Lateral knee pain

Options
Hey everybody,
I am relatively new to running but recently I have been getting some lateral knee pain and a pressure behind my patella when I walk. I was wondering if anyone could recommend some stretches or strengthening exercises to keep it from getting worse.

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Google hip & glute strengtheing exercises, they're the most common source of knee pain while running (there are numerous great vidoes on runnerswrold.com and youtube.

The pressure behind your patella is a little concerning though, you may have the early stages of a Baker's cyst (they occur when you're producing too much synovial fluid in the joint and that is something to get checked out (the cycst it self doesn't really cause any long term harm, they just hurt like crazy when they rupture - you want to address the reason that you're prodicung more synovial fluid than normal which may be addressed y improving hip and glute strength or it could be a sign of cartilage damage)
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    Definitely strengthen your quads and glutes. I just finished 4 weeks of physical therapy for weak quads and it has made a different in the movement of my kneecap. I had the same symptoms (pain/pressure) and saw an orthopedic surgeon who recommended the PT because my patella was tracking to the side and the PT fixed that. Good luck!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I have been getting some lateral knee pain and a pressure behind my patella when I walk. I was wondering if anyone could recommend some stretches or strengthening exercises to keep it from getting worse.

Not without knowing what the cause is. I recommend getting a full assessment by a physical therapist or sports doctor.

My only other suggestion is to walk in shoes with a zero "heel to toe drop". Most shoes have a raised heel, which can worsen orthopedic issues.