Trying to lose, Need help understanding this.

Options
Hi
I am trying to lose weight. I am ALWAYS under my calories according to the app. I exercise everyday as well (Generally 1.5 hours a day walking between 3.5-4 MPH, around 4-6 miles per day). I drink about 100 ounces of water a day as well. My nutrition goals are 50% Carbs, 30% Fat, and 20% Protein. I have been hitting my protein and carbs goals, but I always go over on my fats. I have added in my meals for the day, and my fats are at 37%. I just wanted to know if this was acceptable for trying to lose weight. I am under in all other areas, such as sodium, sugar, etc, but I am not under fats. Although, when I look at the breakdown for the day, I haven't actually gone over my fat goal, it is just a bigger majority of my diet since I am a very light eater.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You've been here for two days? You won't see reliable scale movements for maybe three or four weeks. Do you weigh all your food and make sure the values are correct for every item? Calorie deficit is what matters for weight loss; fat % is not important, don't fret with it - instead try to get at least 0.8 grams of protein per kilo of bodyweight per day. If you find yourself hungry for extended periods of time and you haven't set your calories too low, you could try to lower your carb % and up the other two. Good luck.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Its all about being at a caloric deficit. Don't worry about going over on fats, MFP has them set low and there is nothing wrong with fat in your diet. Two days is not long enough to see results- try a month.
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    You say that you're always UNDER your calorie goal. How many calories are you eating/day? You don't want to under eat. That will make things far more difficult down the road. Also, it sounds like you're doing low intensity cardio. Ramp up the intensity and try some HIIT exercise (40 yard sprints, short rest, repeat for ~4-6 times) and do some weight lifting also. Both forms of exercise are great for weight loss.

As for macros, if you bump up the protein content, it'll help with weigh loss. When I'm cutting body fat/weight, I do 40/40/20 macros (protein/carbs/fat). When you reduce your carbs down, your body will use the protein in your diet for energy. This is an inefficient process since your body has to metabolize the amino acids into sugars first, results in less energy gained from protein sources.

Allan