Can I lose weight while on antidepressants

I'm 21 years old and I been taking paxil for 3 years because of anxiety disorder. During that time I gained 10 pounds on it. No matter how much I worked out and no matter what I ate I just couldn't lose that weight. Last week I discontinue it, and immediatly lost 3 pounds which I'm very happy about. But now I started feeling depressed and my anxiety increased, and I feel like going back on medication. I really don't want to because it will make me fat and never lose weight :( Should I stop medication for a while until I get to my ideal weight? What antidepressant is less likely to not cause weight gain? I know Wellbutrin in one that doesn't make you gain weight but my doctor doesn't recommend it for me. For anyone that took antidepressants, were you able to lose weight? How did you do it?

Replies

• heyjude345
    heyjude345 Posts: 66 Member
    I am on Celexa and Cymbalta and have lost almost 100 pounds. Of course it's possible to lose weight while taking anti-depressants....you just have to want it. Take it one day at a time and break your weight loss goals down into manageable chunks. Good luck!