Runners!

Options
2»

Replies

• bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Since you're in Georgetown, TX, you might check out the running meetup groups in the area:
    http://running-club.meetup.com/cities/us/tx/georgetown/

You could probably find someone else who runs about your pace.

As for shoes: brand and style depends so much on your preferences and your running gait that it's best to go to a specialty running store for advice. (And if you do that, buy the shoes there: the $10 you'd save by buying them online is the cost of the advice from the store.) RunTex in Georgetown, and Rogue Running in Cedar Park, look like decent options.
  • throoper
    throoper Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I'll be your friend if you want to add me! I'm a runner - just finished my 7th half marathon - and a few years I was definitely one of those people who hated to run. You should sign up for a 5k, it can be a great way to have a goal to train for and they're super fun : )

I really want to do a half Marathon! I have done a 5k and i signed up for one which ended up being moved to Spring. I need to find an other one to do. I should do a 10K, i bet that would be a good mid point, right?

Yeah totally! A 10k would be perfect! The race environment is really fun and it's great to have a goal to train towards. Dooooo it! :)
  • ES110791
    ES110791 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Make goals to to do with running, like a time or a distance, and you will really start to love it and may even make it a hobbie to continue after weightloss. As opposed to just doing it for weightloss which is tedious because you reap no personal reward from it. (At least for me, which is why I hate HIIT training in gym classes and things like that)

I started running for weightloss but now I know i'll continue it forever. If there's one positive thing my eating disorder gave me, it's that.
  • mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I started running this year, and I'm running my first half marathon in 9 days! it doesn't take long to become really addictive, I found after I completed my first 5k (first ever race) I just couldn't wait to see what I could challenge myself with next. I spend a lot of time reading running books and research haha.

I never run with anyone else, I kinda prefer it alone, but I think after a while you can get sick of your regular routes. Races can be a nice way to add variety, meet people and it would be nice if you wanted to go somewhere different where it might be a little unsafe on your lonesome. Like my area has some really beautiful scenic spots, but it's so remote I just don't feel safe to run it alone. I know a couple of spots where a lot of people run, so going there occasionally to break it up is nice. Do you guys have Park run in the US? my local area has a regular 'Park Run' every Saturday and they go out for brekky afterwards, and I found out about that through a lady I met at my last race who'd asked if I could take her picture. Also Meetup.com have running groups.
  • Runcakes
    Runcakes Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I've been running for about a year and a half now and I just did my first half marathon this past Sunday. I never hated running, but never in my life did I think I would become a runner like this..but here I am!
  • goanothermile
    goanothermile Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Which brand do you recommend? I need to find a really good pair!

I have run in Mizunos or Asics for years. That might not work for you.

Go to a good store and let them fit you. Find the one that feels the best. Don't worry about the brand.
  • bizzely
    Options
    I've always admired runners, and about a two and a half ago I started running but I was never really serious about it or even totally enjoyed it but now I'm trying to have it become part of my everyday life. I try to concentrate less on how fast I'm going and more on enjoying my runs and it's totally different and much more enjoyable then pushing myself to go faster. I'm still super slow, 10 min mile. I just signed up for my first 5k at the end of October which I've wanted to do for like five years now. But I'm still very much a beginner and would love like minded friends!!! I've run a few good books about running and they have been pretty helpful although I'm always looking for me. Feel free to add me and chat with me about running ect. the more friends I have who do it the more motivated I am!!! -Britt
  • LaraeTX
    LaraeTX Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Friend request sent to a fellow runner and Texan. My personal favorite shoes are Asics, however I've been looking at getting Brooks next time I get a pair. I would definitely go to a running store to have them fit you for the right shoe. I really like Luke's Locker in Austin. They are very knowledgable and friendly.
  • runnergirl0721
    runnergirl0721 Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    It's been said but I recommend starting with the c25k program. It starts slowly but it is worth it and gives you a good start that avoids injury. Also, make sure you get your gait looked at and have the right shoes for your feet. That helped me a lot!
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me! I am a newbie runne-started in April and completed two 5k races before getting runner's knee.
    :-(
    I start PT tomorrow. Thank goodness, because I am going CRAZY not running like I had been. I want to sign up for another race, but not until I know my knee isn't going to start aching after mile 2.
  • jannthompson
    jannthompson Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm a C25K 'graduate' and plan to use it to train for a 10k. I completed my first 5k in August and am doing my second in November. Started off being the furthest thing from a runner, but now I'm hooked. Would love to connect with other runners - feel free to add!
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I'm still super slow, 10 min mile.

I know that's "slow" compared to winning times,or seasoned runners, etc. I dont' know about you, but when I clocked in at 31 min for a 5k last month I was thrilled! To go from not being able to run a mile without stopping to running 3.1 in 10 min miles-I was pretty proud of myself, and I think anyone else who's just starting should be too :-)
    We'll get to those 7-8 minute miles someday.
  • cookiegy
    cookiegy Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Great advice here - couch to5k is what I did, as a forty year old overweight man who hated exercise I started this in May, and ran my second 10k today, two stones lighter.
    I absolutely love it, and feel restless when I don't run. Never thought I would ever say that.
    As others say here,shoes are really important too, if you spend money on anything to help you run, shoes are the key.
    Wish you every success hope you love it as much as I do! Have fun :-)
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Sign up for the monthly running challenges on MFP. We are a supportive group with folks who pledge to run anything from 15 to 250 miles a month.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1460582-october-running-challenge

this is the actual group

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/21182-monthly-running-challenges
  • cookiegy
    cookiegy Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Thanks skippy! I've just signed up now. This place is great :-)

Oh and anyone feel free to add me! It's always good to cheer on friends and it keeps me honest ;-)