What do you do for clothes while you're losing weight?

Options
I've gone down a size, so my clothes are going to start getting baggy on me....I can't afford to go out and buy new clothes everytime things start getting lose. I just went and bought about 50$ worth from Goodwill. What do you do?

Replies

• MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I wear extremely baggy clothing, lol
  • minervasp73
    Options
    look up the "pinch and pin" method on You Tube (ore where ever) of quickly tailoring your baggy stuff to fit, especially shirts.
  • CynthiaCollin
    CynthiaCollin Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Wanna laugh ? I safety-pinned my pants so they would be tighter and not fall down....lol
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I bought a belt and few things on clearance.
  • pellenga
    pellenga Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Goodwill is a great idea. Maybe ask friends/family if have cloths that dont fit them anymore.
  • MRudman
    MRudman Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    goodwill for me too:happy:
  • NikiDavis
    Options
    My shirts aren't usually a problem. But, I belt jeans and sew a small piece of elastic in the waist (back) of my dress pants if I need to - the elastic cinches them enough to wear. So far, this works. I've not lost enough to worry beyond that.
  • lindastanley82
    lindastanley82 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I bought 2 new outfits and wear them to death! I like your idea about buying clothes from Goodwill. I thought about doing that too.
  • duffylinn
    Options
    You can try freecycle and see if anyone has anything they want to donate :)

http://www.freecycle.org/
  • xXAlana21Xx
    xXAlana21Xx Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    i buy pants that are maybe a size smaller and that are a little tight it keeps me motivated and i know that i would be able to wear them for awhile
  • Kendra7107
    Options
    Hello!
    I took two pair of black pants to the tailor shop and had them taken in. It cost about $12 a pair but it was worth it as they were hanging off of me. That is one option. Of course now they are snug because I struggled in November and December but that is another story. :-) LOL

I wore black dress pants to work most every day just because I didn't want to buy new stuff. It was boring, but worked for a couple of months.

Also, keep in mind that you can have the tailor take up any pants you like. However, they can only take them up about 2-3 sizes, after that they won't hang properly as the material wasn't cut for such a small size. Just FYI.

I must wear dressy clothes to work, so I'm not sure what you wardrobe staples are but I bought a belt to wear with my one pair of jeans and khaki pants. You may have to invest in a couple of pair of pants to get your through the transition. I found it easier with blouses than pants, as some of my things looked a bit big, but were okay.

Good luck!! Even though it's a pain not having anything that fits well, it's a good problem to encounter. :-)
  • melissa1977
    melissa1977 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest Freecycle as well. I gave away a TON of clothes that didn't fit me a few years ago.

Of course, right now I'm dying for the day someone says "Your clothes are so baggy!" :)
  • irishangelmum
    Options
    I lost over 100 pounds pretty quickly and found that my best options for when I was losing weight were 1) a good tailor, 2) consignment shops (almost everything was "like new" and I would get paid for my old clothes then turn around and use that money to purchase clothes in the shop), and 3) exchanging clothes with other women who were losing weight.

I must say, my opinion on it was always that it was a nice problem to have... I loved seeing those size numbers going down! It can be costly on the budget though!
  • knittygirl52
    knittygirl52 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I spend a LOT of money at Goodwill. Of course, at Goodwill that means $40-$50 for a cartload of stuff. The only downside is the amount of time it takes to find something that fits well, is reasonably stylish, and looks good on you. However, it's a lot better than wearing pants that I can take off without unbuttoning them and tops that are so loose that people can't even see that I've lost weight! It's a reasonably cheap way to outfit yourself. I'm a member of Freecycle, but I haven't used it for clothes because people are usually just offering a bag full of clothes in a particular size. I figure the odds are I would either hate them or they wouldn't really fit right anyway. I like being able to try things on. I usually bring in a big bag and take another out with me!
  • jbars11
    jbars11 Posts: 71
    Options
    I've gone down a size, so my clothes are going to start getting baggy on me....I can't afford to go out and buy new clothes everytime things start getting lose. I just went and bought about 50$ worth from Goodwill. What do you do?

I love your rewards that you have listed for yourself....I think I'm going to use that too....now what should the reward be??
  • ZebraGlee78
    ZebraGlee78 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I love your rewards that you have listed for yourself....I think I'm going to use that too....now what should the reward be??

My other goals include (at the 10 lb marks) a Coach purse, a make over, a new overcoat.
  • CuteMommy88
    CuteMommy88 Posts: 538 Member
    Options

I'm in the same boat right now!! I don't want to spend money on clothes that fit right now that are going to be too big if i keep losing weight so right now I am still wearing my same size jeans they just kinda hang off my *kitten* LOL and i have to pull at them all the time but I would rather look crappy for a couple of months than spend a bunch of money on clothes that I can only wear for a month or so :(
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    You can have your clothes altered, but you have to be without them while they're being taken in.

This time, I purchased and wore clothes that fit throughout my entire journey. My husband supported this and I really think that this GREATLY contributed to my success. I couldn't make myself wait until I was thin to feel good about what I was wearing. Loving what I was wearing at every size was a HUGE motivator. It also kept me from getting inpatient for faster losses (you know, THAT ITEM I'M DYING TO WEAR WILL FIT IN 7 MORE LBS!!!). It was also a huge expense, but it was so worth it. For me, that was the cost of losing weight.

Charmagne
  • ladysvs
    ladysvs Posts: 61
    Options
    Clothing swaps! I go to them about twice a year at a friends. We all bring clothes that we don't want/doesn't fit & rummage through everyone elses stuff. Then we all visit! Girls night & new clothes! Fun!
  • rockabyesarojane
    Options
    check out listings for a local tailor. i know that doesnt sound like it's cheap but alot of times they will take in clothes for you at a pretty good price and then you still have a nice closet while paying the good will price. it's completely win win.