I really need help, I really don't want to take medication

This is a long post and I had talked about it before on this forum but I need someone to help me.

I have been suffering from social anxiety disorder since I was 14. I can't relate to people or anyone and never had any friends in school. I was always a loner with no friends to hang out with in school and I would never talk to anyone in class.I would only go out with my family on holidays and weekends only and nobody else. I never went to a party in my life, have a night our, or anything. It didn't really bother me but when I turned 18 I realized how horrible my situation and started going to therapy. I felt so depressed and I want to live a normal life. I need to take medication such as antidepressants but I really don't want to take it. I used to be really fat before and 3 years ago I started working out at the gym everyday and lost a huge amount of weight which made me happy. Then a year later I started medication and was put on Paxil. Ever since then I gained 10 pounds and no matter how healthy I eat and no matter how much I exercised, I couldn't lose that weight. For 2 years I saw no results in my workout and healthy lifestyle. A week ago, I quit medication because I felt so frustrated and I'm finally losing all my weight which I'm extremely happy about. But now during the day I get depressed and my social anxiety increased. I want to take medication again but even with medication I still couldn't make any friends. I'm crying everyday because I feel I need to take medication but If I did that then I will never have the body I always wanted. The next time I meet my therapist I want to tell her that I want to change medication. I was thinking of Zoloft, which is similar to Paxil, but I'm not sure. Should I take medication and let it ruin my body or is my mental health more important than looking good? I really feel like i'm in an abyss right now and I want to start being happy. What should I do? Can I one day just get over my problem and stop using medication? Will sertraline also make me gain weight?

Replies

• Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    Not all anti-depressants will cause weight gain. Talk to your doctor about your concerns and they may be able to find a different medication that will help you but not impact your weight.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Not all anti-depressants will cause weight gain. Talk to your doctor about your concerns and they may be able to find a different medication that will help you but not impact your weight.
    I agree with this, also you are not supposed to start 2 threads with the same subject line!!!!
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member

agreed.deffo get medical advice.