good idea or no?

Oompa_Loompa
Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
Tonight is going to be my first night back to the gym since like a couple weeks before thanksgiving(eeeks :noway: ) ill be doing some lifting and of course...the dreaded cardio. I kind want to mix it up and try something new. When i was going on a regular basis before I was just doing the ARC trainer(its like the elipitcal but is more of a gliding motion..kinda like skiing) and I was doing that for like 35 minutes. including the 5 minute cool down.
Im thinking for tonight and maybe from now on, is switching up the machines. Like maybe start on the treadmil for 10 minutes. Then hop over to the arc trainer for 10-15 minutes. Then finish up on the treadmil again for another 10-15 minutes. . . does that sound like a good plan? does anyone else have any suggestions?

Replies

• Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Tonight is going to be my first night back to the gym since like a couple weeks before thanksgiving(eeeks :noway: ) ill be doing some lifting and of course...the dreaded cardio. I kind want to mix it up and try something new. When i was going on a regular basis before I was just doing the ARC trainer(its like the elipitcal but is more of a gliding motion..kinda like skiing) and I was doing that for like 35 minutes. including the 5 minute cool down.
    Im thinking for tonight and maybe from now on, is switching up the machines. Like maybe start on the treadmil for 10 minutes. Then hop over to the arc trainer for 10-15 minutes. Then finish up on the treadmil again for another 10-15 minutes. . . does that sound like a good plan? does anyone else have any suggestions?

I would be waking at a fast pace on the treadmil. I cant run lol
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    I did that for a little while too. I found that after I was on the elliptical for about 10mins or so I was able to hit it harder on the treadmill.

Nothing wrong with switching things up if it keeps you going! :) The point is to get the cardio in, not necessarily on one machine. Plus, it's important to train on different things to keep you progressing.
  • Don't see anything wrong with that, as long as you can keep up your heart rate between machines.
  • billylindsay
    billylindsay Posts: 102 Member
    Variety is the spice of life
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    I did a little something different to mix things up and get my work out over quickly so I could get home to watch my shows...I walked on the treadmill at a fast pace untill i buurned 100 cals - then I ran at 6.0 for 2 mins, walked for 2 mins, ran again at 6.0 for 2 mins, etc, repeat repeat...I burned 400 cals in 40 minutes doing this.
  • RodgerBuckley
    RodgerBuckley Posts: 48 Member
    Variation is certainly better from what I understand. Apparently it's a good idea to 'shock' your body from time to time by changing your routine - and that advice came from an ex-Miss Universe who was still in very good shape for her age.

You could also try alternating your exercises by going to the gym one day, then walk up a hill for an hour the next. Personally I find fast walking uphill for 40 minutes seems to burn more calories than going to the gym and doing a 90 minute session. I then use some small dumb bells to do some work on my arms, shoulders, and chest in the house - usually between 5 and 15 minutes depending on how I feel.

Good luck with it Umpy Lumpy :bigsmile:
This discussion has been closed.