Weight loss on vegetarian diet?

Options
Hi,

Does any have any success stories from following a vegetarian diet on a 1200 - 1500 calorie plan? If so, what sort of a meal plan did you follow?

Replies

• numinousnymph
    numinousnymph Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Does any have any success stories from following a vegetarian diet on a 1200 - 1500 calorie plan? If so, what sort of a meal plan did you follow?

when i started losing weight i decided to become vegan, not only for ethical and health reasons but because i believed it would aid in my weight loss (and i 100% believe it has!). i ate and still eat mostly fruit and vegetables, about 2/3 of my daily intake i would say. i eat oatmeal for breakfast every day, with some cocoa powder too. and then some other foods like snack bars (i like pure organic brand), hummus, vegan protein powder for extra protein, tofu, and i always have peanut butter 'cause i love that stuff forever lol. i have veggie sandwiches, falafel, veggie burgers, burritos, quinoa, lentils, soups and salads for meals, to name a few. i have GREATLY reduced the amount of bread and pasta that i eat (besides when i have a sandwich), which helps tremendously in cutting calories and i'm sure is better for me in general to not have so much of that stuff, which i still love but always overdid it on. i love chocolate (who doesn't?) so i still eat some small portions of dark chocolate, and once a month or so have a yummy vegan dessert like vegan ice cream or cookie, cupcake, etc.

there are PLENTY of vegetarian options out there. i know there are hundreds of websites and books dedicated to vegetarian meals. stick to mostly whole fruits and vegetables and it will tremendously help in your weight loss, because they fill you up with having low calories (depending on what you eat -- avocado and some other fruits such as mangoes and large bananas have more calories that can quickly add up). also they're the best thing you can feed your body to keep it healthy. but when it gets down to it weight loss can happen to matter what you eat, as long as you're at a defecit.
  • summerlightning782
    Options
    Thanks very much for your feedback and congratulations on the loss! 46 lbs is quite an achievement. Trainers at my gym recommend a high protein diet for loss, but for those on a vegetarian diet, I tend to think that it is healthier to fill up on fruits and vegetables than on dairy and processed soya products.
  • summerlightning782
    Options
    Thanks! I will definitely take a look at your diary for ideas.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!