Barefoot running shoes and shin splints?

Options
Anybody used barefoot running shoes to help prevent shin splints? I'm curious about them, and I'd like to stop getting shin splints.

Replies

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend stretching your calves and doing circles with your feet to stretch out your shin splints.

I'm not sure about toe shoes, but when I used to jump rope, I got TERRIBLE shin splits. That's pretty much the same motion you'll need to use while running in toe shoes (on the balls of your feet, not heels) so my guess would be they are not a solution.

They supposedly make it easier on your joints, but shin splints are still likely a muscle inflammation in most cases (possibly stress fractures though). Unless you overpronate when running? Then maybe at least getting the toe shoes might (?) prevent you from collapsing your foot arch, though generally a shoe with an arch support would be recommended in these cases.

Try going to a local running store where they have experts who can look at your shoes and tell how you step when you run.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    My form is fine, my foot strike is how it should be.I'll have to try the foot circles you mentioned.

I'm just not sure if I am fine for barefoot shoes, every running shop I head into, they recommend these huge heeled monsters.

I guess I'll have to take a leap of faith?
  • VeryKatie
    Options
    Do you land on your heel or on your toe? No point in having cushioning on your heel if you don't land on it. Toe shoes would be the worst if you land on your toe. Keep in mind it's not recommended to change your gait to make a shoe work. The shoe needs to work for you. You could also go see a doctor (podiatrist) and see what they recommend. You'd never be obligated to buy shoes from them - but you could get a feel for if you need the big heeled monsters or something different.
  • VeryKatie
    Options
    Also - you should see if anyone else here has pointers. I only just got into running so my opinion might not be in the majority, who knows!
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Do you land on your heel or on your toe? No point in having cushioning on your heel if you don't land on it. Toe shoes would be the worst if you land on your toe. Keep in mind it's not recommended to change your gait to make a shoe work. The shoe needs to work for you. You could also go see a doctor (podiatrist) and see what they recommend. You'd never be obligated to buy shoes from them - but you could get a feel for if you need the big heeled monsters or something different.

I land on my forefoot, so I guess that's the ball of the foot. I'll have to get someone to analyze my running form again and see a podiatrist I guess.