Washington Redskins

Options

Replies

• headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Another way for the government to control us and dictate what we can watch or listen. As a Redskins fan, I believe this country has way more important issues to be worrying about then the name of a NFL team. Meanings change over time just like how the "N" word is used nowadays. You can watch shows that say that word but god forbide the Redskins name makes me lose sleep, income, etc. The only people that have a right to complain about this matter is the Native Americans, if they dont see a problem with it which polls have shown they dont then leave it alone. Stop throwing bull**** down peoples throats, 15 years ago this was never a issue until liberal media wants to find ways to make their own mark. Worry about fixing this country, pulling us out of debt, ending the wars, fixing education

just my 2 cents
    the owner can do whatever they want I am a big football fan-and I think there is more issues in the world then the mame of a team-I think it just to get ppl upset -I mean come on that has been name of tem for year-pretty son they will change the white sox mame its just to get something started there is a war hunger in the world and issues other then a name of a team
    '

Yes, like grammar, punctuation and spelling.

And so the insults begin. :wink:
  • Odwaroftorn
    Odwaroftorn Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    CNN has announced the Washington Redskins is holding a press conference today to change their offensive name. They'll now be known as the "Virginia Redskins." It appears that yes, the name Washington is offensive.
  • Hophead43
    Hophead43 Posts: 1,634 Member
    Options
    Awesome. I think a Native American / First Nations tribe should get a football team together and call themselves the "Crackers."

Since derogatory terms towards specific races aren't offensive and/or racist, right?

Washington and Jefferson were both slave owners. When do you want to go to Mount Rushmore and have their images removed?
    I agree! Our PC world is going to far.
  • Hophead43
    Options
    Meanwhile, at a Kansas City Chief game....

headdress.gif
    Exactly !!
  • Hophead43
    Options
    Another way for the government to control us and dictate what we can watch or listen. As a Redskins fan, I believe this country has way more important issues to be worrying about then the name of a NFL team. Meanings change over time just like how the "N" word is used nowadays. You can watch shows that say that word but god forbide the Redskins name makes me lose sleep, income, etc. The only people that have a right to complain about this matter is the Native Americans, if they dont see a problem with it which polls have shown they dont then leave it alone. Stop throwing bull**** down peoples throats, 15 years ago this was never a issue until liberal media wants to find ways to make their own mark. Worry about fixing this country, pulling us out of debt, ending the wars, fixing education

just my 2 cents
    the owner can do whatever they want I am a big football fan-and I think there is more issues in the world then the mame of a team-I think it just to get ppl upset -I mean come on that has been name of tem for year-pretty son they will change the white sox mame its just to get something started there is a war hunger in the world and issues other then a name of a team
    '

Yes, like grammar, punctuation and spelling.
    I can totally agree with the first reply.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I played on a football team in 1968. Team Name was the "Rebels". The team wasn't that good prior to 1968 and nobody gave the name any thought.

The Number One team up until then was the "Firefighters". They were sponsored by the local Fire Department and had won many championships.

In 1968 the "Rebels" beat the "Firefighters".

All of the sudden "Rebels" was un-American. Had to change the name.

Politics.
  • redwoodkestrel
    redwoodkestrel Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Awesome. I think a Native American / First Nations tribe should get a football team together and call themselves the "Crackers."

Since derogatory terms towards specific races aren't offensive and/or racist, right?

Washington and Jefferson were both slave owners. When do you want to go to Mount Rushmore and have their images removed?

Wow. Illogical jump in logic is illogical.

My statement and yours have nothing to do with each other.
  • Pennsylvania_Joe
    Pennsylvania_Joe Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Still haven't found somebody willing to call a Native American a Redskin to his/her face. You're not scared to wear the gear, though.
  • headofphat
    Options

Yes they do. You want to make sure that everyone on the planet can walk around and not be offended. Slavery is offensive. Washington and Jefferson owned slaves. They are emblazoned on the side of a mountain. Let's tear it down as not to offend anyone.
    perfectly logical.

I'm a Georgia Bulldog fan (that's a football team in Georgia). I'm offended by those ugly orange and blue shirts that have Florida Gators (that's a football team in Florida that I hate) on them. Can you take care of all of those when you're finished with Mount Rushmore?
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    We should just abolish Pro Sports altogether. It promotes racism and domestic abuse.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Regardless of how I view it, the owner of a franchise has the absolute right to name it whatever he wants. And that goes double when said owner is the tenured owner in the League. The liberal media makes me want to puke!

What really gets me is the big elephant in the room that everyone is afraid to address. We need to stop pu$$y footing around the issue and bring it to the forefront.

Here goes and I guess that someone will report me to MFP.

Dan Snyder is Jewish, and one would have thought he have some empathy with the Native Americans regarding that name. Yes, we all know that he bought the team with the name, but if the shoe was on the other foot, and the team was named after something related to the "holocaust", the uproar would have been far worse and the name would have been changed a long time ago.
  • redwoodkestrel
    redwoodkestrel Posts: 339 Member
    Options

Yes they do. You want to make sure that everyone on the planet can walk around and not be offended. Slavery is offensive. Washington and Jefferson owned slaves. They are emblazoned on the side of a mountain. Let's tear it down as not to offend anyone.
    perfectly logical.

I'm a Georgia Bulldog fan (that's a football team in Georgia). I'm offended by those ugly orange and blue shirts that have Florida Gators (that's a football team in Florida that I hate) on them. Can you take care of all of those when you're finished with Mount Rushmore?

Where did I say that I want no one to ever feel offended about anything, ever? But feeling personally offended by certain things is quite different than derisive terms that are meant to ridicule an entire group of people. Seriously, would you support the "Washington Crackers?"

If anything, the fact that we *do not have slavery anymore* - that we realized it was a mistake, made it illegal, and then tried (our best? hmmm... not really, we still have work to do) to make amends supports the idea that maybe we can also realize that celebrating a term that *derides an entire race of people* (note this is quite different than you finding certain color schemes offensive) is also a mistake.
  • SuperVixen2B
    SuperVixen2B Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    The word Redskin is a terrible legacy for the members of many tribes. For others, not. Frankly, I would be happy not to see ANY Indian mascots.

Just sayin'...

I second this. It wouldn't be appropriate for almost any other race that's been subjugated or discriminated against. Can you imagine the "African American's" football team, with their faces on the side of a helmet and fans putting on black face and singing "Swing Low Sweet Chariot" during halftime? Goodness gracious. That it is seen as "ok" for native people to be used as a mascot...well...I just think it says a lot about people's perception of Natives.

And don't you ever tell me you're "honoring" me by wearing a headdress, carrying a tomahawk and doing your best "war cry" while you get drunk and scream profanities at a bunch of overpaid athletes. Screw you.

Also heard a story of a young girl in high school. Her football team was playing their rival, "The Indians". At their pep rally, they made an effigy of the mascot, feathers, war paint, braids...and burned him while dancing around the bonfire whooping and mimicking the dancing from those old westerns depicting the savage. Tell me how that's good for a young girl to see? Tell me how that's honoring a people.

Also, if your weekend recreational activity and the "history" of it is more important to you then the feelings of a race of people...again, screw you.

But I mean that in the loveliest way, with light and beauty, etc. etc.

Also, Nachise, beautiful regalia.

Food for thought.

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2013/10/08/how-many-native-americans-think-redskins-is-a-slur/

What I said and the article you linked to don't relate. Did you mean to quote someone else?
  • SuperVixen2B
    SuperVixen2B Posts: 218 Member
    Options

perfectly logical.

Where did I say that I want no one to ever feel offended about anything, ever? But feeling personally offended by certain things is quite different than derisive terms that are meant to ridicule an entire group of people. Seriously, would you support the "Washington Crackers?"

If anything, the fact that we *do not have slavery anymore* - that we realized it was a mistake, made it illegal, and then tried (our best? hmmm... not really, we still have work to do) to make amends supports the idea that maybe we can also realize that celebrating a term that *derides an entire race of people* (note this is quite different than you finding certain color schemes offensive) is also a mistake.

Well said.
  • Follow_me
    Follow_me Posts: 6,120 Member
    Options
    I think the whole controversy was made up by the media and it's BS.
  • headofphat
    Options

perfectly logical.

You're assuming that the term "redskin" has it's roots in hatred like the liberal media would have you believe. The research I've done doesn't support that at all. Either way, I've posted before that I couldn't care less what they are called because I don't get offended by such things. I'm just giving you differing opinions. I've read the articles you've read about the word redskin, now you should go read some of the articles that I've read that offer a different history. Try not to get caught up in the media sensationalizing something to boost their ratings.

{Example: You may or may not like Rush Limbaugh and even though we are of the same political party I find him to be a bit of an *kitten*. However, when interviewed he was asked why do you say some of the highly controversial things that you say. His answer was that his job is to get ratings and in turn higher ratings mean more money in his pocket. He, just like the media, is concerned with ratings and will do or say what ever they need to. }

We are all arm chair activists and as long as we don't have to break our daily routine to protest something (i.e. the internet) then we will protest it all day. The truth is that the NFL isn't going anywhere. Dan Snyder is a rich *kitten* dude and if he doesn't want to change the name then he won't. Do you remember when some lady wanted to protest the Masters because it was a male only golf club? Do you remember what happened? Well they didn't budge and in turn she said that she would protest all the sponsors. Do you remember what happened next? Those rich dudes ran a 4 day tournament on national television with zero commercials just as a big F you to that lady.

if you are truly offended by the term Redskins which I doubt you are especially since 90% of actual redskins aren't offended then i suggest you go do something about it. Good luck, you're fighting the 1%, they don't typically lose....and when they do they are still rich and could care less about whether or not you're offended.

Change the name don't change the name. If they want to change it to Washington Crackers and they still have receivers who can run a 4:3 40, and linebackers who de-cleat receivers coming across the middle and oh yeah cheerleaders then I am going to watch. Bottom line.
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Isn't calling the Head of the FCC Chief racist?

...cuz Czar is sooo much better for a title.

I just wonder why everybody picks on the Redskins but you hear NOTHING about similar pro sports franchises (Blackhawks, Chiefs, Indians, Braves, etc.) Isn't life hard enough on them seeing as how much they suck? Why kick'm while they're down? Wait until they get at least to a conference champ game and exploit their popularity. <waits for Hell to freeze over>
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    We should just abolish Pro Sports altogether. It promotes racism and domestic abuse.

I am not going to say all Pro sports, but don't be surprised if the NFL moves to flag or touch football in the next 10 years. We are becoming a society of pansy's!
  • j_bark
    j_bark Posts: 1,274 Member
    Options
    I think the real controversy is how bad they suck now.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I think the real controversy is how bad they suck now.

No, I'm glad...... #CowboystakingtheNFCEastin2014