Trail runs...should I buy a camelbak?

Options
Good afternoon...

Over the past 6 months I've steadily increased my trail run mileage. I now do 20-25 miles a week with one long run per week, 10-13 miles. The terrain is pretty rugged, elevation gains of 1500-2000 ft and lots of exposed hot hot hot trails and rock formations. I'm in LA.

I feel that I need some hydration for the longer runs. I bought a Nathan handheld bottle and used it with some success. I alternated between forgetting about it and wanting to hurl it into the woods while screaming profanities.

I'm considering buying a CamelBak, but would love opinions/ thoughts on the matter. I look forward to extending my longs runs even farther and need to figure this out.

Many thanks!

Replies

• SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    If you are making sure you are hydrating well in the days immediately before your long run then you'll be fine without water at 10 miles. If it's really hot then it's probably worth taking a little.

As is sounds like you are keen to keep increasing your distance and you are on routes that don't have a handy shop to grab a bottle of water from, then you've got a couple options; water belt or backpack bladder.

I have both and I like them equally. I find pro's and con's of each.

The belt has a velcro fitting so it doesn't move around or bounce and 4 slots for the small contoured water bottles. It's very comfortable. However it can be fiddly to get the bottles back into the slots whilst on the move, particulalry when tired and several times I've dropped one and either kicked it or trod on it.

The bag is my choice for when I'm running in rural areas because it has more storage space for a phone and (ahem) emergency toilet supplies. It's really easy to sip from the tube. On the downside, your back gets hotter than it otherwise would and the noise of the water sloshing around gets bloody annoying. The one I have now has a chest strap and a waist strap. This makes for a much more secure fit than one I had before with no waist strap. I've only had 1 litre and 1.5 litre bladders. I'd imagine that more than that is heavy and uncomfortable. There are plenty of decent and much cheaper options than camelbak.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I always take my camelbak on trail runs over 15 miles
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    When I used to do long runs, for some reason I hated camelbaks and really anything that i had to wear on my back or around my waist. I would just carry a bottle of water with me, and switch from hand to hand. My running group thought I was weird, but for some reason I just preferred it.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    They are a pain... but I can't carry enough water in just handhelds for my longer runs....even though just handhelds are my preference
  • LotusAsh
    LotusAsh Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    yes, when I was training for my half marathon, it was vital to be able to carry that much water. They are a pain at first, but after a couple of adjustments they fit well
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I have a TNF Flight Series waist pack that I've been using, it has space for 2*500ml bottles and a small pouch that'll take a couple of gels/ phone/ keys. It fits pretty well and cinches in close so that it doesn't bother me when I'm running. I've found that good enough for a 15 mile training run.

I've also got a Camelbak style pack, that I originally got for mountain biking. I've used it a couple of times, and it's comfortable enough. Needs the bladder to be drained of air, otherwise the splashing around becomes a bit irritating. The biggest issue I find is having to stop to get into it. A dedicated running pack will have pouches on the waist belt, rather than just a nylon belt, which will allow you to keep the gels in those, easily accessible.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I do not do trail running, but I do hike quite a bit. I personally would not go into the wilderness without water... not even 2 miles. The last hike I went on was in August (I've been pretty busy lately) for 12 miles. It was hot and humid... I had a 3L bladder that was almost gone at the half-way point (at a lake beach) so I refilled. Granted, there was a lot more time at hiking speeds vs. running speeds. And I sometimes tend to drink more water than others. Still, I can't imagine going out without any water at all.

Edit: Also, the bite tubes are quite convenient compared with a bottle, IMHO. You can see the tubing in my profile pic, and I have loops in the straps on my backpack so it doesn't flop around. I can just grab the end of the tube, raise it up to my mouth, bite down to release water, and drink. I have an insulated tube with a cap (that is attached) for when it is cold outside (to avoid freezing the water in the tubing).
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I don't like to do it. But in your situation I would recommend it. I'd also throw in a 1st Aid Kit with ace bandages, sunscreen, enough food to last you 12 hrs if you really get in a pickle, and some bug spray. I know this adds weight, but if you're 6 or 7 miles from your vehicle and jack up your ankle...what are you going to do?

From having done 3 adventure races you'll also want to pace your water intake or you'll drink so much you'll puke. I time mine to take a swig every 20 minutes.
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I use a Salomon vest that uses two 17 oz soft flasks that are kept in front pockets. The pack can also accommodate a bladder in the back for those times I need more water but so far I haven't needed to use it. I've gone through the gamut of various hydration packs and so far the Salomon has been my go to both in training and during my trail races.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Yes, I would get a Camelbak. You're doing pretty long runs and in LA. I agree w pp who said he wouldn't even go 2 mi wo water. I always bring water, I'm also in CA.
  • softwind
    softwind Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner, but I recently got one for long bike rides since my new bike doesn'thave water holders. I got the Nathan brand (cheaper than Camel Bak and more comfortable) and it worked great.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I don't like to do it. But in your situation I would recommend it. I'd also throw in a 1st Aid Kit with ace bandages, sunscreen, enough food to last you 12 hrs if you really get in a pickle, and some bug spray. I know this adds weight, but if you're 6 or 7 miles from your vehicle and jack up your ankle...what are you going to do?

From having done 3 adventure races you'll also want to pace your water intake or you'll drink so much you'll puke. I time mine to take a swig every 20 minutes.

Yes, I concur. Anytime you go into the wilderness, bring the 10 essentials. The extra weight may seem like a bad idea at first, but we're talking about 10-15 lbs. tops and besides potentially saving your life, this will also add some calorie burn to your workout.
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Try it out. You might like it. I used something similar for much of my summer running. Just make sure it's secured and tight or you will get chafed. And even if it is, after you start reaching a certain mileage, it might chafe still unless you lubricate.
  • rontuu
    rontuu Posts: 23
    Options
    I personally can't handle either. Both the camelback and carrying water drive me crazy while I'm running. For trail runs, I won't go out a long distance without a running buddy. (Who is usually equipped with all the goodies where I am not. If it's 15 miles or under I just need a couple of GU's and I'm good. Great to have a better prepared buddy though in case someone hurts themselves / an emergency.) For the longer runs through all the paseos I don't even bother carrying water and just hit the occasional drinking fountain. It's certainly hot, especially with this brief heat wave. (I'm in the Valencia area.) I would definitely recommend the camelback though if you're going out by yourself on those trail runs. Along with some other basics.
  • Lesleycali
    Lesleycali Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Edit double post
  • Lesleycali
    Options

Yeah, this just dawned on me...that I could be out quite a few miles and hurt myself, and then I'd be stuck for a bit. I take my cell phone, but reception is spotty out there. During the weekends there are more people out and about, but during the week I sometimes go for 2+ hours and don't see anyone. I've been meandering off the main fire roads/ trails and taking some less traveled paths.

Thanks for the reminder to be prepared!
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Call me paranoid but esp since cell reception isn't great, I'd also carry bear spray/whistle/alarm or some other kind of self defense? I used to run with a super-loud alarm thing. Doesn't sound like the safest places to be running alone.
  • Lesleycali
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies, I will definitely check out the other brands you all have recommended. The vest idea sounds interesting. I've never tried waist belts but I think they would ride up on me? I feel like I've always had that problem with normal clothes/ accessories ...but maybe I should head out to an RIE and see.

Thanks again and have an awesome weekend!
  • raysputin
    raysputin Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    If you do out-and-back runs, take two half-size bottles. Stash one at the half way out point (1/4 distance) and go on with the other. Collect the stashed one on the way back.
  • Lesleycali
    Options
    Call me paranoid but esp since cell reception isn't great, I'd also carry bear spray/whistle/alarm or some other kind of self defense? I used to run with a super-loud alarm thing. Doesn't sound like the safest places to be running alone.

Well, I'm more afraid of getting some injury than being attacked (by animal or human- although there was a mountain lion spotting on the trails recently!) Of course some self defense lessons wouldn't hurt. I just figure I'm more likely to get into a car wreck than run into some danger on the trail.... I hope...:ohwell: