is there anyone like me?

Options

Replies

• prettigirl01
    prettigirl01 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I hope you've found some motivation in the responses. I applaud you for being honest. I can definitely relate to what you've said here. I've learned to now worry about how many times I start and stop something. Worrying is a meditation on *kitten* and I'm not going to be worried. Whatever I do I want to own it. There was a time I owned being fat, I owned my poor diet, I owned my poor health. I still didn't want to workout. But there would be a moment, an instance, where I'd make one better choice, even if that meant something as simple as not eating that last cookie or drinking that last soda. Slowly, slower than a snail going uphill in molasses in January, I wanted to own less of my unhealthy choices and more healthier ones. I've decided now that what's more important to me is to be healthy no matter the cost. I still wish I didn't have to work out, but now I see it as a means to an end. I can talk myself in and out of all kinds of situations. So now I'm choosing to be healthier. Again, I applaud you for being so candid. I think that speaks volumes to knowing yourself well. And I think that's the type of thinking that if you continue, you'll find yourself right where you want to be. Because if and when you "start again" you'll be doing it, not to finish some program you paid for, or to please someone else, you'll be doing it because you want to.
    not to sound corny but this really almost made me tear up. thank you so much for your response
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    JSF. You either really want it or you don't. If you don't give up for now. When you really want it you will do it.
  • prettigirl01
    prettigirl01 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I really appreciate you all taking the time to respond to this I really do. thank you. it means a lot and I will take everything everyone has said into this journey with me. like I said there are no excuses as to why I am doing this to myself. I either want it or I don't and I want to show the world that I do. my problem is trying to make too many big changes at once and it is overwhelming for me. im trying to move to fast and look for results too soon. when I hear that someone has long 12 pounds I feel like I need to rush into some type of plan so that I can lose as well and I know it doesn't work like that. I continue to fall but I will always get back up and try again. I don't want to stay down. I am going to do this!
  • AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I think most of us can relate (whether people want to admit it or not). I was super lazy, if I hadn't been I wouldn't have gotten to a staggering 245 lbs! But I made small changes I can live with and made a commitment to myself. Baby steps. Keep trying. Find ways to make it fun and make sure its something you can maintain for a long time. (I have an exercise bike in my living room and PVR all my favourite shows and only let myself watch them if I'm on the bike (and pedalling lol). When some shows are really good I don't even really notice that I'm exercising and many times go longer than I'd intended to.)

I've cut out most processed foods (not saying this is the key to success, just the key for me) and exercise pretty much every day (but only for like 15-25 min cuz I get bored lol). I have a cheat meal every week and slip up when the ice cream fairy comes to visit but I keep trying. I've lost almost 30 lbs in the last 3 months and feel amazing for it. Once you start seeing results its a lot easier to maintain the effort.

Good luck!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    As another poster said---maybe you're not ready for this right now. After a few more years of gaining and sitting around, you may wake up and get motivation. Maybe not. Everyone on here has to decide for themselves to make a change. Changes become habit and there you go--off to the races! I sincerely wish you the best and hope you decide to make those changes now----so next year you'll be glad you did. :smile:
  • sherylscitneypavlacka
    Options
    my problem is trying to make too many big changes at once and it is overwhelming for me. im trying to move to fast and look for results too soon. when I hear that someone has long 12 pounds I feel like I need to rush into some type of plan so that I can lose as well and I know it doesn't work like that. I continue to fall but I will always get back up and try again. I don't want to stay down. I am going to do this!

^ ^ ^ With this mind set - You already won half the battle! Don't give up!!! You will get there!!
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    This is why I began with martial arts, because I have zero motivation on my own. Now I do that, the gym and power walks. I try to do SOMETHING every day. It does become habit if you keep it up.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You just have to want it bad enough. It took me 10 years...
  • ASH2038602
    ASH2038602 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I often dont want to put the work in, but I do it anyways. This isn't a vanity thing for me ( I am not saying doing it for vanity is bad.) This is my health, my body, and mine AND my sons future. I am fighting for my ****ing life here. I am only 25 years old, and was damned sick of sitting on a park bench watching other people playing with their kids, I was sick of feeling sick all the time, I was sick of wondering if I would die in my 40's like some family members. I dont want to work a lot of times, but I get off my *kitten* and do it anyways.
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I read this quote somewhere on MFP earlier today and it seems appropriate:

Working out is hard.
    Being fat is hard.
    Pick one.

No one can force you to do anything you don't want to do. You just have to flip a switch one day and decide that you're in it for good and follow through. You have all the tools you need to start getting into shape so no excuses!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,837 Member
    Options
    I want to lose weight but I don't want to put in the work.

There is why the phoney diet pills and exercise gimmicks are a billion dollar industry. And none of them work.

So I will tell you like I tell my kids. Life is choices. Each choice has certain benefits or consequences, or a bit of both. You know what they are most of the time and you make the choice, good or bad.

So you want to lose weight. If you chose to tackle that it requires consistent exercise and healthy eating. That is work. If you don't do the work you are choosing to remain overweight and out of shape. There is no other way around it.

Best of luck.
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    When you want it you will do the work.

Until you want it you will be where you are....

No one can give you anything that will make you want it enough to do it. You must give that one thing to yourself. Only you know what it is.......
  • Wenchiness
    Wenchiness Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I spent most of my adult life being fat, trying diets and failing miserably. Then my "Fat Dr." put me on MFP strictly for the calorie counting feature. Once I was told I could eat mounds of food (very honestly more than I usually ate until I binged) I found that losing weight wasn't really that hard, and I have quit failing. Once I was capable of doing a little bit of exercise (and when I started I needed pain pills to do that) I longed to do more and get fit. This time I have no fear of failing because I'm doing it right. I'm eating far better, but I still treat myself daily with something I have the calories for. I will be honest and say I don't love walking, the elliptical or weight training, however I do love what it has done to my once morbidly obese body and continue to do it for the great results. I sincerely wish I had done this at a much younger age, but we all start where we start. I've got this now. I'm not afraid of failure returning to the agenda.
  • waltcote
    waltcote Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    If you find reason enough to get it done then the work won't be as hard as you make it. If looking pretty is your reason that's one thing but being healthy and getting a better functioning body that doesn't rely on meds or the like to be well. I always knew I needed to lose weight but it was always someday. Being put on blood sugar meds was my wake up. having diabetes in my family history was good enough motivation for me. Just trying to extend my expiration date out a few more years if I can help it. I feel better and yes do look better.The work was and is worth it to me. :bigsmile:
  • Annabear3
    Annabear3 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I've been there. So many times over the years I've said "this is it!" but never really made any long term changes. I totally want a quick fix and get a little freaked out if I don't see instant results. Personally, I had to hit a point where I just knew I had to change. That was seeing myself as I really was, pushing 300 lbs. I made the decision to do this and it started off pretty good. I've had plenty of low moments where I didn't want to eat my veggies, I wanted a piece of cake! I've had to teach myself what food is supposed to be.

As for working out, I do a lot of walking. My husband and I have turned it into an adventure and have explored the neighborhoods around us in detail. We critique houses and get ideas for what to do next in our yard. We found hidden playgrounds and will take the kids there for some play time. Just moving and eating better really go a long way. But it won't work if you don't want to do it. I think you really want to do this, but are a little lost on how to make the change. You can totally do this and I'll be rooting for you!
  • LifeOfBrian78
    LifeOfBrian78 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I lost 70 + pounds without doing any exercise or weight lifting. I did it through diet alone. But I realize now that it was the wrong way to go. You should at least do some weight lifting so that you don't lose muscle mass while you lose weight. Please learn from someone who learned the hard way.

Also:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Edited to add: Yes, my ticker says 60 pounds lost. I have gained some back due to quitting smoking.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I'm just gonna leave this right here...

Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice.
    -Wayne Dyer

It's about moderation not deprivation. There are no good/bad foods, only bad eating habits. Do or do not, there is no try. You have to want it, you have to work for it, you have to realize that only you can do it.

Read these:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1346163-change-your-mindset

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ihad/view/the-path-of-success-631437

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819925-the-basics-don-t-complicate-it

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1217573-so-you-want-to-start-running

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

TL:DR the link right above this one then ->http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

Excuses??? http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2014/06/02/the-no-excuses-play-like-a-champion-challenge/

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

Want to lift heavy things?
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Stronglifts Summary
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary

Stronglifts Womens Group
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    As you can tell by looking at my ticker and date joined, I just started myself, so I'm right there with you.

I did start my weight loss at the beginning of August and since then have lost 45 lbs (last weigh-in was 266 something), though.

What has helped me somewhat has been

-eating non-cream based soups (lots of sodium, though).
    -drinking calorie-free drinks
    -having things like celery, carrots, cabbage, broccoli, kale, etc around to snack on between meals.
    -replacing oils/butter with cooking spray
    -using something "similar" to the "My Plate" method: eating: 50% veggies/fruit, 25% protein, 25% grains for each non-takeout meal.
    -trying, trying, trying to limit fast food consumption. If I do get something, I only get the sandwich with a diet pop, or maybe a small chili in place of the fries.
    -having healthier low-calorie easy to cook foods like eggs, tuna fish, microwavable frozen veggies, etc.

I *attempt* to focus on moderation and including cleaner foods in my diet.

I'm not giving advice, just sharing some changes I've made. I have a history of depression and bingeing, so I have some ground to cover.

I'm sure once you find what works best for you, you'll be on your way to success.
  • jayscionz
    Options
    1st off you do not want to put in the work? 2nd your diet not on point for sometime sorry but you cannot reach a goal like this honestly.

At least if you had your diet on point and not put in work just being in a caloric deficit would make you loose some weight.

If you have both together you can achieve the impossible if dedication is there.
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Last year, I really wanted to start running. I didn't want to work for it, but I wanted to be a runner. In February, I started working for it. The first few months were boring, and I wanted to quit. Then, one day, I reached a goal.

Do you know how good it feels to reach a goal you never thought you'd reach?

That feeling made it all worth it. I kept up. I kept walking, and now I'm running. I keep making those mini goals, because reaching those mini goals makes me feel so unbelievably good.

Now? I wonder why I didn't start sooner. I wish I would have forced myself to put in the work.6 months from now, you'll wish you started to day. So put in the work, force yourself. Because the work is worth it.