1st 10K is on Nov 2nd. Will I die ?

Options
a buddy called me out on a 10 K and I didn't back down, signed up pretty much the same day. Now after running my first 5k back in july and my second next week... i'm starting to have some serious doubts. I mean even on the treadmill @ 4 miles my legs and feet are screaming...

any advice or support would be appreciated

Replies

• gabbo34
    gabbo34 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I don't have any advice, but will offer my support. i think you'll be fine. I just finished my first 5k a couple of weeks ago, am doing my second one in 2 weeks and started the 5k to 10k app this week. I had started adding extra time to my runs when I had time. Stretching out to 35 then 40 then 45 minutes was like getting used to 10/15/20..it just sort of came.
    With 4 weeks, you have time to really start stretching out your distance. And I know for me, the 10k will be more about finishing than time.
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Try running for 5 mins and walking for 1 minute on your long runs. You can use this strategy on the day if you don't feel ready to run the whole 10k. I am actually faster when I do run/walk than if I just try to run slowly all the way. You probably won't die either way;)
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    have you been training for a 10K out on the road? You won't die, but you might feel like it. you will do fine, just stop at all the aid stations to catch your breath. I'm running a 10K oct 26 and a half marathon nov 16. good luck on your run.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Try running for 5 mins and walking for 1 minute on your long runs. You can use this strategy on the day if you don't feel ready to run the whole 10k. I am actually faster when I do run/walk than if I just try to run slowly all the way. You probably won't die either way;)
    Exactly this. I have run over a dozen half marathons using this method. I'm much faster when I run and walk in set intervals. That minute of walking gives you a chance to catch your breath, slow your heart rate and regain some energy. The trick is not to run until you HAVE to walk. You don't want to get that tired because it's then really hard to start running again. Give it a try on your next training run.
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I think you'll have a miserable time if you go out at the same kind of pace as your 5k runs.

If just slow it down, lets say 1 minute slower per km then you'll reach the end just fine. If you're concerned then start a bit slower than that and at the midway point you can speed up if you are feeling good.

Have fun and enjoy a beer afterwards :drinker:
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine. You have a month.

Ditch the treadmill. Run 3x/week (at least) and add a half mile or mile to your weekend run every week. If you can do 4 this weekend, by the race you'll be at least up to 5.5, and then adrenaline can get you the last 0.7 miles.

If you increase one mile per week, 4 this weekend, 5 the next, 6 the next, then either 7, or repeat 6 depending on how you feel.

eta; and don't worry about pace on your runs.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Ugh @ treadmill training for real running races.

Actually, just ugh @ treadmill training for anything. Ever.

Oh, sure, I know...there are plenty of supposedly valid reasons for using a treadmill...but honestly, compared to running outside...aka *real* running, it's awful. And the carryover isn't as strong as you might think it would be.

TL;DR - I hate running on treadmills.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    You won't die!

I'm not a runner - but I do walking 5k's and have my first 10k walk this weekend. To prepare, I've been walking a 5k every other day and a 10k every other day - with one rest day per week. Best advice - if the 10k is outdoors do as much of your prep as you can outdoors - it's much different that a treadmill.

Best of luck! You can do this!
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options

Oh, sure, I know...there are plenty of supposedly valid reasons for using a treadmill...but honestly, compared to running outside...aka *real* running, it's awful. And the carryover isn't as strong as you might think it would be.

And also with you.

OP -
    If you go outside and run on your own, just pay attention to how 'hard' your run feels - rather than stopping, just try slowing down and running at a reduced pace.

It sounds to me like you'll already be able to run 6 miles if you just slow it down a tad. You can also just try getting on the treadmill and setting it at a slower speed to start out with and see how you do, but assuming that you're running this race on the street and not on the treadmill, I recommend you get some training miles in on the asphalt.

the difference is not insignificant.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I heard somewhere that if you carry heavy rocks it makes you a better runner. I guess you don't use them in races and it feels easy compared to practice or something.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    If you can make it 4 miles on the treadmill you'll be fine. As others have said, it's easier outside. Give it a shot. Also, you may want to get fitted for new running shoes; having the proper shoes can make a huge difference.
  • kbolton322
    kbolton322 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    you wont die... you might feel like you will... like others have said get out side and run... I can't stand being on a treadmill for more then 30minutes but get me outside and I can go a 10k no problem...
    Good Luck!!
  • SueInAz
    Options

Oh, I am so with you on this. I can't run for more than about 2 minutes on a treadmill without wanting to shoot myself.

Unless you set that treadmill at a significant incline you're not preparing yourself for running outside. It's less boring but it's more difficult because you're pushing against the ground to propel yourself rather than just keeping up with a backward-moving belt.

OP, training for an outdoor race should definitely be done outdoors. Slow your pace down a bit and you may find that the four miles you're struggling with now is much easier.
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Run/walk that bish.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    I just did this! I hadn't even done a 5km program. I had run 5km 3 weeks before the race (did about 5 weeks of a C25K 12 week program which I had started 3 months in advance. Then I took break after break). I posted to this forum 4 weeks before my 10k and everyone said I wouldn't be able to do it. So, feeling discouraged, I stopped training but still went to the race intending to walk as much as I had to even if it took me 2 hours.

I'll have you know I ran that race in 1:24 (I actually think they messed up my time since a few of us got lost and started the race late and I think they forgot to adjust the time. But whatevz, it's close anyway). AND I only walked for 3 minutes because I just had to pee sooooo badly! Had to let it all settle. That's about a 13 min/mile, but still. Ran the whole thing. My knees killed the next day, my foot was sore for 2 days, and now I'm completely back to normal!

So it CAN be done. It's funny because I tried running on a treadmill a week before the race and couldn't even do 1 mile of running. So something about race day changed that.

I will say - train... be careful of injuries, listen to your body (in case it responds differently), rest properly, but GO FOR IT! WOOO!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Just bring your treadmill with you and have the RD certify it ;)

...Well, all the good advice has been given.
  • SueInAz
    Options
    I just did this! I hadn't even done a 5km program. I had run 5km 3 weeks before the race (did about 5 weeks of a C25K 12 week program which I had started 3 months in advance. Then I took break after break). I posted to this forum 4 weeks before my 10k and everyone said I wouldn't be able to do it. So, feeling discouraged, I stopped training but still went to the race intending to walk as much as I had to even if it took me 2 hours.

I'll have you know I ran that race in 1:24 (I actually think they messed up my time since a few of us got lost and started the race late and I think they forgot to adjust the time. But whatevz, it's close anyway). AND I only walked for 3 minutes because I just had to pee sooooo badly! Had to let it all settle. That's about a 13 min/mile, but still. Ran the whole thing. My knees killed the next day, my foot was sore for 2 days, and now I'm completely back to normal!
    Congrats to you for doing it anyway, even though the naysayers said to not do it.

It always drives me crazy when people in this forum will tell someone who is asking that question that they can't do a race and shouldn't even try. Walking is ALWAYS an option, run/walking in intervals makes it a lot easier than running the whole race, and sometimes the goal is just to finish, not to finish it fast or run the whole distance. Just because someone thinks they can't do it themselves is no reason to tell someone else they can't or shouldn't even try. There are, of course, exceptions to this rule especially if there is an injury but that's a case by case thing. If the OP states their goals are just to finish or even to run/walk it, they shouldn't be told they can't or shouldn't do it.
  • IsaCaliBel
    IsaCaliBel Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I hope you don't die... otherwise I'm doomed, lol!
    I have my first 10k at the end of this month. I'm following Hal Higdon's 10k training program, so far so good.

73529108.png
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I like Sonic's idea, myself.

No. You won't die. You will think you are. But you won't.

The funny thing that is going to happen is that you are going to sign up for another one. And then a Half Marathon because you figure if you can run 6.2 miles, what's a few more to make it 13.1. Right!?! It's a slippery slope. I see a Full Marathon in your future.

Happy Racing!