Hungry and angry

Options
Hi all,

I've been on MFP on and off for a couple of years. The good news is that I have lost 35 pounds in the last 4.5 months and I'm down to a size 14. The bad news is that I love food and miss eating carb rich foods. I'm afraid I am going to fall off the wagon soon because I just miss eating 'bad' foods so much. To people that truly enjoyed eating, how do/did you cope? Advice and encouragement needed please.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    You can eat everything you like in moderation. I would be angry too if I gave up my pizza and ice cream. Find ways to occasionally work them into your days.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I think you'll find most of us will tell you we don't label any foods as "bad" and avoid them. I still eat everything I ate before, just less of it.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I still eat "bad" foods - just smaller portions and not as often as I used to.
  • thismamarox
    thismamarox Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want, I just eat in moderation. Super carby foods like Pizza, pasta, burgers, I have one meal a week. Its kinda like having something to look forward to after I have busted my hump all week. If I eat something more carby or fatty than what my diet usually allows (birthday cake, family bbq's ect) I just work out harder at the gym to make up most of those calories. You have to give in to temptation every so often or your weight loss will not be sustainable
  • prncssjnn
    prncssjnn Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Same here, I still eat those foods just in moderation. Not everyday either, even if it fits into my calories, because I want to lose weight but also become healthy, and eating pizza everyday probably wont get me there. I get angry too when I'm craving something but who am I angry at? Myself because I'm choosing to not eat crap? I mean really, you should be proud. Just view them as a treat, don't eliminate them completely.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    If it fits my macros, I eat it. I usually save my bagel and fried eggs for my after workout snack. Other than that, I just got used to it.
  • Lian98
    Lian98 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    First off all, you need to stop thinking of certain food as "bad." When you restrict yourself of a certain kind of food, you will inevitably want to eat it. *Ahh, the lure of the forbidden!* I know everyone has different tips with how to deal with this issue, but my main advice would be to change your attitude toward food. Plan cheat meals ahead of time so that you do not miss the unhealthy food, and recognize that it's okay to indulge sometimes. Try to experiment with new recipes using wholesome, fresh food, even if only on the weekends. Eventually, you will actually like the healthy food MORE than the unhealthy comfort food you were used to. It seems crazy, and I didn't believe it a year ago, but it is true! And believe me, I LOVE food. Absolutely LOVE it. So just take your time. Changing your way of eating takes patience and a positive attitude, but you will not regret it!
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I eat plenty of "bad" foods. But I don't think they are bad. They are just yummy food.

Some yummy things I have had in the last couple weeks include: donuts, pizza, ice cream, M&Ms, caramel popcorn, kettle corn, burgers.

I'm not a person with a very high caloric allotment, either. I just fit it in.
    If we have dinner out and I don't know the calories of something, I don't sweat it.
    Every Friday our besties make a delicious dinner which is probably bad for me. I don't sweat it. Just pick back up the next day.

Have you been limiting yourself to certain food groups? That would make me super enraged. Don't deprive yourself, just go for moderation.
  • LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I did low carb for three months, but for me doing low cab was like being underwater. Eventually I had to come up for air. It just wasn't for me. Not every program works for everyone. Consider something else.

best of success to you!
  • NotSoPerfectPam
    NotSoPerfectPam Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above. That's why I don't want to go on a low-carb atkins-like diet, I couldn't miss my pizza! but Pizza and an occasional piece of bread are the exception. Today I had some homemade chicken pot pie, crust and all, because I made it and it was darn good. Maybe go off the wagon just a teeny bit, but get right back on!
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Eat those foods you like, just in small portions that fit into your calorie count for each day. this will help you avoid the state known as 'hangry' and also avoid binging.
  • sheyii
    sheyii Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. I do try to eat in moderation but ideal portion slices are just too small, 2 slices of bread or 5 tbls of rice is never enough for me, just makes me crave some more and then I get angry:smile: . I wish there was something I could do to stop me loving food so much. I want to enjoy eating healthy but I don't. I have been yoyo dieting for the last 20 years, so I clearly don't have it figured out.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    I have a similar problem my solution was to practice a form of 16:8 IF. This way I can eat those big meals I like so much and still maintain my deficit as I'm not much of a morning eater just makes life easier for me. Add into that I'm casually vicious when in a good mood and no one really wants to deal with me when hungry.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    You can't get encouragement or commitment from an external source.

You're either in to win, or you're not.

Good luck, pick a choice and then commit.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I still eat what I like within my calories (well, most of the time).
  • LessHeavyVeggie
    LessHeavyVeggie Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I don't think of foods as 'good' or 'bad' - I eat whatever I want within my goal.

Try to find ways to make your usual things lower in calories. For example, I love peanut butter and before mfp I used to have a toasted seeded panini with a liberal amounts of butter and peanut butter for lunch most days - I'd realistically estimate this at at least 800 calories. Now I still have peanut butter on toast most days, but I have 2 slices of 'nimble' bread, no butter and 30g peanut butter, which works out as about 300 calories! - less than half the calories and just as peanuty!

For the hunger I have three pieces of advice (just from my experience, I'm not an expert):
    a) try to eat more protein, fibre and low calorie dense foods (like most veggies) which should help you feel fuller
    b) I was hungry for the first week. It was tough and I wasn't sure I was going to stick with it, but I did and from week 2 onwards the hunger just wasn't there any more - I guess I just needed a few days to adjust and get used to eating less.
    c) If the hunger is really a continuing problem and/or you're feeling lethargic etc. then maybe your deficit is too extreme. If you've chosen to lose 2 lbs a week, try changing it to 1.5/1 lb a week and get used to that and maybe gradually increase the deficit later if you feel you need/are able to (although 2lbs a week is really meant for people with a lot to lose). Losing slowly is better than giving up and not losing at all!
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I don't have a clue as to what constitutes as bad food unless it is in the trash with stuff growing on it.

Budget the food you like into your calories for the day or week then enjoy it.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I think you'll find most of us will tell you we don't label any foods as "bad" and avoid them. I still eat everything I ate before, just less of it.
    this
  • rosehips60
    rosehips60 Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    this, this THIS!!!!! don't try to follow a regiment you can't do for the rest of your life
  • Sophiareed218
    Sophiareed218 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Hangry? It's something you're going to have to adjust. You can have bad foods, just smaller portions, or not as often.