Defeated!!

Options
Jla408
Jla408 Posts: 1,830 Member
I was so proud of myself, I did 2 miles in 34 minutes. Until I looked online and saw how most people do two miles in under 20!!!!! I've been at this for over a month! To keep at that speed, I am doing a very fast walk for me. I am 306 lbs. Any tips?

Replies

• thismamarox
    thismamarox Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Honey...don't base your accomplishments (or down play them) on what someone else can do... Even at my most fit (160 pounds) I could not run a 10 minute mile. You will get better as your endurance increases. I think it's absolutely amazing that someone who is 306 pounds can run that far that fast!
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Comparing yourself to others while on your own personal mission is a quick way to find yourself feeling the way you do. Use yourself as your own measuring stick. Don't worry about how much others lose, how fast they run, or how much weight they can move in the gym. Set personal small goals and try to improve on them every week if possible. Everyone who runs always says to run or walk at your own pace. That is great advice!

Push yourself to get your heart rate up and keep at it, your times will start to drop as the weight begins to come off.
  • madeleineld
    madeleineld Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    That is NOTHING to sniff at! I'm constantly surprised at how fast people are able to run, I did a C25K running program and still had a hard time sustaining more than 4mph. When I'm walking, it's closer to 2.5MPH. I think it's MORE valuable to look at what it's doing to your heart rate--is it just a slow relaxing walk? Are you able to have a conversation? Are you getting out of breath? If you're trying to get weight loss cardio benefits, I think you just want to make sure your heart rate is up enough that you feel like you're challenging yourself.

That said, I truly believe that the most important thing to think about is--do you enjoy the walk? Do you feel good after you do it? If you find an exercise that you like and you can keep up, that'll do much more good for you than trying to match someone else's speed.
  • berto23
    berto23 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    For your weight that is very good time. Keep it up!!!!! Your time will improve when your weight goes down some. Also it takes time to get in shape. Good job!!!!!! Also start weight training specially for your legs.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I was so proud of myself, I did 2 miles in 34 minutes. Until I looked online and saw how most people do two miles in under 20!!!!! I've been at this for over a month! To keep at that speed, I am doing a very fast walk for me. I am 306 lbs. Any tips?

Most people doing 2 miles in 20 minutes aren't 306. When I was 275 I could get my 2 mile time to come in at 30 minutes. My best right now is 19. I'm also 45 pounds lighter.

Keeping work at it, lose some weight, strengthen your legs.
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Do not give up! The first miles are the hardest. The more you run, the faster and farther you will go. I started out at 260 pounds about 3 years ago. I am approaching 180 and have completed several marathons. You CAN do this. My best tip for you at this point is to try the C25K app. It will guide your workout and build your speed and endurance.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    If you judge what you do by other people, you will always find someone faster, stronger, or better. It's just the way things are. What is important is did you do better than you could have even a few months ago? Are you improving? You did good!
  • bigblues11
    bigblues11 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    That is an awesome accomplishment! Always keep in mind that you are faster than those sitting on their couch! Take care of yourself and don't worry about what others do :) Great job!
  • Jla408
    Jla408 Posts: 1,830 Member
    Options
    I can easily walk 5k, as I do I almost daily. And since a back injury, I have a lot of difficulty running so do not want to run 5k, I just want to walk as fast as I can as it doesn't put as much pain on my back. I am trying to increase my speed and do shorter distances. I would love to be able to do 2 miles within half hour. That is my newest goal.
    Thank you everyone for the positive encouragement. It does mean a lot!! Here is to tomorrow's workout.
  • sudmom
    sudmom Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Woaaaa.... That is great! My husband runs 8-9 minute miles and runs circles around me. Consistency is what you need. With running, the more you do and the longer, the better you get. Good luck and keep it up!
  • KokowithaK
    KokowithaK Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Also remember that you are doing a fast walk whereas people who do 10 minute miles run the entire thing. The first time I ran a mile (as an adult) was a little over a year ago and it took me 15 minutes. While that's considered slow, it was a huge win for me as I hadn't run a mile since I was a kid and I had just quit smoking a few months prior. Fast forward a year and now I'm running daily at a 10-12 minute pace and doing half marathons. It doesn't happen overnight and will take a lot of practice. There's no rush and it isn't technically a 'race'. Go at it at your own pace as you want this to be something you do for a lifetime; not something you quickly accomplish and then stop. Good luck!
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

That is a personal record. My advice is don't stop if you what to get to faster two mile run. You will get there as the weight comes off.
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    When it comes to walking and running, always compare to yourself in the past, not others in the present. I struggle with that often, but always when I am able to think back on where I used to be, I am always pleased with where I am now. I had a fairly disappointing race recently but when I remembered back to February, I remembered that I wasn't even sure if I would be able to do it at all, regardless of the time.
  • katsmo
    katsmo Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Comparison is the thief of joy.
  • thepandapost
    thepandapost Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Comparing yourself to others while on your own personal mission is a quick way to find yourself feeling the way you do. Use yourself as your own measuring stick. Don't worry about how much others lose, how fast they run, or how much weight they can move in the gym. Set personal small goals and try to improve on them every week if possible. Everyone who runs always says to run or walk at your own pace. That is great advice!

Push yourself to get your heart rate up and keep at it, your times will start to drop as the weight begins to come off.

So, so true.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    You're doing great. Keep up the good work!
  • allofme32
    allofme32 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Comparison is the thief of joy.

She hit the nail right on the head!!
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Don't compare yourself with others. Work on being better than you were last week, yesterday...

When I started exercising I could do 5 minutes on a bike and thought I would die, but the next week I could do 6 minutes and I slowly worked up my speed and length of time. If I compared myself to others at that time I would have given up, but I did the best I could on that given day and at that fitness level.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Please give yourself credit for what you are achieving. So what, some others do this or that. This has been your major achievement. One day you may go faster or you may not. Discovering you can do more now than you did back then is also an achievement.

Never give up. If something is not working, try something different. Most of all be Proud to be You. You are the only one we have. You are a one off and can do everything you do to the best of your ability, no one else could be you.
  • Tab122377
    Tab122377 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    DONT COMPARE YOUR SELF! WAY TO GO AMAZING JOB