Slight pain in right knee and ankle... what should I do???

Hi Everyone!!! I recently started working out regularly - I'm trying to workout regularly. About 3 weeks ago I started working out 5 days every week (M-F) with cardio on MWF and strength training on TTh.

I've never really been a runner and so I started slow, I did the C25K earlier this year, and currently on my cardio days I am running for 30+ mins @ 5mph, and on the strength training days I do a short warm-up run of 10-15 mins @ 5 mph. This ends up being about 10-11 miles / week.

Today I noticed a slight pain in my right knee and ankle while running for the first time, and I am not sure what I should do. Do I stop running and do some different cardio activity??? I have really started enjoying running and I would hate to do this..... Or should I reduce the speed or the number of days? Could it be the shoes??

It's been a couple of hours since my workout and the pain in almost gone when I walk around the office....Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,940 Member
    Sounds like the aches and pains from starting a new exercise regimen. Just be aware of any stabbing, acute pain that continues.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • stevesilk
    stevesilk Posts: 204 Member
    If it's slight, it could be from anything. Certainly starting a new program will affect things. Shoes are also a critical item. Good shoes can have a huge impact on your knees and ankles. I certainly have experienced that. However, you might also be seeing some fallout from the TTH lifting, especially if you are doing some leg work on the days before running. You'll need to do some detective work (maybe with an physical trainer) to help you ID the issue if it persists. But I agree that it might go away as you adjust to the new pattern. Best of luck.
  • noor_v
    noor_v Posts: 133 Member
    Thanks!!! This is helpful to know... I was worried that maybe I injured myself....

Right now on TTh, strength training is focused on upper body - but yesterday I did end up running for 20 mins during warm-up - not sure if it had anything to do with the pain..
  • It is hard to tell without more information about the type and exact location of the pain. It could have just been a one-off incident where you stepped down hard and landed wrong. Like sometimes near the end of a run when you are tired you run off a curb and you can jar your knee and ankle. Most of the time we don´t even notice it at the time, but there can be some inflammation afterwards.

You can take a few days off, or take a motrin and more than likely the pain will go away quickly. But the most important thing is to pay attention in the future about your running techniques. Whenever you are stepping down off of something, try to land with a slightly bent knee so that the shock is absorbed by your muscles.
  • ME0172
    ME0172 Posts: 200
    It does sound like it could be your body adjusting but:

1) Make sure you have good running shoes.

2) Take an antiinflamatory medication and ice the area for 15 mins probably 2 times a day. After the ice treatment wait about an hour then use a heating pad for 15 minutes and then stretch. Even if it's in the joints, your muscles and tendons may be pulling on the joint area and stretching will help.

3) If the pain becomes sharp, or inhibits your ability to do routine things, go to the doctor.

Good luck!!!!
  • noor_v
    noor_v Posts: 133 Member
    Thank you!!!