Props to the spinners out there!

heathersmilez
heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
Just wanted to send a big high-five to the MFP spinners out there, that sh** is crazy!

I just attended my first class last night and it was NUTS!

I have put my 4-year love affair with Turbo Jam aside and joined a gym (finding a $99 1-day deal for a year with free classes how could I not?) to distract myself from munching on snacks after work and this was my first class. I made it through although the tension during the seated parts probably could have been tighter but 1 hour and 526 cals burned and soaked with sweat felt pretty good at the end.

Luckily this class is only offered 2x a week Monday and Saturday b/c now my pelvic bone is soooo sore, ah well ;)

Replies

• nilisabel
    nilisabel Posts: 338
    Heck yeah spinning is hard!
    (suggestions re: spinning: 1) bring your own seat ($30), 2) chamois (shammy) butter. 3) Just wait it out, eventually you get used to it.)
  • Thought that my first time too. Like anything, it gets better with practice. If you stick with it you might want to buy some cycle shorts with the padded crotch. Then if you REALLY stick with it you can get some cycle shoes so you can clip in the pedals - gives you more power on the climbs, they are stiffer for more power overall, and keep you feet positioned a little differently than just straps. I usually do it 3x/week and love it. Last winter I also did 12 weeks of 2-hour Extreme Spin classes - what a rush! Missing it now, but cant due to a little hip issue i'm working on. Anyways, glad you survived and enjoyed it!
  • I've always enjoyed spin classes, but I've been a competitive cyclist for 15 years, so I tend to like this kind of thing. In January, it does a lot of good to jump start my race training, but by April, it's usually not intense enough for me anymore. Not saying I can't get a workout in, but with only 8 hours or so, per week, to train, when I do train it has to count.

For the average, non-cyclist, I think spin classes are one of the best ways to get in serious cardio without the boredom of a treadmill or the pounding of running on the street.

Did they have clip-in pedals or the kind you need special shoes for? Once you move to the cleat-style shoes and pedals, it gets much more enjoyable.
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Yeah-it is a good idea to get bike shorts or a padded seat cover, but you get use to it. I am addicted to the class and go 3x/week. I added a 4th and decided 3 days should be good. I get in 6 days a week, but group cycle, however great my love, needs to be in moderation. Especially with that kick butt instructor on Fridays.
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    I have been spinning for years and it is a great workout. I finally bought the shoes with the clips on the bottom, and it makes a huge difference. I remember the first spinning class I ever took was down in Mexico, and about 20 min. into it, I was ready to give up. But I didn't want to be the weak American that couldn't make it through class, ha ha ha. The next class, I showed up with a beach towel instead of a hand towel. That is how much I was sweating. It was crazy. That was 8 years ago.
  • heathersmilez
    Did they have clip-in pedals or the kind you need special shoes for? Once you move to the cleat-style shoes and pedals, it gets much more enjoyable.

The pedals we're basically netted, almost like a dog muzzle at the toe so there was no slipping which was nice. The guy beside me went for 30 minutes then he and his wife left (it was obviously pre-planned so I’m not sure if it was an endurance thing or just a warm-up for weight lifting for them, they were in their 50’s though) and if his anatomy could take the seat perhaps I'm being a bit wussy but we'll see how it goes.

Thanks for the tips guys (and yea, bigger towel is highly recommended!!) way to go, you spinners are awesome ;)
  • nomoremuffintopness
    nomoremuffintopness Posts: 275 Member
    Spinning is by far my favorite work out. I did it 3-4x per week for 45 minutes to an hour before I had my baby. It is seriously what helped me lose weight and keep it off. I miss it so much. I had to cancel my membership because of financial reasons and also I have no time to go to the gym with a new baby. Man, I <3 spinning!
  • heathersmilez
    Spinning is by far my favorite work out. I did it 3-4x per week for 45 minutes to an hour before I had my baby. It is seriously what helped me lose weight and keep it off. I miss it so much. I had to cancel my membership because of financial reasons and also I have no time to go to the gym with a new baby. Man, I <3 spinning!

Not sure where you are from since it wasn't in your profile but keep an eye out on;

dealfind.com
    wagjag.com
    teambuy.ca

I subscribe to all of these (daily emails) and some others I can't think of off the top of my head and buy discounted spa, restaurant and even my gym membership here. They are usually 1-day deals so you have to act fact but you save 50-90% off. I have bought about 8 certificates now and used about 6, never had a problem. You also make referral money if you buy a deal and then send the link to family/friends and they buy one too. I signed my husband up to dealfind (my fav) for that reason so when I want 2 of something, I use his account to buy the second.

My gym membership for example was $99, normally $450 and right now until Jan 3rd my gym had a $299 sale so I still saved $200.

** PS: NOT affiliated with any of those sites, I'm just lover of sales. My license plate is DEALHNTR so you know I'm serious, lol!! ;)
  • tawny7
    tawny7 Posts: 276 Member
    I started spinning twice a week a few months ago and I love it!!! Never thought about getting a seat cushion though that's a great idea!! The days I spin I can notice a difference in my attitude! lol!!
  • Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member
    I'm completely addicted to it (And I'm no skinny minny). I tried the cushion seat, but it got in the way, and after a few times, you get used to it.

I completely agree with previous poster- the shoes with the cleats are the way to go if you get into it- SOO much better and less fatigue on your feet!

Welcome to the insanity! :)
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    the gym i joined recently offers a spin class, and i really want to do it but i am scared i wont be able to make it through the whole hour class ha ha. but after all the awesome comments ya'll made about it, makes me want to try it even more.
  • nomoremuffintopness
    oops
  • nomoremuffintopness
    the gym i joined recently offers a spin class, and i really want to do it but i am scared i wont be able to make it through the whole hour class ha ha. but after all the awesome comments ya'll made about it, makes me want to try it even more.

I was scared to, but then fell in love. Most instructors dont mind you leaving early if you are trying it out or really anytime you need to. Try to go in early and let them know its your first time; that way they can help you set up your bike, this is very important so you dont hurt your knees or injure yourself because of the bike position. I used to go a lot during the week and sometimes had to head out early, they dont mind as long as you are disruptive and re-adjust your bikes to the standard setting for the next person or class.

I second that on the shoes, those are amazing. I love mine. Man, I really wanna go now.
This discussion has been closed.