Prednisone and Weight

Options
I recently got a kidney (August 31st) and I feel like I'm doing well getting my life back on track. I've been exercising and trying to eat better so I can preserve this new kidney and new shot at life. However, one of the many medications I have to now take is prednisone, which causes both weight gain and an increased appetite - and the increased appetite is really affecting me. I can eat a normal sized meal and know that I'm completely full, but I still feel like I want to eat more. Any commercial on TV for food can lead me straight into the kitchen for a snack. I'm fighting against it, but it's difficult at times. I have managed to lose 5lbs since I've gotten the kidney by making myself step away from the table when I know I've eaten enough, but it's really getting annoying. Any advice? I've been trying to drink more water and keeping myself busy to keep my mind off of food.

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options
    Sorry, can't really help you with that. I was only on that stuff for a few days, and lost masses of weight then. Been on some corticosteroid inhalation spray before and after and lost some more at a lower rate despite trying to eat at maintenance. And I was not hungry at all. Maybe I was busy with other things than eating.
  • andielyn
    andielyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your gift of life! Unfortunately high doses of prednisone causes weight gain, appetite and other long-term bodily affects. You are still in the very early post-transplant period; the further out you get especially if you don't have episodes of rejection, your prednisone doses will be lowered.

Think of the weight gain as temporary and life-saving. Drinking plenty of water is good, stocking up on healthy appealing foods is good, but there's a part of the weight gain that isn't just calories in/calories out related. It IS the prednisone causing the changes, particularly trunk and facial weight.

All that you are doing are good things and will help. And it may seem like a long time to wait but the weight and other side effects will go away with the prednisone doses being lowered.

Good luck, take good care of that kidney, and try to live with the temporary weight gain and keep doing what you're doing. You are very lucky woman. :)
  • lucystacy71
    lucystacy71 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I am very thankful for the kidney and I want to do all I can to preserve it. It took me over 3 years on the list to get it.

My dosage of prednisone was lowered the last time I went to clinic because I had a reaction to it in the past. I took it years ago for bells palsy and it caused bloody blisters on my shoulders that left scaring. So far there are no blisters, but my face is rounder and the weight on my thighs has seemingly shifted to my middle. Right now, I'll just keep doing what I've been doing. Eating normally and drinking lots of fluids.