P90X?

Options
So... I am interested in trying P90X out and would like more info on it. I have friends that have great success with it. However I need to know if this is the right exercise for me. I know it would have been before I had my baby but now not so sure I have the time. I had my baby 6 months ago and am out of shape, is this a workout a beginner can start? Also, as a new mom I can barely fit in 30 minutes, I dont know if I can do an hour. Any new moms out there that do this? I dont know much about the workout, so if you can fill me in that would be awesome

Replies

• nomoremuffintopness
    nomoremuffintopness Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    So... I am interested in trying P90X out and would like more info on it. I have friends that have great success with it. However I need to know if this is the right exercise for me. I know it would have been before I had my baby but now not so sure I have the time. I had my baby 6 months ago and am out of shape, is this a workout a beginner can start? Also, as a new mom I can barely fit in 30 minutes, I dont know if I can do an hour. Any new moms out there that do this?

Oh how do you log it?
  • Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    So... I am interested in trying P90X out and would like more info on it. I have friends that have great success with it. However I need to know if this is the right exercise for me. I know it would have been before I had my baby but now not so sure I have the time. I had my baby 6 months ago and am out of shape, is this a workout a beginner can start? Also, as a new mom I can barely fit in 30 minutes, I dont know if I can do an hour. Any new moms out there that do this?

If you can barely fit in 30 mins of exercise, I would not recommend the program. I would recommend a program like 10 Minute Trainer. What's great about this program is that work outs run roughly 14 minutes (with warm up and cool down) and you fit them in when ever you get the chance. You can do 1-3 work outs a day. I can send you some info and a video if you would like.

Hope this helps,
    Stu
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    First of all...YES you can do it! I did 1 1/2 rounds of it and LOVED IT! I got great results......BUT it is a time committment. You have to put aside atleast 1 hr per day 6 days a week. Can you do it when ur baby is asleep (early am or late pm) I have 3 kids and I did it, but I am a stay at home mom. When I started it, I couldnt even do a push up....you can modify in the beginning until you get stronger!
    I used a heart rate monitor and added it in manually ( exercise, my exercise, then create exercise and log ur time/calories burned that ur HRM show)

GOOD LUCK!!
  • megteg
    megteg Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    It's up to you, but so far I really enjoy the P90x workouts. Tony is a great trainer, and the workouts are fun and motivating. It does take a lot of dedication to do it everyday. It became unrealistic for me, so I use the workouts more with other DVDs and with running (there's not much as much cardio in the program as I'd like)

If you're worried about time, I think BeachBody also has a few other DVD options that are supposed to be pretty good. There's also P90 - which is meant to get to back into shape for P90x. I'd say, no matter what you end up doing, 30 minutes is still better than nothing, as long as not completing the workouts doesn't discourage you from keeping it up!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    You should start with 30 Day Shred by Jillian Michaels to build up your endurance and strength before embarking on P90X. 30 Day Shred is $10 at Target or Walmart, the workouts are 20 minutes long, there are three levels to build up to.
  • DaddyMantz
    DaddyMantz Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I am not a new mom but I am Dad to three under 6 and have done a lot of P90X. Most of the workouts are about 50-60 minutes with Yoga being 90 minutes. You are also supposed to end three workouts a week with the 15 minute Ab Ripper X. I have a few options for you to get in a 30 minute workout:
    1) Do the warmup, one or two sets, then the warmdown. You might be able to skip the warmdown and walk it off but I really enjoy the warmdown period and it is usually about 3-5 minutes.
    2) Get the 1on1 Workouts with Tony Horton. The 1on1 Yoga is about 45 minutes and it is fantastic. The 1on1 workouts are significantly shorter than P90X in most cases and you can always modify to make them shorter. You can also just buy the workouts that you think you will do.
    3) They have "10 minute trainer" workouts made (I think) for Moms. With a warmup and warmdown it is about 12-14 minutes. You can add a second 10 minute option if you like to make the workout 22-24 minutes. I personally like the P90X and 1on1 much better because the 10 minute trainer is a little too fast paced for me.
    Good luck!
  • nomoremuffintopness
    Options
    You should start with 30 Day Shred by Jillian Michaels to build up your endurance and strength before embarking on P90X. 30 Day Shred is $10 at Target or Walmart, the workouts are 20 minutes long, there are three levels to build up to.

I have this DVD, I love her! I did them before I got pregnant!
  • nomoremuffintopness
    Options
    First of all...YES you can do it! I did 1 1/2 rounds of it and LOVED IT! I got great results......BUT it is a time committment. You have to put aside atleast 1 hr per day 6 days a week. Can you do it when ur baby is asleep (early am or late pm) I have 3 kids and I did it, but I am a stay at home mom. When I started it, I couldnt even do a push up....you can modify in the beginning until you get stronger!
    I used a heart rate monitor and added it in manually ( exercise, my exercise, then create exercise and log ur time/calories burned that ur HRM show)

GOOD LUCK!!

I work full time so in the morning and evenings Im exhausted. My favorite time to workout is in the morning, but I cant seem to get my butt up any earlier. I wake up at 530 and am busy with the baby from the moment I wake up until I leave the house. I cant have any excuses anymore... I need to make time
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    If you start up again with 30 Day Shred you will get the energy you need to get through your day better.
  • gabyp0716
    gabyp0716 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    You could also look into INSANITY. That's the program I'm using and I love it because the frist month with warm-up and cool-down the workouts are about 35 to 40 minutes long. Second month is a little longer. I love that I don't need extra equipment, its all done with my own body resistance and lots of high intensity cardio. Good luck! I can't imagine how hard it must be to find the time. My sister is a mother of two, works full time and does real state part time, I don't know where she finds time. But the things is the more time you find for yourself and your health, the more quality time you are actually providing for family.