Toughing it out when weight training bumps the scale UP

Options
Many of us know weight training is key to beating the flab and tightening up, BUT adding muscle can sure keep the scale flat or even move it up initially. The more muscle the more calories we burn in the long run. It is a good thing, right? How do you not get discouraged when starting a weight training program that seems to put the brakes on the scales?

Replies

• HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    It can get discouraging but focusing more on inches lost helps alot. You can stay the same weight but still find your clothes fitting much more nicely and thats a good feeling! :)
    Plus, for me seeing an improvement in my strength and general fitness makes it all so worth it.
  • Bigpelly8
    Bigpelly8 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I dealt with is, but only in the beggining of my weight training. When I had the initial "soreness", i was told my body was retaining all the water I was taking while my muscles were rebuilding, but when the soreness went away, the weight started to melt off. Even now, when I do soemthing different and get sore again, the same thing happens.
  • Gogo76
    Gogo76 Posts: 581
    Options
    I have developed an allergic reation to my scale! :laugh: No seriously though, I just don't weigh myself every week like I used to. It is now once a month or more, and I check in with the Personal Trainer at my gym to check my body fat %. I find that even small movements down in bf% are very motivating to me!
  • CMcBryer
    CMcBryer Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Measure your waist, hips, thighs, biceps, and neck. Measure them every two weeks or so and watch for it to trend downwards. Have someone who knows what they are doing use calipers to measure your fat percentage every so often.

Listen to your clothes as well. An easy way to notice that you are losing the fat and the inches is by the fit of your clothes. The scale should never be the only thing you use to trend your weight loss! Also, when using the scale only measure your weight ONCE a week. If you are checking every day you are setting yourself up for failure.

Good luck and well done on starting on weight training!! Keep at it and you'll get where you want to be!
  • apeman
    apeman Posts: 82
    Options
    It's absolutely a good thing. I know it can be frustrating to slow progress when measured by the scale but it's really a big jump forward. Putting all the metabolism and calorie burn positives aside, think of it as an investment in your future performance. Getting stronger will give you the building blocks to better exercise performance, injury resistance, and long term happiness with your body down the road. I try to keep measurements of key areas like neck, arms, chest, stomach, hips, and thighs to have another way to measure my progress. This helps me understand how my strength training and cardio are impacting my body fat loss when I can't see that with the scale alone. Keep it up and be positive. It's really a great way to build up for the future.
  • madijo41
    madijo41 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I am going to keep an eye on this post to see some answers. I have lost maybe two pounds in two months since I started to work out. I exercise sometimes 2.5 to 3 hrs a day, everyday. Eat 1200- 1500 cals a day. Nothing.
  • Gogo76
    Gogo76 Posts: 581
    Options
    I am going to keep an eye on this post to see some answers. I have lost maybe two pounds in two months since I started to work out. I exercise sometimes 2.5 to 3 hrs a day, everyday. Eat 1200- 1500 cals a day. Nothing.

Sounds like you are not eating enough. Do you eat back some of your exercise calories?