who is doing low carb

Options

Replies

• lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I do "lower" carbs...I try to keep my carbs between 100 and 150g (momma likes her toast ;) My exercise consists mostly of heavy lifting, hiking and elliptical. I absolutely hate cardio, hence the reason I buy into the high fat/protein concept. And I'm a firm believer in "if it fits your macros". Feel free to add me, I love to cook, and do most of my cooking low carb. I also have eliminated all forms of dairy due to a massive intollerance.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    From Iowa State. . . .human sciences. . . .

"The roles of carbohydrate in the body includes providing energy for working muscles, providing fuel for the central nervous system, enabling fat metabolism, and preventing protein from being used as energy. Carbohydrate is the preferred source of energy or fuel for muscle contraction and biologic work."

http://www.extension.iastate.edu/humansciences/content/carbohydrate

It's sort of pointless to post a quote without giving any explanation about why you think your quote is relevant to anything in this thread, particularly a quote that isn't self-evident. Is your contention that you cannot exercise on a low carb diet? That's nonsense. That your CNS shuts down on a low carb diet? I'd love to see the studies on that. Do you even have a point? Who knows, because you said nothing beyond posting a quote about what carbs are for at a high level.

Here too is a random quote from Iowa State:
    The energy obtained from fat plays an important role for both high intensity and endurance sports. Fat serves as the primary fuel for low intensity and long duration activities such as marathons, triathlons, and cross country skiing. In high intensity activity, where carbohydrate is the primary fuel, fat is necessary to fully release the available energy in carbohydrate.

Wow. Don't we feel enlightened? Random blurbs from Iowa State surely trump all the literature when it comes to weight loss, activity and LBM retention on low carb diets.

Sarcasm aside, should a professional athlete use a low carb diet gong into a competition? No, other than perhaps for making weight. But is that at all relevant to the average Joe or Jane looking to cut weight, up their activity level and retain lean body mass? Nope. There are plenty of strength athletes that cut using low carb diets and, of all athletes, it's the strength athletes whose anaerobic performance stands to suffer the most. Yet many have successful cuts following such diets.

Low carb is simply a tool. If it's helpful, people should potentially should use it. If it's not, they shouldn't. But leaving unrelated quotes around with no explanation about what you think said quote demonstrates, presumably in an attempt to dissuade people from using such a tool? Give me a break.

I didn't have a contention and if people use low carb as a tool fine. Yes low carb is simply a tool, but for many, they aren't really sure what it means. Since no one has defined low carb in this thread maybe you could enlighten everyone as to what low carb actually is. Is it by percentage of overall MACROS or number of grams? Personally, I've seen a wide disparity between numbers in other threads and since it is a tool what are the parameters?

The term "Low-carb" is a blanket generalization for any eating plan that restricts carbohydrate intake. On the individual level, there are many different ways to skin a cat, and there are many different ways to go "low-carb." A lot of IIFYM people go for 40% carbs and in a sense, that is carb-restriction, but generally is not considered low-carb. Medical low-carb diets often are used for those with insulin resistance and/or diabetes. They usually restrict carbs to 150-100g per day, depending on the physician's preference. So this is where "low-carb" begins. Diet programs such as Atkins have you do an induction period of 20g for 2 weeks (eating specific categories of foods) to get you into ketosis, then using a ladder system, add back higher-carb (but still low on the GI index) foods. Maintenance generally allows for up to 60g, but each person must find their tolerance level some might be higher (It's a YMMV thing.) Then, there is nutritional ketosis, or keto. Generally speaking, many keto folks (and this is what I do) get 20g and under to get into deep ketosis. Some stay at this level, some go hardcore to less than 10g. Eventually though, people can increase up to 50g and still remain in ketosis once they are fat-adapted.

So as you can see, indeed many ways to skin a cat. And I haven't even gone into the slow-carb/GI index folks (South Beach is like this a bit), the Kruse protocol, the Whole 30, paleo/and primal (that get lumped in here b/c their eating plan naturally limits carbs), and others. Low-carb = carb restriction to some degree. It's like calling everyone from Asian descent "Asian." Well, they can be Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Laotian, Cambodian, and etc.

A great many low-carb diets encourage high fat and moderate protein. The body needs protein in moderation and the fat fuels ketosis and also satiates. Low-carb diets also generally, though not all, tend to shy from simple sugars, though those on the higher end of carb allowance eat fruit. Table sugar and high fructose corn syrup are counterproductive and a waste of your carbs. Prioritization is necessary (budgeting carbs). Many allow artificial sweeteners. Some do not.

The nature of carb restriction is such that it does naturally limit calories. However, it is possible to gain weight on a low-carb diet. Many people can actually eat in excess of their BMR and still lose. However, there are many, too, who cannot. I'm one of the latter. In the beginning, I was able to count carbs and not give a crap about calories, but after a point, I had to start watching. The deficit required in this case is as individual as the person himself. I have a 500cal/day deficit, but some days I go over and still lose at the same rate, so I could eat more, but I'm fine with things as they are.

If you want more specific, you have to research specific diets. It's the nature of the beast.

I hope I answered your questions. Anyone else should feel free to add anything I missed. :smile:
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    You need to take a potassium supplement before bed.

Proof ?

Question: If someone had said "You should eat a banana before bed," would you call for proof?

Yes, because that would be a ridiculous thing to say. Why a banana, and why "before bed"?

Also, a glass of milk has more potassium than a banana, without all the carbs.
  • Cardio4Cupcakes
    Cardio4Cupcakes Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I do low carb. Commiting to keto was too much work for me, so my macros are 65% fat, 25% protein and 10% carbs. It's about 40g of carbs a day, it's not too hard honestly.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Options
    From Iowa State. . . .human sciences. . . .

"The roles of carbohydrate in the body includes providing energy for working muscles, providing fuel for the central nervous system, enabling fat metabolism, and preventing protein from being used as energy. Carbohydrate is the preferred source of energy or fuel for muscle contraction and biologic work."

http://www.extension.iastate.edu/humansciences/content/carbohydrate

Right you are, carbs are the first choice for fuel if available. Carbs are quickly and easily broken down into simple sugars, making them readily available for energy.

A carb fueled athlete can run out of fuel and require additional glucose when their body fat could provide endless fuel. Even an elite athlete with 8 percent body fat has enough fat on their body to power them through an endurance event. The problem is, if you are a “sugar burner” you cannot access the stored body fat. Regardless of whether you are exercising or not. People who regularly consume carbohydrate rich foods have trained their bodies (and enzyme systems) to primarily run on glucose. Whereas people who have been on a low carbohydrate eating plan for some time switch over into fat burning and become “fat burners”. I'd rather be a fat burner than a sugar burner, I'm sure my pancreas would agree.

I could google and post links to support any theory I like too, but that'd be pointless. I can only offer what I know from personal experience.

I'm curious, what sort of fitness do you do? Simply put, what do you need energy for? Do you do anything in particular? Run? Walk? HIIT? Lift? Swim?

I run Marathons, i do 400-500 lbs power lifts with less than 50 carbs a day. Whats your point?
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options

Question: If someone had said "You should eat a banana before bed," would you call for proof?

Yes, because that would be a ridiculous thing to say. Why a banana, and why "before bed"?

Cooool.. I did not know milk had any at all. But the sources I found still have bananas higher "per serving." Whatever.

I tend away from both, TBH, and go for avocados.

As another respondant mentioned, it's to provide electrolytes and avoid nighttime muscle cramps.
  • CheeeekyChap
    CheeeekyChap Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm low carbing at the moment, feel free to add me :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    You need to take a potassium supplement before bed.

Proof ?

because that would be a ridiculous thing to say. Why a banana, and why "before bed"?

hmm. If someone asked me about potassium, banana would be my first thought. I know it's not the best source, it's just a commonly mentioned one.
    That said, I take a cal/mag/D and don't get any charlie horse type cramps unless I'm dehydrated. and yes, it doesn't need to be at bed time.
  • BevRodriguez52
    Options
    You may also need more calcium. Calcium supplementation is recommended due to loss of bone density as we grow older.
  • BevRodriguez52
    Options
    I agree with your reply. I love the phone app with the pie chart showing the breakdown of fat/protein/carbohydrates. My daily caloric intake is 1200 calories with a carbohydrate goal of 25%. I like the reminders if I exceed my goal, and I can modify my next meal.
  • tarcotti
    tarcotti Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I have a allergy to wheat so I only eat small amounts a day. But its all about calories in calories out. Low carb alone isn't a magic weight loss plan. It doesn't mean you can't do the low carb thing though. As long as your doing calorie counting, the weight will come off. I cut out wheat almost completely for the first few months just because lots of carbs don't keep you full. This is why people tend to lose weight doing it, because they are eating better fuller foods, so they are eating less. which comes back to calorie counting yet again. There's also the fact that eating less carbs makes you retain less water, so of course the scales will show a difference. I think everyone should just do both honestly, it makes everything easier.

But if you want a piece of toast, have a freakin piece of toast. Avoiding it for days will lead to you to binge eating.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I have a allergy to wheat so I only eat small amounts a day. But its all about calories in calories out. Low carb alone isn't a magic weight loss plan. It doesn't mean you can't do the low carb thing though. As long as your doing calorie counting, the weight will come off. I cut out wheat almost completely for the first few months just because lots of carbs don't keep you full. This is why people tend to lose weight doing it, because they are eating better fuller foods, so they are eating less. which comes back to calorie counting yet again. There's also the fact that eating less carbs makes you retain less water, so of course the scales will show a difference. I think everyone should just do both honestly, it makes everything easier.

But if you want a piece of toast, have a freakin piece of toast. Avoiding it for days will lead to you to binge eating.
    Avoiding toast may make you binge. Doesn't have that effect on me.
  • baconslave
    Options

Only if you are obsessed with toast...
    Now if we were talking about chocolate....nah. I don't want that stuff any more. It no longer has power over me. Neither do chips, french fries, pizza, or soda.

Why all this "but"? Eating better fuel, feeling fuller, and naturally eating less are positives. I'm pretty sure no one is under the delusion that there is magic involved in low-carb diets. Just sound principles and great benefits.

Certain carbs cause some people to crave more carbs. So they don't eat them. So they don't binge. So they eat less. So they lose weight. Sounds normal and entirely rooted in Reality Land to me.

I never understand why so many people feel so threatened by low-carb diets that they have to discount them off-hand constantly. Because it's cool to put low-carbers in their place? No one is forcing anyone else to give up anything. Except maybe doctors...but that is for medical issues. Low-carbers who aren't doing it because a doctor said have their own valid reasons. Like me. I'm a carb addict. Oh the binges they set off. I've mastered them and my appetite. I now have a healthy relationship with food, and I don't feel deprived whatsoever. What's wrong with that? Precisely nothing. It's entirely practical and based in reality.
  • 111YoYo111
    111YoYo111 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    What is fruit? Little balls of naturally occurring sugar. You are not craving sugar because you are eating sugar.
  • tarcotti
    tarcotti Posts: 205 Member
    Options

Now if we were talking about chocolate....nah. I don't want that stuff any more. It no longer has power over me. Neither do chips, french fries, pizza, or soda.

Why all this "but"? Eating better fuel, feeling fuller, and naturally eating less are positives. I'm pretty sure no one is under the delusion that there is magic involved in low-carb diets. Just sound principles and great benefits.

Certain carbs cause some people to crave more carbs. So they don't eat them. So they don't binge. So they eat less. So they lose weight. Sounds normal and entirely rooted in Reality Land to me.

I never understand why so many people feel so threatened by low-carb diets that they have to discount them off-hand constantly. Because it's cool to put low-carbers in their place? No one is forcing anyone else to give up anything. Except maybe doctors...but that is for medical issues. Low-carbers who aren't doing it because a doctor said have their own valid reasons. Like me. I'm a carb addict. Oh the binges they set off. I've mastered them and my appetite. I now have a healthy relationship with food, and I don't feel deprived whatsoever. What's wrong with that? Precisely nothing. It's entirely practical and based in reality.

Someone mentioned toast, that is why I said that. And I don't believe that everyone here is deluded into thinking its a magic diet. But there are some that come to MFP thinking that ONLY doing low carb will allow them to lose weight. I was just explaining why low carb does actually work, but because it comes down to calorie counting. There are plenty of people NEW to MFP that need to know stuff like this. We are in the "Getting Started" forum after all. I'm not talking to anyone experienced, I'm talking to newbies. And I'm not threatened by low carb, I do it daily, it works but only because I'm eating lower calorie, filling foods to make up for it. I don't feel deprived either, I AM one of those people who has to avoid it for medical issues but I've also learned to eat healthy. Its not a big deal for me either way. There is nothing to argue here, I'm not exactly sure why you feel that I'm saying the opposite of what your saying because I'm not. Did you miss the part where I said I think low carb is a good idea and everyone should do it because it makes you eat more foods that actually fill you up? I'm so confused.
  • charisseb84
    charisseb84 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I don't understand all the people fussing about low carb diets being bad. If it's not your diet then why do you care? I can personally attest to low carb and it's effectiveness. It's not a good diet for everybody but it works great for me and many, many others!
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Options

Someone mentioned toast, that is why I said that. And I don't believe that everyone here is deluded into thinking its a magic diet. But there are some that come to MFP thinking that ONLY doing low carb will allow them to lose weight. I was just explaining why low carb does actually work, but because it comes down to calorie counting. There are plenty of people NEW to MFP that need to know stuff like this. We are in the "Getting Started" forum after all. I'm not talking to anyone experienced, I'm talking to newbies. And I'm not threatened by low carb, I do it daily, it works but only because I'm eating lower calorie, filling foods to make up for it. I don't feel deprived either, I AM one of those people who has to avoid it for medical issues but I've also learned to eat healthy. Its not a big deal for me either way. There is nothing to argue here, I'm not exactly sure why you feel that I'm saying the opposite of what your saying because I'm not. Did you miss the part where I said I think low carb is a good idea because it makes you eat more foods that actually fill you up? I'm so confused.

Very narrow view, it might work for you because of that reason. For me macros not calories have biggest impact on weight gain or loss. First law of thermodynamics is not end, for some second law of thermodynamics has bigger impact.
  • randomgyrl
    randomgyrl Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have pcos and insulin resistance. I stick to 60 or less (normally less) carbs a day per doctor/nutritionist orders.
  • Kristyai3
    Kristyai3 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I started carb cycling a month ago after hitting a plateau. I do 2 days LC, 1 day HC, 3 days LC, 1 day HC. I just can't manage to pull the trigger on a strictly low carb lifestyle. I get most of my carbs on the high carb days from fruit, vegetables and whole grains. I'm not sure if it is the lower carb days or kicking starchy veggies and white flour from my diet, but I've lost 14lbs in the last 4 weeks.
  • baconslave
    Options

Someone mentioned toast, that is why I said that. And I don't believe that everyone here is deluded into thinking its a magic diet. But there are some that come to MFP thinking that ONLY doing low carb will allow them to lose weight. I was just explaining why low carb does actually work, but because it comes down to calorie counting. There are plenty of people NEW to MFP that need to know stuff like this. We are in the "Getting Started" forum after all. I'm not talking to anyone experienced, I'm talking to newbies. And I'm not threatened by low carb, I do it daily, it works but only because I'm eating lower calorie, filling foods to make up for it. I don't feel deprived either, I AM one of those people who has to avoid it for medical issues but I've also learned to eat healthy. Its not a big deal for me either way. There is nothing to argue here, I'm not exactly sure why you feel that I'm saying the opposite of what your saying because I'm not. Did you miss the part where I said I think low carb is a good idea and everyone should do it because it makes you eat more foods that actually fill you up? I'm so confused.

Don't be confused. No offense taken by your post nor meant by mine whatsoever. The last paragraph was separated from the rest as a general commentary. And I apologize if you felt it was addressed specifically at you.

I was merely adding my two cents on everything you said. I did see where you said that you think people should do both. It is true that it isn't magic. But many people pull out the "low-carb isn't magic" line and follow by highlighting what is wrong with low-carb diets or just discount them altogether as silly and misguided because they bother with all the carb counting instead of plain, simple CICO. I wanted the newbies to understand, too, the good things about it. Why it is a valid approach. I heard "but" in your post, a slight negative, and it appears I mistook your tone. Hazard of the medium. Apologies. And I realize I'm too blunt sometimes.

Low-carb is excellent for portion control, you are right. :flowerforyou:

There are a group of people though who do report that they are able to go into ketosis and lose weight at a calorie level above their TDEE. That when they achieve high-fat, mod-protein and carbs at ketosis level, they do still lose, without a calorie deficit. It must seem like magic to some, but without insulin mucking up the works, it is possible. Not for me though.