DEXA scan, how much will you ivest?

Options
7aneena
7aneena Posts: 146 Member
Hello,
So the question is, how much are you willing to pay for a DEXA scan (duel-energy X-ray absorptiometry) to get the "most accurate" body composition measurements?

I am considering it but I can only find 1 place to do it at NYC and it costs 300$ :/ and after this read
http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=260 I am considering other cheaper options like BodPod

What did/would you use? or recommend

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Purpose for doing .....?

Since Bodpod can be 3% accurate (follow the protocols to do it correctly, which is true for DEXA too, after rest day, normal sodium, not sure retaining water, ect - all things that make a valid weigh-in day too).

If this is for body building and you need to know you could safely lose 2% prior to a contest, might be worth it.

If this is for setting calorie levels and see progress over time, let your wallet be your guide.

Even good consistent but possibly inaccurate BIA scales can shown progress over time.

And a calorie level based on BF% is going to be within 5% anyway, so after a month results based TDEE is better if your food logging is accurate.
    Hence what the spreadsheet does.
  • AlanaTedmon
    AlanaTedmon Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Um, yeah, I tend to agree with this guy. If you're doing it specifically for some kind of sports competition or what have you and you're being instructed by your trainer than definitely fly to NYC and get that DEXA test.
    If it's just for personal reasons because you really want to know about your own results than it's much cheaper to just go to a fitness club or a university and have someone do the pinch test.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    My doctor ordered it and it was covered by my insurance. I wouldn't have paid for it out of pocket. It gives detailed information but it isn't necessary for me. The one thing I liked was that it told me my lean muscle mass. It was good to know I do have some muscle under all of this fat. it is low enough that I don't want to lose it when I lose weight. I would save your money