a health class is that a healthy amount for men is 10-12% for women its 17-21% but then again everyone says different things
  • rheston
    rheston Posts: 638
    Initially I believed your body fat ratio might be a bit more than on the low side as well. Go to this website and read up a bit on fitness and body fat ratios: http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/bodyfatpercentage.html

You will see that many athletes have their body fat ratios running between 5% and 16% depending on their sport and physical make up.

This site helped me look at things differently but it also pointed out that there are way to many calculators out there giving confusing pieces of information so it does take some self-education and some work with your family physician to come up with something that is really best for you.

Don't take what we're saying as a negative approach to your feeling of success in your personal program but please look at what we're saying as constructive advice on other things to look at in your eating and exercise program so that you don't cause yourself harm.

The body fat ratio may be perfectly safe for you but only your doctor will be able to tell you that for sure.

Bob
This discussion has been closed.