Long run recovery?

2»

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Eat, shower, eat, nap.
  • 21 sept I did here in the Netherlands a 10 mile run *(toghetter with 65.000 other people) from Amsterdam to Zaandam after the 16 km run which is about 6km longer than the longest I train. I did get a little bit stiff next mornin, what I did was getting on my bicycle and went on a 10km bike run.half way I got off jogged for about half an hour back on the bike and home.
    After that no painfull muscles or whats so ever.
    If I realy feel hungry after doing to much sports I eat some extra fruits as compensation.
    Even when I was at my heaviest *(about 119 kilo) I did 4 or 5 times some sort of training.
    And now with the help of this app I am really losing weight.

Sorry if I made many misstakes but for me English is a foreign language.
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    define long.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    define long.

Not short.

According to Wikipedia it's a distance of at least 5 kilometers.
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    define long.

Not short.

Ha ha.......OK point taken. It's very subjective. Wikipedia is all lies............... ;-)
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    define long.

Anything over 90 minutes is the standard definition in distance running and coaching circles.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    define long.

Not short.

Ha ha.......OK point taken. It's very subjective. Wikipedia is all lies............... ;-)

It's relative but generally longer than your usual run I guess. For me its...

X6bPTXSl.png
  • RunnersLament
    RunnersLament Posts: 140 Member
    Mid range run : 10-21 Km -> Stretching & Foam roller. Chocolate Milk, Kahlua, Banana, egg. Blender. Followed by Hot Tub.
    Repeat as necessary or get on with the day. In general keeping moving helps.

Long Range Run >21 Km -> Stretching & Foam Roller, Hydrate, ice bath for any niggling pains. More stretching & Foam Roller. Beer. Nap. Repeat icing\stretching\rolling\beer as necessary or required. Keep moving!

That being said, I am the poster child for bad running...and my advice is not professional advice. I've had 2 stress fractures in the last three years and have been called crazy by my physio therapist ( of course she was handing me a martini at the time... and that was after 2 halves and a full in 21 days)

My bottom line is this... Listen to your body. Follow a sound training regiment. Develop a routine that works for you. Try not to deviate radically. We are all different and what works for me (while fun), likely doesn't work for others. I prefer a nice wobbly pop post run and find it helps relax and replenish... that's just me though.

Cheers!
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    I consider anything from 90 minutes to be a long run. I will consciously eat and rehydrate well and then get on with the day. Probably enjoy a few treats too. Beer will likely feature later on.....

When I'm up at the 2hr:30 to 3hr:15 range then I tend to be hurting and real tired at the end so I will take a warm bath, read and relax for a while. I try to avoid the temptation to spend the rest of the day on my *kitten* though so I'll try to get up and out, but nothing strenuous.