Vegetarian/Vegan Friends

Options
I've been a vegetarian for about 8 years and I'm planning on becoming full vegan. I've struggled with my nutrition my whole life and I need ideas on how to improve my diet. I need to eat at least 25% protein and I fall short everyday. I already take one nutritional shake and planning on adding another protein supplement. I would like to get meal ideas from other vegans and also share mine. Feel free to add me.

Replies

• MountainxxFlower
    MountainxxFlower Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    What types of things do you currently eat for protein?

I was vegetarian for 4 years, and I still have extended periods of time where I won't eat meat. Almonds are a good source of protein, as well as some vegetables like avocados and broccoli. Beans and rice also.

I have a hard time getting to the protein goal as well. It is a tricky balance, but I believe that vegetarians are healthier for the struggle :)
  • sheridee
    Options
    Hey! I've been vegetarian for 9 years, on and off vegan, and I'm transitioning to 100% vegan right now.

To get that protein, I think you have to consciously add things like beans to everyday meals. If you add those beans, you will not have a problem with getting that protein in! It's so easy for me to get protein in now that I do that.

I also have a vegan protein powder that I have with a veg/fruit smoothie everyday!

Good luck!
  • OscarZelaya
    OscarZelaya Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I already have these things on a daily basis. I eat oatmeal with different types of nuts. I eat the legumes, beans, veggies and all that stuff. I guess I do get enough for an average person but I'm always paranoid about reaching that percentage which is a little higher than average.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Do you eat meat subs? You make a stir fry and throw in some tofu. You can add tofu to your veggie chili.

Lentils have a ton of protein.

Why are you aiming for the 25% mark on your protein? Just curious... :smile:
  • OscarZelaya
    OscarZelaya Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've never tried the black bean pasta. Have to look for it.

I love meat subs. I try to stay away from too much processed foods so I look for things that are more whole foods. I do a lot of lentils and chickpeas. Our rule in the house is that if we find a recipe that requires chicken, we substitute with chickpeas. Anything with other meats, we use lentils. My wife is pretty good at improvising recipes.

I have set my macro goals to be balanced at 50/25/25. I used to do 40/40/20 but never came close to 40% protein so I had to re-adjust.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I've never tried the black bean pasta. Have to look for it.

I love meat subs. I try to stay away from too much processed foods so I look for things that are more whole foods. I do a lot of lentils and chickpeas. Our rule in the house is that if we find a recipe that requires chicken, we substitute with chickpeas. Anything with other meats, we use lentils. My wife is pretty good at improvising recipes.

I have set my macro goals to be balanced at 50/25/25. I used to do 40/40/20 but never came close to 40% protein so I had to re-adjust.

I don't do meat subs either, I agree about the processed stuff. I don't really stress over the protein macros. I know I am getting enough just by incorporating the usual legumes, quinoa or other grains and veggies.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/926789-protein-sources

Just a little bit of Info on protein sources.

Vegan section vvvvv

Vegan friendly
    Plant-based protein powder (RawFusion) 5.5
    Seitan - generic 5.7
    Mushrooms - raw 7.3
    Spinach - raw 7.7
    Nutitional Yeast 8.6
    Tofu - firm 8.8
    Edamame - shelled fresh 11.1
    Lentils - dry 13.6
    Brussell Sprouts 14.3
    Beans - kidney 14.7
    Kale - raw 16.7
    Hemp Seeds - hulled 18.0
    Quinoa - dry 26.3
  • sakuya3834
    sakuya3834 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I have been eating pumpkin seeds a lot lately as well. They have a good amount of protein too. And delicious!

I am vegan and you can add me if you want.
  • denpe
    denpe Posts: 1
    Options
    I don't know how you feel about baking, but my buddy makes me hemp protein peanut butter cookies to take to school. He says he makes up the recipe as he goes and it only takes 15 mins. Here are some recipes I found online but I would leave out the sweeteners, personally. I find the peanut butter gives it all the flavour it needs.

http://dashingdish.com/recipe/peanut-butter-protein-cookies/

http://poweroffood.com/flourless-hemp-peanut-butter-cookies/

Hope that helps put a little extra protein in your day :)
  • BusyB223
    BusyB223 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post... I have been vegetarian for some time now and feel I don't get enough protein. I will be sure to add more beans to may everyday meals. I truly love black beans. I will look for the black bean pasta as well.
  • lemonsurprise
    lemonsurprise Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I've been veggie for 5 years, but am now vegan. All you fellow vegans - add me!