Does anyone use any work out DVD`s

Options
I am thinking to buy work out dvds to use in winter time since I am unable to go to gym often. So does anyone use work out dvs and are they effective? Can you still get a good work out?

Replies

• jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    All I use are workout dvds. I stick mostly to beachbody ones, Insanity, P90X3, T25, but I also incorporate Youtube videos. The channels I like: Autumn Calabrese, Tone It Up, BeFit, Real Fit TV, Tony Horton, GymRa, and ZuzkaLight.
  • Katpet3
    Katpet3 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I enjoy the T25 DVDs.. They're fun. I can't always do all the moves correctly, but I'm getting better.
  • llbennett74
    llbennett74 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Anything by Bob Harper or Biggest Loser. They will kick your butt!
  • Julzanne72
    Julzanne72 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I only workout at home. I have done a couple of Beachbody programs that I love. Currently doing turbofire, have done Chalean Extreme, there are so many to choose from!! I really love working out at home, I used to be at total gym rat, but do love the ease and convenience of working at home!
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I can't speak to DVDs specifically but I've been having fun trying out different workouts on Hulu plus. It's nice to have so much variety. So far I've done a barre, bollywood dance, power yoga and cardio sculpt. It's also nice that I can find a workout to fit the time frame I have that day whether it's 20 minutes or an hour.
  • Pgonzalez312
    Options
    Yes Definatley. You can either look at the Beachcody site, or go to your local Walmart. I have a few different ones so that I don't get bored with them. I definatly like the LES Mills, Jillian Michaels, & Chalene from Beach Body.
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    They work if you are consistent. If you only do them once in a while and you don't put forth the effort while doing them, then you only cheat yourself. Any video that is fun for you and encourages you to come back and do it again is effective!
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I have a whole bunch. some beach body stuff, some jillian michaels, some biggest loser, and some dance off the inches. I like them. I switch them out, so I don't get bored with them. I do some of the jillian michaels ones year-round. I'm currently window shopping for something new to take the place of my running days, once it's too cold/snowy for running.

but, no matter what you're doing, your workouts are only going to be as intense as you make them.

have fun! :flowerforyou:
  • fitfabforties
    fitfabforties Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I work out at home....I have a set of Bowflex Select Tech dumbells......I have p90x, Brazil Butt Lift, Chalean Extreme and Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30....I live in an apartment and I don't have any room for any more equipment than the dumbells so that has to do... They definitely work if you put the effort in and give it everything you got for the entire workout.....I can't afford an ongoing gym membership.....I have a mountain bike too...for the two weeks out of the year in Alberta that I can get outside to ride!!!!lol
  • itsjustmish
    itsjustmish Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I only workout at home, mostly doing Jillian Michaels DVD's (I'm currently doing Body Revolution). I've been really pleased with the results I've had, and am actually in much better shape now than when I used to go to the gym!
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can definitely get a great workout from a DVD. It really depends on what kind of workouts you like; I recommend choosing a program which fits your interests (as there are many good ones).

Some examples of what I enjoy:
    I like Jillian Michaels workouts - I have been mixing in her yoga workout every week. Aside from that, I think some of the Beach Body ones are good - T25 is my top one out of those. My absolute favorite right now, though, is Tapout XT. I am interested in MMA (mixed martial arts), so that's why it appeals to me... it's a lot of punching, kicking, core work, etc, some of which is using resistance bands. I feel like I've really been building up my strength. The workouts are tough, but there's a lot of variety and the time seems to go by fast (most of the time.. there are some particular workouts I like better than others!)

I have found in practice that sometimes the actual workout calendar is too much for me. For example, I am running 3 or so days a week and doing Tapout 3 or so days a week right now. I think you should feel free to adjust any of the at-home DVD programs to better fit your needs.
  • Tanie98
    Tanie98 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your answers :happy:
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I always use DVDs to workout. I've used Jillian Michaels, Jennifer Ellison, Kirsty Gallacher, Natalie Cassidy, Insanity. They've helped me immensely.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Yes Definatley. You can either look at the Beachcody site, or go to your local Walmart. I have a few different ones so that I don't get bored with them. I definatly like the LES Mills, Jillian Michaels, & Chalene from Beach Body.

No! ......not WalMart, Target, Best Buy, etc........VERY small selection.

collagevideo.com

totalfitnessdvds.com

These site sell HUNDREDS of exercise videos. You don't have to buy from them (Amazon is usually cheaper)...but there is ton of information....fitness level, choreography level, equipment required, impact level.....and best of all video clips for everything.

These sites allow you to research videos before you buy. You can do directed searches to narrow the field.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I am thinking to buy work out dvds to use in winter time since I am unable to go to gym often. So does anyone use work out dvs and are they effective? Can you still get a good work out?

Really effective videos are the ones you will actually do consistently. If you dread a workout....consistency won't last long.

For me, I have to click with the instructor. I used to get Netflix (by mail) and got a new workout DVD every week. This helped me figure out what I liked and equally important .....what I hated. Now I have several DVDs that I rotate between.

A well rounded program (for me) is strength training, cardio, and flexibility. That translates to Kelly Coffey Meyer (mostly) - Leslie Sansone (on a rebounder) and assorted short yoga videos, respectively.

If you have no idea what you like, I would suggest free on-line workouts (Hulu.com, BeFit, Totallyfreeworkouts.com), your local library, or Netfilx (by mail) ....something to narrow your choices while you figure things out.

You want to find something that you will do for a very long time. Not just while on a diet.....lifestyle change if at all possible.
  • Tanie98
    Tanie98 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Yes,i love working out but I prefer running outside and going to the gym .I want to try work out dvds for winter time when its too cold or when there is too much snow to go to the gym
  • bigsistruck
    bigsistruck Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    All I use is workout dvds as well, the only thing else you'll usually need with them are hand weights (I have 3,5,8, and 10 pound). Right now I am loving The Firm Express, 12 20 minute HIIT style workouts that you do Monday, Wednesday, Friday. I also do step dvds on Tuesday and Thursday. The Firm workouts are GREAT, they are tough but don't take up a lot of your time. You can get them on Amazon for $27 and that's for twelve of them so I thought it was a good deal! It comes with a meal/workout plan as well plus a bonus 10 minute cardio dvd. Hope you find something you enjoy!
  • jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I've done many of the Beachbody programs, but seem to keep coming back to P90X..........I just started it back up this past Sunday after spending the past few months bouncing between P90X, P90X2, P90X3, Insanity, Focus T25, Les Mills Combat, Les Mills Pump, PiYO, and ChaLEAN Extreme.
  • jannthompson
    jannthompson Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I run 4 days a week, but that's going to be coming to a stop soon. I won't be able to hit the treadmill that often during the winter, so I am searching for DVDs to use at home.

I currently use Brazil Butt Lift on my off days from running ... I like it ok, but I am already getting bored with it.
  • Jillian130
    Jillian130 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Yep, absolutely! Its ALL I ever use. I often use the FitnessBlender website, Blogilates, and the BeFit Channel on YouTube. I also own quite a few Jillian Michaels DVD's, Hip Hop Abs, and have done the Insanity Program.

Mind you, during the summer I take my workouts outdoors for running, cycling, or any other outdoor workout. But most times if its indoors these are my go-to's for cardio, strength and toning.