New Year, New ME!

Options
Hello everyone! I am new to myfitnesspal.com and would love any support, suggestions, recommendations, etc.

Here's a little about me. I have been on-again / off-again with my fitness lifestyle and am determined to make it a lifestyle change in 2011. I am 5'6" current weight is 158.8 lbs. Last July I was 138 lbs - goal weight is 130 lbs. Not sure what my body fat % is but would like to see it around 18%.

I am 43 years young (44 later this month), married to a wonderful hubby, have a 14-year-old son, 21-year-old daughter, and an almost 3-year-old grandson. I work full time out of the home; typically leave about 7:30am and don't get back into town until about 6:30pm. Ideally that would mean early morning cardio and strength training in the evenings -- however, I haven't yet gotten myself up at 5am for the early morning cardio. So currently (ok I just started yesterday), I'm shooting for an hour of cardio every evening, til I can get myself up and do it in the morning, then start the strength training in the evenings.

I have been talking about a couple of years about competing in a fitness competition, but I have a ways to go - especially my lower body. I'm not really knowledgeable about supplements and would love and appreciate your input - what works for you, what doesn't, etc. I currently take the GNC Women's Active Pack, which includes 2 vitamins, 2 calcium, 2 energy, and 1 CLE. Once I begin strength training I normally have 2-3 protein drinks a day. One right after my morning cardio, one before my evening workout, and one after my evening workout/before bed. I was thinking about including glutamine in my last protein drink of the day. Thoughts? I had one person recommend dextrose to me; tried it but didn't notice anything after about 2 weeks. Thoughts? Flax seed - benefit? Thoughts?

I'm willing to listen to all options. I have not posted any current pics yet because I have not taken even. Need to also get my measurements taken as all I have now to go by is the scale (evil thing) LOL.

Thanks for reading! Now I gotta see if I can get the message board on my iphone app next .....

Replies

• cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    welcome and I love this site too. I don't really have that much time on weekends since that is when I work. On weekends it might be a good idea to get a pedometer. I love mine. The goal is to walk 10000 steps for the day, it's a challenge and you can do it any time of the day, especially if you are at work at cant do cardio. If you are looking for a friend and encouragement here I am. I am almost in the same boat, as I am 5"5' and I weigh 163 and I want to get to 150. Friend me anytime.
  • luv2workout
    Options
    Hi chesirequeen! I used to own a couple of pedometers ... maybe I'll do some searching and see if I can find them. I've sent you a friend request....

Where I work - I'm on the 25th floor - we have floors through 23-28. I keep telling myself that if I just take a quick break a couple times throughout the day and go from the 25th floor to the 28th floor north side of the building ... then I can walk through the elevator bank and go from 28th to 25th on the south side of the building back to my desk. Wouldn't take but a couple minutes ... Humm, maybe that will be one of my goals for today - so that at least twice before I get off work.
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    my mom used to walk outside(unfortuneatly st. louis, mo weather is helping) but up and down the floors seems like a great idea. I got a pedometer that works awesome if you have an ebay account. It was 8 dollars or around there including s/h. It even has mileage, calories and time. Much cheaper and works better than others i've had.
  • luv2workout
    Options
    Bumping up so I can hopefully find some friends to help motivate me ... and vice versa of course ....