Burning 1000 Cal a workout?????

Options
I'm sure this has been asked tons BUT I burn about 1000 calories per workout (mostly more). MFP has me on a 1200 Cal diet.....About how many Calories should I consume daily. I would just like actual calories that I need posted.....I don't want to have to add and subtract to figure it out. I'm not good at all that. Thank you LOTS : )

I am 5'7" and about 170lbs right now.
EDIT**** I use a HRM

Replies

• mirahonthawall
    mirahonthawall Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    if you wanted to keep your net calories at 1200/day, and you burn about 1000 in exercise, you should be eating 2200 calories a day.
  • reese1206
    reese1206 Posts: 229
    Options
    I will still lose weight this way?
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    I'm sure this has been asked tons BUT I burn about 1000 calories per workout (mostly more). MFP has me on a 1200 Cal diet.....About how many Calories should I consume daily. I would just like actual calories that I need posted.....I don't want to have to add and subtract to figure it out. I'm not good at all that. Thank you LOTS : )

What do you do that burns 1000 cals and for how long! i need to try it lol
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! If you are working out that much, you should be eating most, if not all, of your exercise calories! Your NET calories will still be 1200 - which is what you need to lose weight. If you didn't eat back your exercise calories, your NET would be like, 200 - and you could not survive long on that!!!
  • bethybooo
    Options
    How many times a week do you burn 1000 calories? My aim is to burn 1000 too at every gym session, what sort of stuff do you do? :)
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    You're going to have to do trial and error. Everyone is different. I took advice & started to put my net calories at 1200/day & that was disastrous for me.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Many people make a decision to eat back all of their exercise calories or just half. I eat half of my exercise calories. So if your base is 1,200 calories you would eat an addition 500 calories on top of that to eat half the exercise calories. Of course, adjust it if you're not getting results.
  • Klareese
    Options
    what are you doing to burn 1000 calories each workout? I do strength and treadmill and in an hour burn between 500 - 600. How long are you working out? Just curious....I need to find something that works for me!
  • mirahonthawall
    mirahonthawall Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    yep! believe it or not you gotta eat to lose weight (of course you gotta eat all the good stuff)

because if you ate 1200 calories and burned 1000, your body would be running on 200 cals a day, and if you keep it up your body will start storing fat and you won't lose any weight.

some people don't eat their exercise calories back, some eat them all back, some eat 75% back. you gotta see what works for you, but I think it's important to eat back your exercise calories so your body has the fuel it needs to get through the day and process your 1000 calorie workout!
  • mr_ashley
    Options
    I'm sort of a newbie here, but not a newbie to working out at intense levels for extended periods of time.

Bethybooo, you should really consider any activity that you do for exercise, on MFP's calcs, to be overestimated. For the first few weeks I was doing it, I'd go for a 30 minute run and it would say that I had burned 500 cals. I'm a 200lb dude, mid 30's, so I thought that seemed right. But when I enter my bicycling time and my average speed, there is a HUGE gap between what my HR monitor is showing and what MFP calcs. For instance, 100 minutes out riding my bike at 17 mph comes in somewhere around 1900 calories burned. My HR monitor shows the actual energy output to be around 1200 calories. I take the lower one.

I really do think there is a conspiracy that is buried into our public health policies to underestimate how much we are eating, and overestimate how much we are working out. It just makes good sense to do so, from a capitalistic standpoint!!
  • camille45
    camille45 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    you might end up gaining if you only take in 200 calories after burning 1000 on a 1200 cal diet. thats not enough to give your body the fuel it needs to function and your body may start storing calories which leads to weight gain, if im not mistaken. also depends on how often you excercise.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    As one responder said if you eating 1200 and burning 1000 is like eating 200 calories and not exercising you need to eat most if not all of your workout calories, follow the program as designed on MFP. MFP gives you a caloric deficit at 1200 and if you burn 1000 you must eat that 1000 to keep your deficit the same. If you are calculating calories burned correctly eating 1200 calories and not exercising is the same as burning 1000 calories and eating 2200.

How are you calculating calories burned? If you are not using an HRM you should only eat back 75%ish of you calories and your count may be quite a bit off. If you do have a HRM make sure you are backing out the calories you would have burned at rest anyway (about 1.5/min) so if you exercise for 2 hours and your HRM says 1000 you should only entre 820 (1000-180) and eat all 2020 (1200+820)
  • reese1206
    Options
    Well today I burnt 1108 Calories in 88min
    I did the elliptical for 15min
    Treadmill for 50min
    Spinning for 23 min

Everyday is different. Tomorrow will be about a 90 to 100 min workout. i will do cardio (not sure what yet) and weights. My goal each workout is to make it to at least 1000 calories. I workout Daily....On day 7 it is just the P90X stretching DVD that I do as my Rest day.
  • reese1206
    Options
    I use a HRM Polar F6
    Thank you so much...that helped : )
    As one responder said if you eating 1200 and burning 1000 is like eating 200 calories and not exercising you need to eat most if not all of your workout calories, follow the program as designed on MFP. MFP gives you a caloric deficit at 1200 and if you burn 1000 you must eat that 1000 to keep your deficit the same. If you are calculating calories burned correctly eating 1200 calories and not exercising is the same as burning 1000 calories and eating 2200.

How are you calculating calories burned? If you are not using an HRM you should only eat back 75%ish of you calories and your count may be quite a bit off. If you do have a HRM make sure you are backing out the calories you would have burned at rest anyway (about 1.5/min) so if you exercise for 2 hours and your HRM says 1000 you should only entre 820 (1000-180) and eat all 2020 (1200+820)
  • doobabe
    doobabe Posts: 436 Member
    Options

Well- I am 5'7 too :)
    Your calories will automatically be adjusted for the exact amount that you burn each day in your food tracker. So if you burn 1000 calories- you will receive 1000 extra calories in your food tracker- so I would say as long as you stay within the calories in the food tracker (after you log your excercise) you will be fine.
  • ADKJim
    ADKJim Posts: 1
    Options
    To lose 10# per month you need to consume 1250 calories/day less than you are burning. That is pretty ambitious. Your calorie burn per day is your base metabolism (approximated from your age, gender & current weight) plus whatever you are burning through exercise, both normal daily activity level and formal exercise. Fitness Pal should tell you how many calories you have left after each meal and after exercise sessions if you enter the data as you go. If you can't find your exercise on the existing list check out Bodybuilding.com where they have a pretty extensive list (over 600 activities) in the calorie calculator section.
  • doobabe
    doobabe Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I'm sort of a newbie here, but not a newbie to working out at intense levels for extended periods of time.

Bethybooo, you should really consider any activity that you do for exercise, on MFP's calcs, to be overestimated. For the first few weeks I was doing it, I'd go for a 30 minute run and it would say that I had burned 500 cals. I'm a 200lb dude, mid 30's, so I thought that seemed right. But when I enter my bicycling time and my average speed, there is a HUGE gap between what my HR monitor is showing and what MFP calcs. For instance, 100 minutes out riding my bike at 17 mph comes in somewhere around 1900 calories burned. My HR monitor shows the actual energy output to be around 1200 calories. I take the lower one.

I really do think there is a conspiracy that is buried into our public health policies to underestimate how much we are eating, and overestimate how much we are working out. It just makes good sense to do so, from a capitalistic standpoint!!

I couldnt agree more-
  • reese1206
    Options
    Thank you all
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Also, that 1200 calories limit doesn't work for everyone. Quite a few, but not all. If I eat between 1200 - 1300 NET calories (that's taking my 500 - 650 calories workouts into account) per day, I stop losing weight. I actually have to eat more than that, around 1600 - 1700 before I actually start seeing weight loss.
  • jdigjudy
    Options
    Does anybody know how much metabolism is sped up and how long it's in "burn" mode after a workout like this? I am new to this kind of tracking (where it subtracts off your exercise calories burned) -- not sure I like the way it implies to eat more... how do you figure out the balance there? Is it based on weight?