Looking for a 300cal mini meal?

Options
Hi,

I know I have an issue during the week...and its my hunger bug arrives around 3:30-4pm. My body seems to naturally want a meal at this time. I always try to push the hunger away until dinner is done but it never works...so while I'm making dinner, I eat all the things in the kitchen. Then I don't want my kids to see me not eat dinner so I eat dinner also.

I wake up at 5am, have breakfast somewhere around 6am, eat lunch at 11am then go (or try to) til about 7pm when dinner is done cooking.

When I lost weight before, I used to just eat a second lunch then have something small for dinner, but now that I have 2 young girls and a husband, I want to sit and eat dinner with everyone and don't want to set any bad examples for my kids.

I'm trying to figure out a filling mini meal, I pushed stuff around in my day to make room for about 300 cals and still let me have dinner with the family.

Any suggestions on something portable? I'm also trying to keep my macros in check, so more protein is good. Also, looking for stuff with not chicken in it, since I eat that nearly everyday for lunch in different forms.

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I would not be able to go for 8 hours in the afternoon either...

Scrambled egg whites w/ a little 2% cheddar, some veggies: very filling and could do this for 100-150 calories depending on quantities. Apple slices w/ peanut butter for 100-200. 100-calorie bag of popcorn, 1 oz cheese, and some berries would be about 300.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I eat 4 meals - 7:30am, 11am, 3 pm, and 6:30pm. My kids get home from school at 3 and they are hungry too, so we all have a snack together.

Fruit and cheese is a favorite, so is yogurt or smoothies. I try to get something with protein, like some nuts, cheese stick, cottage cheese, boiled eggs, or yogurt.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Do you have an insulated lunch bag? If so, I would try yogurt plus a fruit or veggie. I just checked the yogurt I ate at lunch. It was a 0% Fage Greek yogurt with a sidecar of honey. That was 170 calories. You could eat that plus an apple. You don't have to go fat free either though. Fat is more filling. I just got the 0% because I wanted the honey, lol.

If you don't have a way to keep yogurt cool, try nuts or a nut butter (the latter is generally around 180-190 for 2T) and a fruit or veggie. Or maybe some lite bread. I think it's Nickles that has a lite bread that is 45 calories. With two slices of that you could have a sandwich. Or one slice plus some strawberries.
  • AceCC86
    AceCC86 Posts: 71
    Options
    I would chew my arm off if I went that long between lunch and dinner!

I always have a Greek yogurt, protein/fiber bar, veggie cup or all of the above close by so that I don't have to worry between meals.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    For a 300 calorie high protein snack I'd do greek yogurt or cottage cheese plus a hardboiled egg and some raw veggies or berries for variety. I also quite like smoked salmon as a protein-based snack.
  • keefmac
    keefmac Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I've bought some protein bars to try, 300kcals and look nice.

As said above eggs are very filling too.

A tuna salad comes out pretty low calorie was as well..
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Toast, cottage cheese, avocado and tomato for around 200

Hummus, carrots and some chips for around 250

An ice cream

Anything you want -300 is quite a lot - you could have a sandwich ..200 on bread, chicken, salad, mayo
  • dcarter1020
    dcarter1020 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Tagging this so I can come back and reference. Thanks!
  • pplastics
    pplastics Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Everyday I bring to work 1 cup of greek yogurt mixed with 1 tsp honey and stevia and an apple. On days when I ate a light lunch, I might throw in a few almonds.

My morning snack is usually pistachios, string cheese and grapes or carrots.

Always keeps me full till my next meal
  • MommaMeatus
    MommaMeatus Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Poached eggs on toast with no butter and a good low caloric low calorie rye bread

2 large eggs - 140
    2 pieces deli world rye bread 110 or weight watchers bread or wonder thin (140 but still low)
    250 all told.

My go to breakfast!
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    Mozzarrella omlette. 2 eggs and 30g mozzarrella. Will fill you up, has lots of protein and no chicken.

You can cook it in the morning and take it to work, even with a side salad.
  • sbjmorgan
    sbjmorgan Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    1/2 c pistachios shells on (160) + clementine (35) + hummus + cucumbers. That should keep you full and depending on the hummus, be around 250-300 cals.
  • qb63
    qb63 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I eat all the things in the kitchen

I got the strangest mental picture when I read this part. :laugh:
  • bigsistruck
    bigsistruck Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    130 calorie turkey burger with an 80 calorie bun, and a low calorie Greek yogurt (such as Dannon Light and Fit). This is what I have for supper most nights! I get the 99% fat free turkey burger and cook them all ahead of time (make sure to weigh them to get the right calorie amount)!
  • MonaLisaLianne
    MonaLisaLianne Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I know some people don't like to eat "fast food" but I find that a small Wendy's chili is extremely satisfying, lots of protein and beans are good for you too - and it's only 180 calories. For me, something hot sticks with me longer than cold foods.
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I can eat just about anything. When I'm trying to hit my protein macro with very few calories, I usually go for

a can of tuna in water (90 calories),
    one egg (70 calories),
    half a cup of brown rice (108 calories?),
    and add about 30 calories of leafy veggies.

I love fish and eggs. I like to blanch (is that it?) the veggies for a hot second.

I also love beans, all kinds of beans. So I like to put a cup of canned black beans (about 220 calories) with tuna or chicken.
  • craftytasha
    craftytasha Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My lunch time is typically around 11 or 12. It depends on the day's schedule. I get home around 3:15 most days and eat immediately when I get home. Leftover veggies are always good, a piece of fruit and a granola bar, small amount of leftover pasta, whole grain toast with peanut butter (make sure to only put 1-2 tbsp of peanut butter, those calories add up!), 1 cup of leftover soup, trail mix and fruit, cottage cheese, veggies and hummus, the options are endless. As you can see I'm big on leftovers and clean eating. When I make dinner, it's usually ready around 5:30 or 6, a bit earlier than most families.
    Hope this gives you ideas!
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Whole wheat toast with nut butter.
  • avoidtheclapp107
    avoidtheclapp107 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt and a spoon of peanut butter. It's a delicious, creamy breadless PB&J.
  • snoringcat
    snoringcat Posts: 131 Member
    Options