Cholesterol and tasty food

Options
Doctor jumped down my throat today about my LDL being 120, said I can't eat more than 2 eggs a week, no pork, red meat only once a week :sad: :sad: :sad:

I know I've heard and read anecdotal evidence that dietary cholesterol doesn't impact blood cholesterol as much as was previously suspected. I tried googling, but just got CDC and stuff that said the same thing as the doctor. Anyone smarter than me know anything different?

Replies

• FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    My guess is that the number one factor in your lipid panel will be obesity.
    I improved my numbers significantly by getting to a healthy weight, exercising, and believe it or not, decreasing crabs slightly and increasing fat, including saturated fat. I still eat eggs, red meat and pork...
    You'll have to experiment gauging by your lipid panels. I think your doctor may be using old cholesterol theory and some new research seems to contradict the old ideas...the jury is still out.
    Cholesterol is mostly familial, ie. genetic and I don't think there is much debate about that.
    I've also heard that some people are sat. fat sensitive, and some are carb. sensitive as regards their diet and blood lipid levels.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me the same thing, plus fat free everything, but I don't believe it really matters...
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    decreasing crabs slightly and increasing fat,

those darn crabs!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Doctor jumped down my throat today about my LDL being 120, said I can't eat more than 2 eggs a week, no pork, red meat only once a week

There is no significant relationship between ingesting cholesterol and blood cholesterol.

There is however a link between being overweight and blood cholesterol - so the question is whether or not what the doc is trying to give you is a backhand instruction to restrict calories.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    That number on it's own means absolutely nothing......
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Doctor jumped down my throat today about my LDL being 120, said I can't eat more than 2 eggs a week, no pork, red meat only once a week

There is no significant relationship between ingesting cholesterol and blood cholesterol.

There is however a link between being overweight and blood cholesterol - so the question is whether or not what the doc is trying to give you is a backhand instruction to restrict calories.
    And then there's this to add to the confusion.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Im no doctor. But I listen to mine. If he says monitor your cholesterol intake, do it. Its pretty easy on MFP. My husband used to have high cholesterol ( took statins) and was pre diabetic. He reversed both conditions through diet changes. And he is one of those "naturally slim" guys, so it can happen to anyone.

I dont eat eggs, cheese, and red meat on a daily basis. I get my fat from other sources.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    decreasing crabs slightly and increasing fat,

those darn crabs!
    I know! I love the Alaskan king ones too...

Seriously OP, I think obesity is the largest health risk. Get that under control and retest your lipid numbers.