Which one do you think is more accurate.

Options
Since I started in January I have been using one of those old scales where the numbers spin until they land on your weight. Well I recently got a digital scale and it has me 6 pounds lighter. :happy: So I know which scale I like better, but do you know which type is more accurate?

Replies

• wtchywmn
    wtchywmn Posts: 193
    Options
    Since I started in January I have been using one of those old scales where the numbers spin until they land on your weight. Well I recently got a digital scale and it has me 6 pounds lighter. :happy: So I know which scale I like better, but do you know which type is more accurate?
  • AlbertSchwartz
    Options
    i'd say digital, especiually if the mechical scales was old - they are spring driven
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options

Neither, go to a gym, and look on their scale for a seal from the state department of weights and measures (or a doctors office, or a loading dock with a scale), a certification is the only way that you know are truely accurate.
  • Manda86
    Manda86 Posts: 1,859 Member
    Options

Neither, go to a gym, and look on their scale for a seal from the state department of weights and measures (or a doctors office, or a loading dock with a scale), a certification is the only way that you know are truely accurate.

I use a scale at my parents' farm usually used to weigh nuts that I know is state certified- could always just drive around looking for random orchards, I spose :)
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Haha, I just had this funny image in my head of you in one of those basket scales we used on my parents farm for produce.
  • timisw
    timisw Posts: 391 Member
    Options

I use a scale at my parents' farm usually used to weigh nuts that I know is state certified- could always just drive around looking for random orchards, I spose :)

I always knew you were a Nut!!! ~smiling~ Now it is for certain! You even weigh yourself on a certified nut scale!
  • Manda86
    Manda86 Posts: 1,859 Member
    Options
    *sigh*...

it's true..

lol
  • timisw
    Options

I would go to the doctors office and weigh yourself. Immediately afterwards, go to bed bath and beyond and weigh yourself (without eating/drinking/depositing). You will be able to find one that is close.

Definitley digital does a better job, but make sure your in the same amount of clothing on the same hard surface. Or your results will differ (especially on carpet).

I would also look into getting one that does an estimate of fat/water/muscle/bone content. While only an estimate, if your fat lbs are going down, and your muscle lbs are increasing, and your are remaining the same weight (or even gaining weight) your doing a GOOD thing!
  • wtchywmn
    Options
    "I always knew you were a Nut!!! ~smiling~ Now it is for certain! You even weigh yourself on a certified nut scale! "

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Sorry - I still haven't figured out how to use the quote
  • timisw
    Options
    *sigh*...

it's true..

lol

The nut part is true?

Its not a bad thing! Crazy is a good thing!
  • timisw
    Options
    "I always knew you were a Nut!!! ~smiling~ Now it is for certain! You even weigh yourself on a certified nut scale! "

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Sorry - I still haven't figured out how to use the quote

Just click quote next to that persons reply.

But MAKE sure to delete the OTHER quotes and only keep the last one. Otherwise it turns into the GREAT scroll fest!
  • wtchywmn
    Options
    Just click quote next to that persons reply.

But MAKE sure to delete the OTHER quotes and only keep the last one. Otherwise it turns into the GREAT scroll fest!
    [/quote]

Duh! How did I ever miss that. It's right there as plain as day and I did not see it. :noway: I hope I'm not losing my brains along with the weight.
  • wtchywmn
    Options
    OK - Now I really feel stupid:grumble: I clicked on your quote, deleted the rest and it still din't work:explode: I think I need a nap:yawn:
  • sapphyre0702
    Options
    Just for fun stick a 10lb weight on each to see. We had a sliding number scale and found out it was registering 5lbs lower... though that is probably harder with a digital one.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    side note, you can "quote" what ever you want by just putting

"square bracket symbol open" quote "square bracket symbol close"

(replacing "square bracket symbol" with the actual symbols)

before some text

then
    "square bracket symbol open" then a slash (/) quote "square bracket symbol close"

at the end

LIKE so:
    this is me typing, not someone else.
    you can even nest quotes all on your own.
    Like this.

why, you could have a whole conversation with yourself. :bigsmile:
  • wtchywmn
    Options
    Just for fun stick a 10lb weight on each to see. We had a sliding number scale and found out it was registering 5lbs lower... though that is probably harder with a digital one.

I love that idea. I have a 5 lb. weight at home and I am going to try it.