Weighing In

Options
Hi everyone!! Question..... How often do you weigh-in and why?

The reason I ask is because I was getting on the scale quite frequently but one day I had a 2lb gain and it totally discouraged me. I know weight fluctuates but if I see it go up even a pound I freak out!! I am thinking about monthly weigh ins but I am not quite sure. I know some people get on the scale daily to keep accountable. UGGHHHH, not sure what to do...looking for some suggestions or what you do....Thanks : )

Replies

• thathelenagirl
    thathelenagirl Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've vowed to weigh in once a week on Mondays, because I started this journey on a Monday and that seemed best. If I got on the scale every day and watched the numbers there I'd probably already be discouraged and have given up. Good luck!!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    You need to do what works for you. Daily weighing is going to freak you out - so don't do that. I'd suggest maybe bi-weekly if you think you can't do monthly.

Personally I weigh in most days, but ONLY Friday morning counts. I log that number - up, down or the same.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    i promised to only weigh once per week, but i weigh every day. i just like to see fluctuations (hormonal, water weight, etc.) and it helps me stay on track. if i can't weigh for some reason (out of town, etc.) then i don't stress or worry. i'm not obsessed, but i like to know.
  • sstolii123
    sstolii123 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I weigh in once a week and I measure about once a month!
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day, in the morning post pee, pre-coffee.

But it's not an emotional thing for me. I realize that weight fluctuates quite a bit depending on many different things. It's the overall trend I focus on.

You should find what works for you. If you're freaking out over 2 pounds, I'd say once a week is probably a good frequency for you.

I can lose 2 pounds after a poo. It's a pretty small fluctuation.
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Personally, I weigh in every day but I try to only concern myself with my weekly average weight. I have a spreadsheet (Google Docs) on my phone that I just plug my weight into every morning and it calculates and graphs my weekly average weight.

I started doing it this way at the suggestion of my cycling coach and I have come to like it. Looking at the downward trend on my weekly average is motivating for me.
  • rgrady33
    rgrady33 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I weigh-in twice a week. I do Tuesday morning just in case the weekend caused some....fluctuations, and Friday as a nicely spaced day from Tuesday. I tend to count only the Friday since I reached my second GW and move more slowly toward my final GW.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I weigh in most mornings. I like to see where I am. :) I think I'm going to cut that back to once every couple of weeks, though. I'm supposed to be in maintenance and I keep losing. I think, for me, the scale is mentally tied to weight-loss, rather than keeping a check. In my case, the daily weigh ins keep me in a weight-loss mindset - and if I lose any more I'll need to buy new clothes again. LOL! So maybe I need to change to every couple of weeks, and rely on my clothes to tell me if I need to start paying better attention.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If the fluctuations are getting to you, go with weekly at the most. I do weigh daily, but I don't let them bother me as long as I'm seeing a trend downward.
  • thismamarox
    thismamarox Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I am a habitual weigher.. I will weigh sometimes a couple times a day...not because I am obsessed over what the scale says, but because I find the human body very fascinating, and I like to see t just how much I fluctuate (weird I know!).

As far as what counts: I always weigh in the morning after I go to the bathroom right before I get in the shower. That just kind of keeps me on track and accountable with myself. My Friday weigh ins are what I track. I almost have my body down to a science. Week 1-3 I will drop about 1- 1.5 pounds a week. Week 4, I will ALWAYS gain about 3 pounds (Damn that week 4!!!) . In the end, it really just depends on you and what works for you!!!
  • corinic91
    corinic91 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    How does this thread show up every. single. day?
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options

Magic. :flowerforyou:
  • rgrady33
    rgrady33 Posts: 48 Member
    Options

Because it is something people think about every. single. day. You know, like "would you marry/spank/workout with/date the person above you?" and "should I eat less than 1200 calories?"
  • staceymarie1971
    Options
    Maybe the new people on here do not see this thread every single day and aren't we here to reach out and support one another not be negative...
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I used to never weigh myself. Now, I weigh often, but I expect it to vary. My weight loss isn't linear. It hovers between a 1-2 lb range and then one day it drops, then it hovers a little lower. As long as it is trending downward I don't stress. Maybe pick one day of the week to weigh yourself
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options

Because it is something people think about every. single. day. You know, like "would you marry/spank/workout with/date the person above you?" and "should I eat less than 1200 calories?"

Stamp!
  • mysweetjenna
    mysweetjenna Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I weigh in once a week at about the same time, before breakfast and after I've used the bathroom :)

HOWEVER, I skip aunt flow week because I know it'll be jacked up-so I don't even bother.

Having a healthy relationship with food/exercise is very, very important to me. If anything starts going the way of obsessiveness, I try to curb that thought/behavior.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Friday morning is my "official" weigh-in. I'll usually step on the scale a couple other times during the week (always first thing in the morning) just to see how things are going. However, I'll stop the extra days for a while if I start obsessing & weighing every day or if the weigh-ins are getting me all stressed out.
  • mom3over40
    mom3over40 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I weigh a couple of times a day.

In the beginning, I did this because the scale went up a few pounds in a short time. So, I thought, maybe I had a big meal last night. Then, I wondered what would happen after I use the bathroom...... So, I started to weigh myself many many times. Then, I found out my scale could go up to 2 lbs difference with no reason. I could reset it and it changes. For me, the more I know how I fluctuate, the less I worry about the fluctuations.

Besides, I think I'm a nerd at heart -- I may just as well open a spreadsheet and chart my numbers, together with the calories burnt, calories intake, hours of sleep etc. and see how they relate... Just not sure if I truly have the patience to do all of that!
  • Maquillage_
    Maquillage_ Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every-day, but Monday is my "official" weight-in. Monday's weight is the one I log on here, regardless if it is more or less than the day before.