Steel Cut Oats

Options
This is the first time I have made them. I used 1/4 cup oats and a little under 1.5 cups water. Are they supposed to be chewy?? Or did I not cook them long enough (I cooked about 10 minutes). They are very flavorful! Thanks in advance!
~Kim

Replies

• lillmssy
    Options
    I love steel cut oats. 1/2 cup oats, 1 cup water, 1/4 cup dried cranberries, 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, 1 splenda, 2 min in microwave.....dependidng on your nuke box....lol YUM
  • Sharont213
    Sharont213 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    wow.. what a coincidence. I just made them for breakfast today too ! First time ... I used the instant variety. I added 2/3 cup hot water to the packet and then microwaved for about 40 sec. Mine were not chewy but there were tasty. Added 1/2 cup each of blueberries and strawberries. I may make up a bunch in the slow cooker overnight and then bring in precooked portions daily - then all I need to do is a quick reheat.
  • CarterGrt
    CarterGrt Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Mine are the non-instant kind. The box says to bring the water to a boil and then back down to simmer for 10 minutes. For a creamier finish, simmer for 20 minutes covered.

This is what I do and they turn out pretty mushy which is how I like them.

--Carter
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    I use 3/4 cup water.Boil then add 3/4 for 6 min.You can add anything else you want.It`s a great start in the am and when it`s cold out,sure warms you up.
    jane
  • StormyNoriega
    Options
    Oh gosh...I am not sure I know what "steel cut" oats are? Someone fill me in please? =) I eat the Old Fashion Whole Oats, and microwave them for about 45 secs. Add splenda and "I can't beleive it's not butter" spray. Or even fruit at times.
  • daybyday
    daybyday Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    So most of you cook on the stove? I did mine in the micro.
  • Lazyboy09
    Lazyboy09 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Oh gosh...I am not sure I know what "steel cut" oats are? Someone fill me in please? =) I eat the Old Fashion Whole Oats, and microwave them for about 45 secs. Add splenda and "I can't beleive it's not butter" spray. Or even fruit at times.

I didn't know either, luckily we have Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steel-cut_oats :)
  • tvalk79
    tvalk79 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I eat the mccann steel cut oats. It takes 30 minutes on the stove to cook them. I cook the recommended 1 cup of oats in 4 cups water. I usually make them on Sunday since this enough for me to eat for four days. Then I reheat in the microwave.