Stronglifts...my gym kinda sucks now that I lift....HELP!

Options
Howdy!

I'm doing Stronglifts 5x5 and my gym does not allow free weight use of the olympic bar except for chest presses (you can't remove it from the chest press station).

That being said I've been doing my squats with the Smith machine they have there instead. Would it be better to just squat with the free weights they DO have (which only go up to 60 lbs and right now in the program I'm at 85 lb, so I would have to drop weight..)? I deadlift the 60 lb weight as I don't see how you could deadlift on a Smith machine but that's as high as I can go (although I feel pretty confident I could lift more).

I honestly don't feel like I feel my squats in my bum very much except sometimes the next day and that makes me feel like I'm doing them with improper form on the Smith machine...when I used to use the free weight bar to squat a while back the movement felt more natural...
What do you guys think? Help!

Replies

• BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Squats with free weights/barbells are WAY better than squats with a smith machine IMO.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    If your gym does not have a squat rack with free standing barbell, I would strongly advise against doing Stronglifts. Some of the exercises it has you doing cannot safely be done using a Smith machine, and you WILL outgrow the weight range of dumbbells in very little time (the program's main focus IS strength building after all). Your best bet is to find a different gym, or find a different program that was designed primarily around dumbbells.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    If your gym does not have a squat rack with free standing barbell, I would strongly advise against doing Stronglifts. Some of the exercises it has you doing cannot safely be done using a Smith machine, and you WILL outgrow the weight range of dumbbells in very little time (the program's main focus IS strength building after all). Your best bet is to find a different gym, or find a different program that was designed primarily around dumbbells.

Agree....maybe look into New Rules of Lifting for Women
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Get a new gym.
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I'd personally choose free weights over a smith machine. You can do squats and deadlifts with dumbbells. But are you saying they max out at 60 lbs... as in 30 lb dumbbells? Or 60 lb dumbbells? Because 60 lb dumbbells would mean 120 lb squats and deadlifts. So if your at 85 lb squats you would still have some room for gains. Did I just math that correctly?

ETA: If your gym kinda sucks then get a new gym with free weights and a barbell. It'll be worth it if you want to stick with SL 5x5.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Get a new gym.

That's what I did recently...last gym had 1 power rack and 1 squat rack...new gym has at least a dozen. But shhhh old gym thinks I moved to AZ
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Definitely freeweights over smith. NROL is fine, but if you stick with SL, i'd do a sumo squat (2 dumbbells between knees), or narrow stance squat (2 DBs outside of knees), or both. Great exercises, and more functional than the back squat for most people. They're harder than back squats, so you're unlikely to need more than 60 pounders any time soon. Goblet squats and lunges are good exercises too.
  • rightaboutmeow
    rightaboutmeow Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, I should've been more specific when I said 60 lbs...lol.:embarassed:

They have pre weighted barbells that go up to 60 lbs.

The dumbbells they have a much higher weight range to choose from.

Also I fully intend on ditching this gym for one more suited to my needs once my contract is up, as I do want to stick with this routine and also...what kind of gym doesn't allow you to deadlift??!
    :noway:

Harumph.
    I'm gonna look into NROWLFW and see if I dig it anymore than my current program though too.

:smile:
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options

Also I fully intend on ditching this gym for one more suited to my needs once my contract is up, as I do want to stick with this routine and also...what kind of gym doesn't allow you to deadlift??!

Harumph.
    I'm gonna look into NROWLFW and see if I dig it anymore than my current program though too.

Planet Fitness. That's who.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Yeah when I started lifting, I would go right after work and the squat racks were always taken so I thought "this thing looks equivalent" and I screwed up my back and shoulders.

I now go in the morning...early...

NROLFW, free weights, calisthenics, new gym...ANYTHING but use the Smith machine for SL
  • rightaboutmeow
    rightaboutmeow Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Sorry! Haven't been able to reply until now but thank you for the advice!
    I'll be sure to stay far far away, lol.

I've actually been contemplating a morning routine but I am just SOOO not a morning person, haha. I might just have to suck it up but they don't have real squat racks either way, just the Smith and pre-weighted barbells/dumbbells.

My contract isn't up until April I found out, so I'll be making due until then with some of the advice on here. Thanks everyone!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Harumph.

Planet Fitness. That's who.

LOL I was thinking PF from OP's original post….
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Honestly I am a hater about the smith machine. That thing is complete trash. I hate and refuse to use it even when all other bars are taken. I will wait or work in with someone.